Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
At this point in time ,Apple needs to come out with a new piece of hardware in the next IPHONE update. Its like a new car, everyone wants a good looking car as well as something great under the hood. And Apple has the best talent to design the next Iphone hardware.....Johnny Ives.
Hopefully Tim Cook realizes this as not redoing the hardware in the next Iphone will be a disaster.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I'm starting to think this will be my last iPhone unless there are dramatic changes to iPhone 6.

The UI has become extremely stale and I still can't do simple ****ing things like read and reply to a text message without exiting the app. Speaking of apps, iPhone multitasking is still half assed and not real multitasking.. let's not get into the Maps fiasco..

Hardware wise, it's nice to look at and feel, but we still don't have a bigger screen, the battery, especially on the 5, is garbage. No NFC, no innovation...

In about 2-3 months all the competitors will be ahead of iPhone and we'll still be waiting for the once a year minimal upgrade.

The battery is easily the best on any iPhone yet. Yes I will be staying, works well with everything I have. iPad, Mac, Apple TV

RieRie

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
I used one android phone, a SGS2 skyrocket, and switched back to iPhones with the 5. I will not go back to android anytime soon for the following reasons:

1. Bloat ware that you are stuck with and cannot get off of your phone without rooting it;
2. My thumb tends to fly over my phone while texting, causing my phone to always freeze;
3. The free apps are terrible! I was tired of waking up every morning and finding all kinds of apps that had downloaded themselves.

My iphone also works well with all of my other apple products and I shall happily upgrade to the iphone 6! :)

mjahrami

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
Bahrain
Depends

Depends on the OS. if there's a big leap from its previous version, I'll stick with it but if they're minor changes, i'll definitely change to something else.

BrokeTechLover

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
I'll be switching to the galaxy nexus the first chance I get. I only have an iphone 4 so I'm not too invested in the apple ecosystem,& tbh I'm tired of the cat & mouse game that is jailbreaking. Everything I'm waiting to do on my iphone I can do on android with no wait,so yeah I'm jumping ship

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Will you be staying with iPhone for your next phone?
Probably but I'm not there so it's early to say for certain. Why does it matter? Use what works for you.

Hardware wise, it's nice to look at and feel, but we still don't have a bigger screen, the battery, especially on the 5, is garbage. No NFC, no innovation...
"We" != "I". If you need those things then switch to a suitable solution for you.

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
I did leave iphone for a Lumia some months ago, and the Lumia is still going strong, WM8 is a great system and nice to use, it's very liquid and very straight forward to just do what u want to do easily without widgets and just using the live tiles, battery life is fantastic and the best I have had from a smartphone for a very long time.

I get an upgrade every 6mths on a historic O2 plan i have had for many many years which is due next on Jan 20th and am debating going back to Apple with a 5 as I do miss the seamlessness between my MBA and iPad but still am torn about either a new Lumia (920) or poss a Nexus 4

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I did leave iphone for a Lumia some months ago, and the Lumia is still going strong, WM8 is a great system and nice to use, it's very liquid and very straight forward to just do what u want to do easily without widgets and just using the live tiles, battery life is fantastic and the best I have had from a smartphone for a very long time.

I get an upgrade every 6mths on a historic O2 plan i have had for many many years which is due next on Jan 20th and am debating going back to Apple with a 5 as I do miss the seamlessness between my MBA and iPad but still am torn about either a new Lumia (920) or poss a Nexus 4

Absence of a notification center sucks though.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Most likely stay with iPhone for the same reasons as others: would need to purchase some apps again if available on Android or Windows Phones. Don't really want that. And I like the relative stable system with integration to my other iDevices and Macs.

Yes, the UI is a bit "classic" meanwhile but it still fits the purpose so I can live with it. Some refresh would be welcome, sure.

Last edited:

moosez3

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Short answer = No, not neccesarily.

Long answer:
Having been a long time Android power user - D1, TB, Gnex - all rooted, I'm glad to be a first time iPhone user. I won't be switching unless they somehow screw up.

