Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
My main point is that it's a small convenience only having to hold devices together rather than pair them using the usual bluetooth manner.
That's kind of the point of a smartphone, the small conveniences. Every feature can't be a major feature, but it's often the culmination of great little features that make the experience great. Instead of a person having to go unlock their phone, go into settings, open bluetooth, make their device visible, then I go into the settings in bluetooth, find their device, pair with their device, then go back to the file I want to send, and send the file....I can simply just tap my phone against theirs and be done with it. No it's not a major feature, but it is MUCH more convenient than doing it manually.

People act like Apple is in the dark ages by not adding NFC to the iPhone, when it's not massively useful at present.
There really isn't a lot of reason for them to have excluded NFC. Whether you consider it to be "massively useful" or not, there are uses for it today, and people should be able to make use of it. In our office we use it all the time.

It's worth noting that any QR code generator/reader can be used in place of NFC tag functionality.
I disagree with saying that is worth noting. That is more of a workaround than anything else. When I put my phone in the car mount, I can make it go into a certain mode because of an NFC sticker in the mount. So in the end, all I'm doing is sitting my phone down the same way I've always done for years. The difference is now the phone is automated to disconnect from my bluetooth headset, and connect to the car's bluetooth instead (and a few other things it's set to). It would be ridiculously inconvenient for me to have to open a QR reader and take a picture/scan a QR code every time I got into the car, just to achieve the same thing. So as stated above, is it a major feature? No. But it adds a certain level of convenience that I would not be willing to give up.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
That's kind of the point of a smartphone, the small conveniences. Every feature can't be a major feature, but it's often the culmination of great little features that make the experience great. Instead of a person having to go unlock their phone, go into settings, open bluetooth, make their device visible, then I go into the settings in bluetooth, find their device, pair with their device, then go back to the file I want to send, and send the file....I can simply just tap my phone against theirs and be done with it. No it's not a major feature, but it is MUCH more convenient than doing it manually.

Correction; you have to unlock the phone to use NFC too, at least you did on the Galaxy S3. It only worked when the phone was unlocked and the screen on.

Also, with Android you can put a shortcut to the bluetooth settings on the home screen, so you can literally just tap on the shortcut and then tap on the device you want to pair with. It hardly even takes longer.

There really isn't a lot of reason for them to have excluded NFC. Whether you consider it to be "massively useful" or not, there are uses for it today, and people should be able to make use of it. In our office we use it all the time.

I'm just trying to look at it from Apple's point of view. Nearly everything it can do has some kind of workaround and the payment aspect of it is hardly supported anywhere yet... it's hard to see the incentive.

I disagree with saying that is worth noting. That is more of a workaround than anything else. When I put my phone in the car mount, I can make it go into a certain mode because of an NFC sticker in the mount. So in the end, all I'm doing is sitting my phone down the same way I've always done for years. The difference is now the phone is automated to disconnect from my bluetooth headset, and connect to the car's bluetooth instead (and a few other things it's set to). It would be ridiculously inconvenient for me to have to open a QR reader and take a picture/scan a QR code every time I got into the car, just to achieve the same thing. So as stated above, is it a major feature? No. But it adds a certain level of convenience that I would not be willing to give up.

Don't you have to unlock your phone before putting it into the mount? Also, when I had my S3 it wouldn't let me connect to a specific Bluetooth device, but would only let me enable Bluetooth and then open up the list of devices.

Unless being rooted allows this? I didn't root my S3.

If Android did Bluetooth right it wouldn't drain much battery to just leave it on all the time, then devices would automatically connect without you having to do anything!

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Correction; you have to unlock the phone to use NFC too, at least you did on the Galaxy S3. It only worked when the phone was unlocked and the screen on.
There is no correction. I never said you did not have to unlock the phone to use NFC.. Since it was already mentioned once in my response, I did not feel the need to repeat it a second time.

Also, with Android you can put a shortcut to the bluetooth settings on the home screen, so you can literally just tap on the shortcut and then tap on the device you want to pair with. It hardly even takes longer.
And if a person doesn't want a bluetooth shortcut on their home screen? :eek: Trivialize it as you may, but the bottom line is it adds a level of convenience. It's really that simple.

