Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
If Apple had the guts and released a 5" 1080p phone with redesigned iOS that would make me leave Android. Anything less I'm sticking with my Note 2

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
If there's no innovation this stock will continue to nose dive.

I love my Apple products but I'm hatting AAPL as a stock right now :(

Continue to hold. The resistance at $400 will be fierce! Remember, the target is north of $1,000.00.

----------

I'm glad I skipped the iPhone 5 beta release. :p
I went from the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4S and I'll go for the 5S.

The sPhones are always the best. The hold value longer.

Think about it. The 3G is too primitive to even consider, but the 3GS is still kind of cool. The 4? Bleh. But the 4S? Still a good phone.

Likely the i5 will meet the same fate as the other non-s phones: relegated to second class status. And it looks like it is going to happen sooner, rather than later.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Quickly... Since Mr. Jobs sad passing, Apple seems to be on cruise control.

People said similar things (about Autopilot/cruise control) when forum members were starting to get bored with the iPod lineup just a few months prior to the rumors of the very first iPhone. I'm not saying that they have another new product to reveal...but I'm saying it can't just be forum members who notice that things are awfully quiet.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
The 5s could make use of on IGZO panel. These panels allow smaller borders around the screen. ( and use less power )
For the 5s apple could use the same form factor as the 5, but with a different front, with virtuallly no borders next to the screen, and less empty space at the top and the bottom of the screen.
Then, Apple could make the 5s with a 4.25 to 4.3 inch screen, they could squeeze it in there.
If they would keep the same res as the 5, it would still be a 300+ ppi screen.

This could certainly be a possibility, and you could still operate the device with one hand.

Add NFC ,
a smaller (energy saving) and slightly faster a6
a slightly better camera
new 4g chipset(worldwide coverage) which consumes less power
Offer it in more colors

And you have a very powerful new phone

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
But what new products would you expect?

Back in the day there were desktops and laptops.

Over a period of years Apple innovated with the iPod, then the iPhone and iPad.

Now, in 2013, they have a range of devices, covering a range of fairly specific uses on screens of the following sizes:

4"
7"
10"
13"
15"
21.5"
27"
30"

That's pretty much every niche covered, every gap in the market filled, with little room for new products in that ballpark.

And if they ever do an Apple television, that will extend that.
So... the range of devices a tech company can make is completely determined by the size of the screen on the device? Does this mean the Mac Mini and Mac Pro are non-products?
I don't see how you can just lump an entire line of products together and say they cover a wide range of uses because they cover a wide range of screen sizes. My iPod Touch is a COMPLETELY different machine than my iMac, and they are used for totally different tasks.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
I also find it very irritating how, for example, Samsung advertise their Galaxy S III screen to be "true hd" and using it as an excuse to slam apple, completely ignoring the fact that the iPhone's retina display in ppi is superior. :rolleyes:

Of course they would ignore that fact. It's called marketing. What, did you expect them to say in the ad "true HD, but with less ppi than retina displays"?

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I hate this obsession with "doing something new" just for the sake of doing something new. I think the iPhone 5 looks fantastic, and its size and weight alone made it a big upgrade over previous generations.

I am old fashioned, but I dont understand the need to change things all the time, just to keep peoples attention. I do understand that Apple is a public company, and public perception is important, but changes just for the sake of it - make no sense to me.

The iphone is a polished and refined product, and with every iteration becomes more polished and more refined - its part of what it is. Other brands make major changes and attach new bells and whistles to their regular new models. I kind of like that Apple doesnt.

I would prefer apples innovative energy to be directed into totally new products, rather than regular changes to a good product, just for the sake of it.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
My upgrade date is in June. I really hope this accelerated schedule happens, because I don't want a phone more than halfway through its life nor do I really want to wait until October to get more than 16 GB of storage again.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Why can't Apple innovate anymore?

We get it, the iPhone was a big hit. Magnificent device! But it came out over 5 years ago and since then all we've had is slightly larger or tweaked versions of it since then. Sure, from the iPhone we've gotten the iPad, the iPad mini, the iPod Touch, and to a lesser extent the many iterations of iOS... but I really think Apple is pushing the limits of how long they can milk this thing.

Yeah, another iPhone. Lighter and faster than the last one. Big whop. How about a new Mac Pro?
When they can sell 50 million Mac Pro's in one quarter, I'm sure they'll consider redirecting their efforts.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
So... the range of devices a tech company can make is completely determined by the size of the screen on the device? Does this mean the Mac Mini and Mac Pro are non-products?
I don't see how you can just lump an entire line of products together and say they cover a wide range of uses because they cover a wide range of screen sizes. My iPod Touch is a COMPLETELY different machine than my iMac, and they are used for totally different tasks.