Androids have always had an expiration date of 6 months. It's difficult to explain, but I'll try. I would always root my droids and overclock them trying to get them to run smoothly with all my customizations. After never getting it right, I would get frustrated and get a newer phone. I got over it and switched to the "dark side". Which turns out is the light side.

What I realize now is that both sides are filled with fanboys that will not consider the other side regardless. This is why it is called fan boy - its childish, ignorant and foolish. My business goes to what suits me the best.

I like the iPhone 5 because:
- The Screen: its size is almost perfect, a little too small (but I would rather 4" than 4.8+"), because it is really difficult for me to text on this thing, and my fingers aren't that huge. The resolution, color, and everything else is perfect.

- Battery life: It lasts me all day and then some with needing widgets to turn my data off. I have NEVER experienced this on android.

- Butter: iOS is just smoother than anything android has released that I have seen. It's not how fast you can flip through home-screens, it's everything. It really took me owning an iP5 to realize this. I hadn't sold my JB Gnex (no slouch of a phone) yet so picking that up after a couple days on the iP5 was incredible, it was like going back to the stone ages.

- Multitasking: I love the way it handles apps, its multitasking is so much more useful than android. I don't know how anyone could complain about it. I HATED androids multitasking. I couldn't close many apps even if I wanted to. It would force me to delete apps that would otherwise be useful - waze, weather channel are a few that come to mind.

- Hardware: Build quality is amazing, I got mine in December, it's white and I have had no issues with it at all. I keep no screen protector on it or a case, because I love the way it feels. I also don't drop it. The buttons, edges, screen, everything. It is solid

- Communication: I love the way it communicates with everything else: Peoples cars, Apple TV, my MBP, other iPhones, etc

- Endurance I see people using iP4's on ios6 that are still kicking it, this is good for me, because I plan on keeping this phone till the next upgrade.

- New plug is so much better than the last one and µUSB. I had to buy over 10 different cables for my droids, because they all had expiration dates of 2 months, and then each phone's µUSB was turning to crap - probably because I used it so much to charge them every hour.

- Games: I don't play them that much, but the ones they do have are better.

- Camera: It isn't the best on a phone, but it is close to it.

Things I don't like and I hope they will address:
Photos: Why in Gods name would downloaded photos go to the same photos as the ones I take with my camera? Also I would like to be able to share from the camera app to ig or fb like on android. In iOS I am required to either use the camera in that app or open the app and share the picture I took. Most times I do not want to do either of those things. Photo sharing options are too limited in app.

Mail app: Overall it is good, fast and reliable, at the risk of sounding dramatic, it is desperate need of an overhaul. It needs the ability to put stuff in the spam box from mail app.

App Store: I need an option to not enter my password every time I want to download an app.

NFC: it should have it, it's not a gimmick.

Notification power widgets - Wifi, bluetooth, NFC, Data, etc. They are useful, quick and easy. They should have been in iOS6.

In android you could look up an address or phone number in the browser and tap or double tap and it would recognize it and then you could open it in the appropriate app. iOS needs something like this.

Hardware: While better than my samsung phones, the LTE reception does not appear to be as good as the Thunderbolt. Not by much, but this flagship phone should be ahead in this category hands down and it is not.

Keyboard: I miss swype, a lot. It would really help this tiny keyboard.

More multi-touch integrated into iOS. I understand there are some for jail-broken iPhones, but they should be standard.

Camera: More options are needed, I love the options it does have, but an advanced mode, would be amazing.

All that being said My next phone will be the one that fits my needs the best. I have no loyalty except to me.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I like the iPhone 5 design and would be ok with Apple keeping this for the next iPhone.

iOS6 must change in order for me to stay with the iPhone. The OS feels 5 years old. The text message system needs to be more like BiteSMS, there are no widgets, no live tiles, no ability to customize the lock screen, etc.

Multi-tasking also needs much improvement and while I am not a huge believer in changing the "looks" of an OS a design it would be a positive thing if all of the core updates are made.