I'm just trying to look at it from Apple's point of view. Nearly everything it can do has some kind of workaround and the payment aspect of it is hardly supported anywhere yet... it's hard to see the incentive.
Clunky workarounds to imitate functionality are hardly what I'd call viable replacements for the real thing. As for NFC payment availability, I don't know where you live, but here in Atlanta there are several places it can be used. I use it at the doctor's office, vending machines at the mall, fast food places, gas stations, hardware store, and Best Buy. There are other places it is also available, but that is just a list of places I have used it at several times.

Don't you have to unlock your phone before putting it into the mount? Also, when I had my S3 it wouldn't let me connect to a specific Bluetooth device, but would only let me enable Bluetooth and then open up the list of devices.

Unless being rooted allows this? I didn't root my S3.
It depends on what software you were using. It is indeed possible to have it connect to a specific device, and no it does not require being rooted.

If Android did Bluetooth right it wouldn't drain much battery to just leave it on all the time, then devices would automatically connect without you having to do anything!
You're REALLY reaching. Android did indeed do bluetooth right (much better than Apple while we're at it), and I never turn it off. I never said anything about bluetooth being turned off. I said I can use NFC tags to automate disconnecting my phone from the headset, and have it connect to the car's bluetooth. As for Android's bluetooth implementation, it has very little drain on the battery (roughly 2% or less).

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
There is no correction. I never said you did not have to unlock the phone to use NFC.. Since it was already mentioned once in my response, I did not feel the need to repeat it a second time.

You listed it in the list of steps you have to take to pair using bluetooth, but not in the NFC steps. That's misleading.

And if a person doesn't want a bluetooth shortcut on their home screen? :eek: Trivialize it as you may, but the bottom line is it adds a level of convenience. It's really that simple.

I know that it adds a level of convenience; but that's all it does, really. Apple would have to set up a deal with NFC chip makers so that people can... pair devices a little bit more easily. Just trying to see it from their point of view.

Clunky workarounds to imitate functionality are hardly what I'd call viable replacements for the real thing. As for NFC payment availability, I don't know where you live, but here in Atlanta there are several places it can be used. I use it at the doctor's office, vending machines at the mall, fast food places, gas stations, hardware store, and Best Buy. There are other places it is also available, but that is just a list of places I have used it at several times.

England and we do have a few places with NFC terminals, but no apps to make use of NFC payments. Although there is apparently a way of getting Google Wallet to work, it's not officially supported and I'd like to know that any payment solution is officially supported.

It depends on what software you were using. It is indeed possible to have it connect to a specific device, and no it does not require being rooted.

Both NFC Task Launcher and Tasker could not connect to a specific bluetooth device on Jelly Bean. I gave my S3 away in October, so if it has changed since then I wouldn't know.

You're REALLY reaching. Android did indeed do bluetooth right (much better than Apple while we're at it), and I never turn it off. I never said anything about bluetooth being turned off. I said I can use NFC tags to automate disconnecting my phone from the headset, and have it connect to the car's bluetooth. As for Android's bluetooth implementation, it has very little drain on the battery (roughly 2% or less).

Just going by my own experience... mine wasn't like that at all, leaving Bluetooth and WiFi on both caused significant hits on the battery. That's why I have stickers dotted all around my house, car and work to make the toggling of those settings easier!

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Just going by my own experience... mine wasn't like that at all, leaving Bluetooth and WiFi on both caused significant hits on the battery. That's why I have stickers dotted all around my house, car and work to make the toggling of those settings easier!

I don't know what made your S3 so different, but when I had mine, I NEVER turned off bluetooth or wifi, and it NEVER used any significant amount of the battery. There is hardly any battery life gain by turning them off, so I never do. I have owned many different Android phones, and I never turn those things off. As stated before, the bluetooth implementation on Android is better than that on iOS.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
WSJ is also reporting Apple will be releasing an iPhone Mini for the last few years.

You know, because the iPhone is too big. ;)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
WSJ is also reporting Apple will be releasing an iPhone Mini for the last few years.

You know, because the iPhone is too big. ;)

"Demand For Samsung Smartphones Jumps To 23% For Early 2013, iPhone Interest Down 21 Points From Last Quarter"

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/15/de...ne-interest-down-21-points-from-last-quarter/

I hope it's clear there is no gloating here. This is hopefully a wake up call.

