Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
More sales. I bet alot of apple fans would still queue up for an ipad 5 if it does come out in March. Plus, most people don't care about generation upgrades. At the time of purchase, they'll compare it to the competition. If a company have technology that's ready to be released, they won't sit on it as that risks competitors catching up. And no one knows what Apple have or don't have in terms of new technologies.

well dont apple get their screens and such made from... samsung and LG and such?

who also happen to be making tablets and phones. directly competing with apple

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
well dont apple get their screens and such made from... samsung and LG and such?

who also happen to be making tablets and phones. directly competing with apple

Yes but any company has a large supply chain. Much of electronic systems engineering these days is getting the right components from different manufacturers and putting them together in innovative ways.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
I hate waiting in the dark, but thats business i guess. it wouldn't be profitable knowing what was coming and stopping purchases to wait for the better product.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
this is exactly what i logged on to ask..

i asume, with my limited knowledge, that apple will be releasing an ipad 5 (or new new new?) this spring, with a design more similar to the mini, maybe with minimal other changes. (dropping the fat alu design, for a more slim mini/ip5 design-style. i like that newer design a lot better

im considering to get one, but i guess ill wait a few months.

:)

The assumption that Apple will release updated iPads in March is a big one. I don't think that they will. And if I'm right, what will you do then? Wait some more?

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
The reason I don't think of those as major is that they could all have been included in a silent upgrade and release, but they felt a public announcement was required (the question then is, why?).

the 4 got a BIG spec update! if you think it was minor, i can only guess what an update would need to be for you to consider it big..lol. is all that new power getting put to use? no...but any other ipad on the market now will be far behind once they start utilizing the power...now if youre talking about a cosmetic update, that is a different story and what i think the 5 will consist of...

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
The assumption that Apple will release updated iPads in March is a big one. I don't think that they will. And if I'm right, what will you do then? Wait some more?

well due to me saving up, i gotta wait for march anyway. so..

I asume that they're gonna streamline their designs. either it will be spring, or it will be this fall. but yes..

if i gotta way 8 months, i will probably get the ipad 4. time will tell though :)

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
the 4 got a BIG spec update!

That's commodity product speak if you ask me, what you'd expect from a refresh cycle that commodity products adhere to (2/3/4 refreshes per year) - they bump the specs and talk them up like they're the most important things to focus on in life (or change the colours or model numbers or other completely superficial things they change because that's all they have). Commodity products, the ones that sell at almost no profit margin, the ones built by companies that mostly just copy others (maybe once in awhile come up with something slightly interesting, but in no way are ever market changing), the ones that are all about cost and the only differentiating factors between them and the 100s of other companies just like them are specs appealing to spec whores and ignorant consumers who are advised by spec whores on what to buy. That's not Apple, and that's why I think there was a big reason they refreshed the iPad and announced it publicly.

My prediction at the time was that it was a refresh cycle reset (to post summer, beginning of Autumn annually from now on), and every day that goes by without any leaked photos or further leaked information related to a March or Spring refresh suggests we'll have to wait not too much longer to see whether Apple fundamentally decided to change its business and product strategies, or whether the iPad 4 refresh was simply anomalous (as I think it was).

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
What would be the point up updating it if the specs weren't updated?

It's obvious that not much thought was put into this thread.

Updating the form factor only (thinner, IGZO, lighter), but leaving the A6X in there. There's a pretty decent chance that may happen.

Investor27

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
This.

Updating the form factor only (thinner, IGZO, lighter), but leaving the A6X in there. There's a pretty decent chance that may happen.

The Ipad 4 already had a huge upgrade over the 3. It's 2x faster than the 3. If there is going to be a new Ipad in March, it will only be a refresh with emphasis on reducing weight and size while keeping the 9.7" screen.

dreamerdonkey

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Bangladesh
If you here any rumor like this " iPad 5 will have 4 wheel and it will also have 4x4 capability" than you should wait, other wise go and get a 4. Because technology will always update. Its a obvious part in the tech business. So I don't think its a wise idea to be wait because if any how you are able to get the iPad 5, I can guaranty you that you will start hearing the rumor about iPad 6. :p

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Talk about stating the obvious. Answer: has there ever been a new Ipad that didnt have a specs increase?
(Specific to full sized iPad only) Specs is also a very broad term...

WealthyBigPenis

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Im thinking, more in style with the new mini/ipod touch. IZGO. A6X and possibly a Ram boost, heck some people are hoping for that 128gb.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I would think it'd be at least a ram boost, and the option of a 128 gb. Thinner, lighter,and spec bump in cameras. Again if it is significantly lighter I'm def buying

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but compared to my excitement before the 3 (I was thrilled to finally see a retina display), it is difficult to think of anything that would compare at this point.

I agree with above. I was more excited about the iPad 3 than any other device I have purchased.

navra233

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
I agree with above. I was more excited about the iPad 3 than any other device I have purchased.

Most important change we see in new iPad devices is retina display in 2012 launched devices. Rest features have a little improvement.

Possibly in march Apple will bring more innovative & advanced device. I will vote OP to wait for a new device from Apple.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Absolutely. Ipad 1-2 was a tiny jump in real terms, the only big change in the ipad was the retina screen in the 3 (which is acknowledged by Apple in their keeping the 2 on sale). The 4 is pretty much a 3 with a new connector, they took the opportunity to increase the processor speed but do you know of anyone with an ipad3 complaining about a lack of grunt?

Ipad5 will be a significant change, dropping the form factor right back I'd suggest, and adding something new, and later in this year. My guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.