Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Wirelessly posted

Not sure if this is correct place but I'm doing the conversion on my iMac...

I have some old analogue video files of family holidays. It was a Hi8 I think it was called. I remember ages ago I borrowed a lead to convert them from the tape to my computer, the files are mpg files at 768X568.

Now to convert stuff I normally use iVi Pro app. What I'd like to do is clean these up, split them.

So should I convert them to mp4 first with iVi? I tried one as a test and the file size went a bit smaller, but the resolution changed a bit to 720x560 I think - why?

Or should I skip this step and just import the mpg file into iMovie 11? I've never used iMovie yet even though I've had an iMac for 5 years now! I have the latest 2012 iMac.

Cheers

Thuc5dides

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
What are you using to capture your footage? What format do you want them to end up in?

You want to recompress the files as few times as possible, ideally keep them in uncompressed. A great, free transcoder is mpeg streamclip, it allows you to define output codec, resolution, bitrate etc.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Wirelessly posted

To be perfectly honest I'm not sure. I needed to get them off my analogue tapes a long time ago for storing/safe keeping so use a lead, and some program, not sure, to get them into my then Windows PC.

I want to keep the the best I can obviously so when I come to edit them, I've never done anything like this yet, should I just import to iMovie direct and then export and best/top/max whatever it is resolution?

Cheers

Thuc5dides

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
I'm guessing you are using a FireWire cable from your hi8 camera, and you don't own final cut pro or premiere. I suggest you capture with iMovie at the highest settings, but there's no need to export, it will save the file in the "iMovie events" directory.

If you are transferring these files to a PC avoid using "prores" codecs in the capture settings, you would be limited in what you can do in windows and may not be able to play it. I'm not familiar with the iMovie settings but if at all possible capture as "uncompressed".

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Wirelessly posted

No the files I already have on my HDD now. I converted them ages ago with a lead and some software. The software must have captured in mpg, I don't have the lead (might still have the tapes) now so this is what I have.

Would they be in the best format Nd resolution anyway with the lead I had?

Thuc5dides

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
Ok you want to avoid transcoding them if at all possible, every time you transcode you lose some quality. Stay away from the abomination that is iMovie.

Reading your original post again I see you want to split them. Use meg streamclip to output separate files (using in and out points), you can resize it to the original res too. Save as uncompressed 8bit.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

----------

Ps you should post threads like this here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/80/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.