Looking forward to seeing what iOS7 has in store for all of us.

fridayxiii

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
I'm standing pat with Apple. I got the i5 on launch day but due to early upgrade price jumps I'll skip the 5S and wait for the 6.

With all the kvetching about how iOS is "stale", I see the OS of any phone as the environment where apps run. I don't stare at my homescreen waiting for live tiles or widgets to update. I text, email, play games or listen to music, surf the web and check the weather or news via myriad apps. All of which are polished, stutter-free, well thought-out, and quality. I don't think you can say the same about crapware in the Android Market, and let's not even pretend the Windows Mobile app offerings are worthy of mention. That's without addressing the bloatware Google/Android allows to be placed on their handsets.

If you love rooting and ***** around with your phone, Android is for you. I want a mobile OS that works all the time, every time. And I want my handset to get the latest patches and updates, again without labor on my behalf. It's great that we all have choices, but mine is clear. Right now it's :apple: or nothing.

moosez3

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
I'll be switching to the galaxy nexus the first chance I get. I only have an iphone 4 so I'm not too invested in the apple ecosystem,& tbh I'm tired of the cat & mouse game that is jailbreaking. Everything I'm waiting to do on my iphone I can do on android with no wait,so yeah I'm jumping ship

I went from the Galaxy Nexus to the iP5, very happy about it. Nexus battery, cell reception, camera, screen quality and general build quality are atrocious. Jelly Beans butter program was no match for the smoothness iOS is. I would never recommend anyone to get that, or any Samsung phone for that matter.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I started on iphone, went to android and then came back. why?
android a couple years back was laggy, buggy, and would annoy the hell out of me. Playing around with the GS3 loaded with Jelly Bean is a day and night difference to where android used to be.

I have an iphone 5 now, i would switch back if i felt like it but i would really miss imessage since 95% of people i socialize with have ios.

ivtecDOu

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2008
mass
I started on iphone, went to android and then came back. why?
android a couple years back was laggy, buggy, and would annoy the hell out of me. Playing around with the GS3 loaded with Jelly Bean is a day and night difference to where android used to be.

I have an iphone 5 now, i would switch back if i felt like it but i would really miss imessage since 95% of people i socialize with have ios.

Hate to admit it but that's the one and only feature I miss leaving the Iphone. A good friend of mine doesn't get service in his neighborhood so in order to text him I needed I message or just wait for him to leave his house.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I used one android phone, a SGS2 skyrocket, and switched back to iPhones with the 5. I will not go back to android anytime soon for the following reasons:

1. Bloat ware that you are stuck with and cannot get off of your phone without rooting it;
2. My thumb tends to fly over my phone while texting, causing my phone to always freeze;
3. The free apps are terrible! I was tired of waking up every morning and finding all kinds of apps that had downloaded themselves.

My iphone also works well with all of my other apple products and I shall happily upgrade to the iphone 6! :)

You're basing your Android experience on the S**trocket??? That was your first mistake. Things have come SO far since then!

To your points...

1. You can now disable any apps you don't want directly from the Application menu in the Settings menu. Once you disable it, it's gone. It doesn't show up in your app drawer, doesn't draw battery or data. It's just like uninstalling it. No need for rooting to accomplish this anymore.

2. Because you were using the S**trocket! If you'd give Android another go with something that's not a crappy phone (Nexus 4, S3, One X or X+), you'd see how different things are now.

3. This is completely user error. I've had an Android phone (to go along with my iPhone) for the last 2 years and I've never once had an app install something I didn't ask for. I've also never had malware or a virus. That issue is so completely overblown by iOS users that it isn't even funny anymore. It's just not true. You obviously downloaded some shady apps in your time with Android and you got burned by it. Every single app on the Play Store has reviews you can read right at the bottom of the page. Every single app shows you the permissions it needs to run on your phone. If you're lazy and don't do your due diligence, you get what you deserve. But that's the trade off between the iOS App Store and Android Play Store...you actually have to pay attention. Some people may hate that, but that's the truth, and if you're not willing to pay attention to what you're installing, that's not the OS's fault.