Because this is a poll unfavorable for the iPhone, people are ignoring it. But if this poll was reversed and said Samsung demand down, iPhone demand up, we'd be first to hear "see, no problems for Apple."

The market is maturing. It's time for Apple to, too.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I've said this many times, and now it seems to be showing. The Apple customer who believes Apple can do no wrong. That 3.5 inches is the perfect screen size, that LTE is not needed yet, that NFC is still not needed, that bigger screens are ridiculous, that quad core CPUs are overkill, that 2GB or RAM is overkill, that iOS is amazing even though it's still not much different than in 2007, etc... will be the very customers that bring Apple down. DEMANDING loyal customers are what feed innovation in a market and in a company. Now the competition is coming out in full force and have clearly shot past the iPhone in terms of hardware. Lets forget the OS for now. Hardware sells. Especially when that hardware clearly shows better on the sales floor. Believe what you like, but one thing is for certain, the market waits for no one. I truly believe you will see Apple coming out with a screen size well above 4 inches sooner than later. Samsung and Google seem to be on the fast road to world domination.

Look, Smart phones are a luxury item. They are not needed, nor are any of their features, beyond making calls.

A little perspective helps here.

----------

That link is confirmation of what the stock market has known since the iPhone 5 was released. Apple stock has been sinking like a rock ever since the iPhone went on sale and now we know it isn't selling any where near as well as the Apple propagandists would have you believe. With that Wall Street Journal report, there is a good chance we will see a major sell off of Apple stock tomorrow.

Every Apple success can be seen as an Apple failure if you look hard enough.

l0gikb0mb

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2012
There seems to be some major unfounded hate on Apple all over the internet because of the iPhone 5. It really just seems to me oversized Samsung phones are the new fad and everyone is relentlessly just catching on (I have no problem with the sizes, I quite enjoyed the Note 2).

I've always loved Android, iPhone, and BB (in the past). I've always tried the latest and greatest. I've had the Note 2 for 3 weeks but went back (partly because I was offered an amazing trade deal).

I got bored of the Note 2 after 3 weeks. In the end, I wanted something that was stable without having to do a million modifications to get it to my liking. The music playback was by far the best I've had on an Android so far, but not as good as iPhone yet.

Even though it has a quad-core processor, waking up from sleep still took a good 1-2 seconds for some odd reason, Apps were not nearly as fluid as the OS, and it lacked a general sense of polish - though it was by far and away the best android experience I've had so far.

I moved to a 64GB iPhone 5. It is excellent and even coming from the Note 2, I am not missing the screen size too much. It is MUCH snappier, a lot more fluid, and does three important things easier/better IMO - calling, texting, and music. These are the bare necessities that are prevalent for me after a few weeks of phone use, while other features for me die down quick.

I've had a lot of android phones including the SGS2, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and more. I liked the design of the Note 2 a lot, but are people really blind to fanboyism here? Samsung does a LOT to copy Apple in a lot of it's design and menu choices. You'd seriously have to be blind to see otherwise, it is comical at best.

In the end it's all down to preference. I don't think Apple has done anything 'insulting' - they could use more iOS features sure. But in the same regard, I've extensively used the Note 2 and in the end once all the new 'features' are used up, I need to do 3 basic things which the iPhone does better, even on a 'tired' OS.

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
Couldn't have said it better. It's enthusiasts who want the OS to change, but enthusiasts are not even a large percentage of their market. Average consumers seem to like it as they're still selling a bundle.

I know we don't have the numbers for the iPhone 5 yet, but I'm sure they still sold plenty :p

So let's make the ignorant people of the world take control of it and tell us there's no need anymore to improve our technology, medicine, etc.

It's the enthusiasts who make our world move forward for God's sake!

If we follow your reasoning that the average Joe doesn't want and need improvements then we wouldn't have 3D panels, WIFI would have not been invented, there would be no need for 4G, no need for SSDs, etc.

That the average Apple user doesn't need anymore doesn't mean the world should stop now. We always need improvements!!

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
So let's make the ignorant people of the world take control of it and tell us there's no need anymore to improve our technology, medicine, etc.

