Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
FTL- Faster Than Light, a cute little strategy game that shows no mercy and will kick your butt (disclaimer: it has kicked my butt) even on easy. The premise is that you are part of the Federation carrying important documents pursued by the rebel fleet. I just put Star Wars out of my mind or it would be difficult playing the establishment. ;) The game consists of traveling from system to system, encountering adversaries, managing combat, while managing your starship's systems which seem to get damaged real easy, and not killing your crew members.

It's Mac native, it's cheap $10 (unfortunately sale ended yesterday) and it's a fun little diversion. Actually it seems perfectly suited to be an iOS game, and it might become one soon.

I played it for an hour last night and what vexes me is that you can't save the scenarios. Therefore you succeed or you fall on your sword, without redos. I'm still at it. Hopefully I'll get it figured out, soon.

FTL-graham.jpg

Reviews:
*FTL Review- at IGN.com.
*PCGamer Review.

Guides (you'll need'm):
*Item and Strategy Guide:How to Beat FTL.
*FTL Complete Guide.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
You can quit and save the game somewhat.
Go to "user"/Library/App Support/FasterThanLight and copy out the save files there.
I did that first time I beat it since I didn't know how to beat the last ship, so I got to try out a few different tactics before I nailed it.

The game is very fun!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
You can't save/load because it is a rougelike. If you could save at any time it would ruin the tension, IMO. Dying is half the fun in FTL.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
:p
You can quit and save the game somewhat.
Go to "user"/Library/App Support/FasterThanLight and copy out the save files there.
I did that first time I beat it since I didn't know how to beat the last ship, so I got to try out a few different tactics before I nailed it.

The game is very fun!

I was thinking in the middle of a scenario, say after an encounter, just before the next jump. Will your method work there?

You can't save/load because it is a rougelike. If you could save at any time it would ruin the tension, IMO. Dying is half the fun in FTL.

Yes, it's a killer. :p

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Why would you cheat the game like that?

The whole point is that things can go from so awesome to tragic in one silly encounter. Amazing game.

Hate dieing continuously on "easy" mode? Or some character flaw I imagine... :p If you have to repeat the game over and over until you get it right, is that any real difference from saving progress as you go along?

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Hate dieing continuously on "easy" mode? Or some character flaw I imagine... :p If you have to repeat the game over and over until you get it right, is that any real difference from saving progress as you go along?

Well yeah because each time you play the game you get different things, different scenarios etc. It kind of defeats the purpose of the game if you just 'quicksave' after each point until you get the result you want.

It's your game, and you do what you like obviously, but it's the you-live-with-what-you-get part of the game that makes it so special.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well yeah because each time you play the game you get different things, different scenarios etc. It kind of defeats the purpose of the game if you just 'quicksave' after each point until you get the result you want.

It's your game, and you do what you like obviously, but it's the you-live-with-what-you-get part of the game that makes it so special.

It would be nice if I could get past the second checkpoint (not jump point) on fracking easy. :p Most solo campaign games allow for waypoint saves, because most players don't want to start over from the beginning. RPGs, FPSs, MMOs, they don't want final death. I'm one of those. I've stopped kidding myself along time ago that I could survive many of the scenarios I've inserted f myself into. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.