Seriously, I genuinely believe if you tried a S3 (or other flagship phone) now, you'd have a completely different experience.

outsidethebox

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
I'll be switching. Looking forward to the S4 release.

I can already feel the sentiment online and among friends. Despite whatever any profit numbers suggest, people seem to be slowly getting fed up with the incremental upgrades and lack of options from Apple and many of my die-hard Apple friends have given Android a try and have stuck with it. Look at this forum. I've been on it for years and lately there has been a huge difference in growing discontent over Apple and it's strategy for the iPhone. Many of the most upvoted posts are now openly criticizing Apple for becoming so complacent. For the most part this was unheard of years ago, Apple 'always knew best'.

More and more apps are also now offered on Android as well. Of all the iOS apps I use there is only a very small number I can't get on Android now.

Personally I am sick of the iPhone's small screen and walled OS, and after hoping for a drastic change with the 5 instead we just got a taller phone, nearly identical except for an upgraded processor. Despite having nearly unlimited resources at their disposal. Not even any attempt on camera innovation ala Nokia - the shots look identical to the 4S 95% of the time. Now we'll probably have an upgraded 5S this year which again will likely offer small upgrades as always.

There may be people who are perfectly happy with Apple's barely adequate updates. That's their prerogative. The way I see Apple heading currently, the only way is down.

Last edited:

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Only if at least one of these inovation:
- 4.8~5 inch screen
- revamped iOS 7
- home button capable of finger print reading

----------

I'll be switching. Looking forward to the S4 release.

I can already feel the sentiment online and among friends. Despite whatever any profit numbers suggest, people seem to be slowly getting fed up with the incremental upgrades and lack of options from Apple and many of my die-hard Apple friends have given Android a try and have stuck with it. Look at this forum. I've been on it for years and lately there has been a huge difference in growing discontent over Apple and it's strategy for the iPhone. Many of the most upvoted posts are now openly criticizing Apple for becoming so complacent. For the most part this was unheard of years ago, Apple 'always knew best'.

More and more apps are also now offered on Android as well. Of all the iOS apps I use there is only a very small number I can't get on Android now.

Personally I am sick of the iPhone's small screen and walled OS, and after hoping for a drastic change with the 5 instead we just got a taller phone, nearly identical except for an upgraded processor. Despite having nearly unlimited resources at their disposal. Not even any attempt on camera innovation ala Nokia - the shots look identical to the 4S 95% of the time. Now we'll probably have an upgraded 5S this year which again will likely offer small upgrades as always.

There may be people who are perfectly happy with Apple's barely adequate updates. That's their prerogative. The way I see Apple heading currently, the only way is down.

Do you think that Apple will just sit around and stop innovating when S4 will be released this year? Get real. You will regret buying S4 and end up selling it after the launch of iPhone 5S

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Only if at least one of these inovation:
- 4.8~5 inch screen
- revamped iOS 7
- home button capable of finger print reading

----------

Do you think that Apple will just sit around and stop innovating when S4 will be released this year? Get real. You will regret buying S4 and end up selling it after the launch of iPhone 5S

You criticize the poster above you for voicing his opinion, yet give a list of things that are HIGHLY unlikely to happen as the only way you'll stay with the iPhone. IMO, the only one on your list that's even remotely possible is the revamped iOS 7. It took Apple 4 iterations of the iPhone to FINALLY put a bigger screen in there (4-inch...don't make me laugh) and they only did it after consumers proved the Almighty Jobs wrong and indicated they WANTED larger screens. And this fingerprint scanning thing that's come out in the last couple of days? Good luck with that one. Even if they do put something like that in the next iPhone (which, again, is highly unlikely as it'll probably just be the spec-bump 5S), Fanboys will praise it as "revolutionary" when it's a technology that's been out there for at least 10 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.