Eh? What's the difference between me saying "covering a range of fairly specific uses" and you saying "they are used for totally different tasks"? Sounds the exact same thing to me.

And of course the Mac Mini and Mac Pro are devices , but you still need a screen to use them.

The point was that pretty much all the main Apple devices involve using a screen; the kind of task you use a particular device for is largely dependent on the size of the screen and that Apple now pretty much has every task, or niche covered.

Originally the desktop computer.

Problem - not portable. Solution - the laptop.

Problem - can't fit a laptop on your pocket. Solution - the iPod and iPhone.

Problem - the iPhone screen is too small for using on the sofa, and the laptop is too big. Solution - the iPad.

Problem - the iPad is almost perfect, but slightly too heavy. Solution - the iPad mini.

In terms of gaps to introduce new, groundbreaking devices for specific tasks or circumstances of the sort that Apple produce, then there isn't the scope there was when all there was was the Mac.

Last edited:

Mcckoe

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Explanation for order drop

everyone is jumping on this imaginary train of thought that apple is going to be reducing production on iPhone 5. More likely, and so far no one seems to be making this leap, the reduced orders look to be for screens. Its possible that the iPhone 5, 4s, and possibly a new iPhone might be getting the new screen tech, hence the reduced orders. Now, IGZO is available for mass production, the logic follows that the deduction in orders could be for this reason. The logic also fallows because the screen should give close to 2.5x the battery life. makes since, just a shame this tech took so long to mass produce... new devices will seem to have a major advantage with this screen, should drive sales through the roof, not to mention, tell someone they have to charge there phone 1/3 as often and they are going to be happy...

samh4life

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
why...

why must they continue with the irrational naming?

Attachments

• 75065_10151351319519655_186172869_n-1.jpg
    75065_10151351319519655_186172869_n-1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 69

Ironclaw27

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Sydney, Australia
The sPhones are always the best. The hold value longer.

Think about it. The 3G is too primitive to even consider, but the 3GS is still kind of cool. The 4? Bleh. But the 4S? Still a good phone.

Likely the i5 will meet the same fate as the other non-s phones: relegated to second class status. And it looks like it is going to happen sooner, rather than later.

A-men brother! I'm still rockin' the 3GS, although it's had a tough life it's still going strong. I'm waiting for the 5S for the exact reason you've stated above.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
The point was that pretty much all the main Apple devices involve using a screen; the kind of task you use a particular device for is largely dependent on the size of the screen and that Apple now pretty much has every task, or niche covered.
I'm sorry, but on a very basic level, I have to disagree with you here.
This train of thinking may hold true for the mobile world... where one must at some point recognize that the screen on a smartphone is too large for it to be a practical smartphone anymore and must now be a tablet or a "phablet"... one does not hold an iPad up to the side of one's face and make calls with it.
But to suggest a desktop inherently has a larger screen than a laptop is not true.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I'm sorry, but on a very basic level, I have to disagree with you here.
This train of thinking may hold true for the mobile world... where one must at some point recognize that the screen on a smartphone is too large for it to be a practical smartphone anymore and must now be a tablet or a "phablet"... one does not hold an iPad up to the side of one's face and make calls with it.
But to suggest a desktop inherently has a larger screen than a laptop is not true.

I'm really not sure what your point is.

I didn't say that each screen size fills a unique requirement, I said that the sizes available collectively cover pretty much any requirement or scenario. Of course there will be some overlap.

Mine point is that pretty much all screen sizes, and pretty much all tasks and circumstances are covered by the existing product lineup.

If you disagree with that, and think there's a gap for an innovative new device to fulfil some as of yet untapped niche, then I'm a ears.

PastFuture

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Germany
Quickly... Since Mr. Jobs sad passing, Apple seems to be on cruise control. A company that has $150B in cash should be doing more. Where are updated Mac Pros? Why did the iMac update take so long? Why has iOS not seen any significant changes in the last 5 years? The newest iPhone looks stagnant compared to previous iterations of the same product, especially when compared with the competition... Apple needs to shake things up, there is a perception that their product development has slowed to a crawl.

The day Jobs passed was the day they introduced the iPhone 4S. Since then, we've seen the iPhone 5, two iterations of the iPad, and a smaller 7" iPad. Nothing new here - variations on the same theme. iOS still sports the same app grid it's had for seven years and is looking more and more outdated compared to Android offerings. Whether it's true or not, that seems to be the popular perception.

Let's not forget that Jobs still worked on these products. They were probably already in the pipeline at the time of his passing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.