If we follow your reasoning that the average Joe doesn't want and need improvements then we wouldn't have 3D panels, WIFI would have not been invented, there would be no need for 4G, no need for SSDs, etc.

That the average Apple user doesn't need anymore doesn't mean the world should stop now. We always need improvements!!

But hey, who needs wifi? My ethernet cable works just fine. :D

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Sooooo many negative threads on this forum is actually getting too hard to ignore.

People who seemed to be sooo concerned over Apple don't even use an iPhone.

Pretty sad

You realize you're in the Android section of the forums right? Just the fact that you are here saying this means you are looking for conflict.

Pretty sad

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Because this is a poll unfavorable for the iPhone, people are ignoring it. But if this poll was reversed and said Samsung demand down, iPhone demand up, we'd be first to hear "see, no problems for Apple."

The market is maturing. It's time for Apple to, too.

apple_future_buyers.gif

How is the poll unfavorable for Apple? The spikes in demand coincide with release of a new iPhone. Of couse the next quarter it's going to drop. Where can you go from 71% of smart phone buyers wanting an iPhone?

Come back to the real world man. Seems like the demand for iPhone has never been stronger.

1. So 50% want an iPhone 4th quarter 2012, but only 21% want a samsung phone.
2. iPhone 5 release generated the most demand for the iPhone in its history. 71% wanted an iPhone. First time it went over 70%.
3. In 2012, the demand for iPhone has never drop below 50% of smart phone buyers. Never has that happen any year previously.

If no one wants a 3.5" to 4" smartphone, how come the demand for the iphone is the highest in 2012 than all the previous years according to the graph?

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I don't know what made your S3 so different, but when I had mine, I NEVER turned off bluetooth or wifi, and it NEVER used any significant amount of the battery. There is hardly any battery life gain by turning them off, so I never do. I have owned many different Android phones, and I never turn those things off. As stated before, the bluetooth implementation on Android is better than that on iOS.

Who knows? At the end of the day when I get home from work, I have about 60% battery left on my ip5 whereas I had around 25% on my S3 if I left everything on. The problem with that being that if I go out, I don't always have time to charge it before I leave.

I wholeheartedly disagree that the Bluetooth implementation is better on Android. For one, my iPhone connects to my cars Bluetooth every time without fail, but my S3 and S2 before it were hit and miss. Half the time I'd have to connect manually.

And the iPhone uses less power (for me). Bear in mind that any drain percentage on the S3s battery would be a larger drain on the iPhones (smaller) battery :p

----------

iOS caters for the not so technologically minded (and those of us who got bored of customising).
Android caters for the enthusiasts.
Windows phone covers the middle ground.

The average joe gets their upgrades whenever new iPhones come out, so I don't see your point.

I'm just saying that enthusiasts want everything done right now; file system, NFC, widgets, etc, when I don't think the majority of the iOS userbase care about any of that stuff. If they did, they'd buy an Android phone instead.

Why constantly criticise iOS for what it's not when Android is exactly what you need? You should recognise that they're intended for different audiences. And as I've said before; what is the point in blurring the line between the two operating systems? The good thing about them at the moment is that they're completely different and they suit different types of users better.

At the moment it's pretty clear cut: if you want simplicity, good battery life and something that integrates well with Apples services and other devices, then get an iPhone, but if you want openness, freedom, then get an Android phone.

What is so hard to comprehend here?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Something else I feel like apple does better than any company is tie all of their products together really well....apple tv, mac, iphone. They need to improve on some things, but are miles ahead of the competition in terms of integration across devices.

Sony is trying to do that with the xperia and bravia TV's....but do they really expect me to buy a new tv to be compatible with my phone. At least apple sells apple tv at $100

I bet you a $1 that in a year or so when the Apple TV set is released Apple we expect you to do JUST THAT. "Oh you want to use THAT feature with your new iPhone with your two year old Apple TV Set...sorry you need to upgrade your TV set to the newest model" they already do it with the iDevices and iOS and the computers starting with Mountain Lion....and that will be Apples major fail, thinking people will throw away and buy a new large screen television set every two years.

