Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Recently I started a new job, and now I'm rarely home around the time online orders are delivered. I'm always coming home to the sticker on the door telling me when they'll be back.

Are there any services, like a P.O. Box, that I can have things shipped to, and then pick them up at my leisure?

SweetTart

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
Recently I started a new job, and now I'm rarely home around the time online orders are delivered. I'm always coming home to the sticker on the door telling me when they'll be back.

Are there any services, like a P.O. Box, that I can have things shipped to, and then pick them up at my leisure?

Go to a small postal facility (typically in a small shop where you might go to ship a package) they will have PO boxes to rent and will then accept shipments on your behalf and hold until you can pick them up.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
FedEx will hold them for you, and you can go pick them up after work. UPS does the same too. The P.O. Box fees are not worth it, and most places won't even deliver to them FYI.

And yeah, you can have them deliver it to your work, just make sure you give them the heads up.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
If I need to sign for a package I have it delivered to the office. No big deal.

There's a chance that the bank issuing your credit card might need to know your employer's address before allowing online purchases to be shipped to your office. This is an easy thing to correct by simply calling your CC issuer.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Are you in an area that is safe enough for them to just be dropped on the porch?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Many here have suggested that it be delivered at work, and that is what I have done as well. Granted, it depends on your workplace; whenever I worked in universities, there was no problem in having stuff delivered. Some offices might not be helpful, but, in my experience, allowing deliveries at your place of work is not usually a problem.

Other than that, a PO box, or a decent neighbour whom you know may be around to take delivery of the order, are other options.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Many here have suggested that it be delivered at work, and that is what I have done as well. Granted, it depends on your workplace; whenever I worked in universities, there was no problem in having stuff delivered. Some offices might not be helpful, but, in my experience, allowing deliveries at your place of work is not usually a problem.

Other than that, a PO box, or a decent neighbour whom you know may be around to take delivery of the order, are other options.

yeah it does depend on the office. Where I work they gladly accept it. The only thing we had requested of us was during Christmas was to come and get anything that was delivered ASAP from the mail room. Otherwise they are happy as long as we get our stuff by the end of the day.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

The answer is simple, just stop ordering things online.:p

fiddlestyx

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Minnesota
I usually just have things left at my door. Depending on whether they need a signature or not, you can call them ahead of time and wave that or leave a note on the door for them.

If its a really expensive item and don't think you're area is safe for things to be left at the door, do what others have suggested. Have it delivered to your work or call UPS/Fedex and have them hold it for you to pick up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.