The Apple TV is doomed once the Apple TV set is released IMHO...Apple will push Apple TV owners who want the latest and greatest features of Apple TV into new television sets and will fully drop support for the Apple TV.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
That poll is for the U.S. only, which is a very different market. The worldwide picture looks very very different.

How is the poll unfavorable for Apple? The spikes in demand coincide with release of a new iPhone. Of couse the next quarter it's going to drop. Where can you go from 71% of smart phone buyers wanting an iPhone?

Come back to the real world man. Seems like the demand for iPhone has never been stronger.

1. So 50% want an iPhone 4th quarter 2012, but only 21% want a samsung phone.
2. iPhone 5 release generated the most demand for the iPhone in its history. 71% wanted an iPhone. First time it went over 70%.
3. In 2012, the demand for iPhone has never drop below 50% of smart phone buyers. Never has that happen any year previously.

If no one wants a 3.5" to 4" smartphone, how come the demand for the iphone is the highest in 2012 than all the previous years according to the graph?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
You realize you're in the Android section of the forums right? Just the fact that you are here saying this means you are looking for conflict.

Pretty sad

Every thread in this whole site gets "infected" with Android users. Its getting boring now.

----------

Pretty sad

Just so you know this thread was in the iPhone section yesterday when I posted.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Apple fans should truly be embarrassed anytime the phrase "it just works" is uttered.

I totally agree.

I work just outside of an apple store and I sell iphones as well as every other smartphone and MOST of our customers have problems setting their phone up, can't figure this or that out, have some form of malware , just some type of problem.

We never have many problems at all with our androids. A vast majority are iphone problems.

I even had one person return the phone because he found out there was no jailbreak yet and he needs that to add basic functionality to the phone.

Apple fan boys are the worst. When someone else comes with a new feature that Apple doesn't have they always try to discredit it saying "yeah but it's not important. No one uses that"

You know like how android was first with

-video recording
-mms
-panoramic camera
-shooting pictures while shooting videos
-puldown notifications
-front facing camera
-4g
-video calling away from wifi
-multi-tasking (something apple STILL doesn't do as well)

But when apple FINALLY caught up, they made like it was the greatest feature in the world.

Sickening...

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I totally agree.

I work just outside of an apple store and I sell iphones as well as every other smartphone and MOST of our customers have problems setting their phone up, can't figure this or that out, have some form of malware , just some type of problem.

We never have many problems at all with our androids. A vast majority are iphone problems.

I even had one person return the phone because he found out there was no jailbreak yet and he needs that to add basic functionality to the phone.

Apple fan boys are the worst. When someone else comes with a new feature that Apple doesn't have they always try to discredit it saying "yeah but it's not important. No one uses that"

You know like how android was first with

-video recording
-mms
-panoramic camera
-shooting pictures while shooting videos
-puldown notifications
-front facing camera
-4g
-video calling away from wifi
-multi-tasking (something apple STILL doesn't do as well)

But when apple FINALLY caught up, they made like it was the greatest feature in the world.

Sickening...

If you're going to post BS, try and make it believable. :rolleyes:

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I wholeheartedly disagree that the Bluetooth implementation is better on Android. For one, my iPhone connects to my cars Bluetooth every time without fail, but my S3 and S2 before it were hit and miss. Half the time I'd have to connect manually.
I have not had a single issue with my bluetooth not connecting. Not a single time. As for Android having a better implementation, that much is apparent just in the fact that it isn't handicapped. Hey, send me that mp3 you were listening to earlier via bluetooth... Galaxy S3 Owner: Okay, it's on the way now. iPhone Owner: Well I can't send it straight to your phone, but if you give me your email address, I can email it to you.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I have not had a single issue with my bluetooth not connecting. Not a single time. As for Android having a better implementation, that much is apparent just in the fact that it isn't handicapped. Hey, send me that mp3 you were listening to earlier via bluetooth... Galaxy S3 Owner: Okay, it's on the way now. iPhone Owner: Well I can't send it straight to your phone, but if you give me your email address, I can email it to you.

Isn't it illegal to share music?

ivtecDOu

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2008
mass

I'm pretty sure 4.2 jelly bean blue tooth is hit or miss or not working correctly across phones. I know it's unstable on the rom I'm running but I'm using cm10.1 nightlies so it not released as a stable rom to begin with

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.