Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Ok, so I don't like iTunes, never did and never will. It is just too big, not as versatile as WinAmp and worst of all, iTunes store.

So, do you know of a good iTunes replacement? I already tried 'Vox' but it lacks a good playlist view and doesn't save the song list.

Thanks!

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I looked long and hard for an Itunes-substitute but I never found one. There was always SOMETHING that was a bit off or made me look for another app. My best advice is to find the PPC-version of Spotify and import your songs into that. There are some plug-ins that allow, for example, equalizer and other stuff like that but I don't know if they are compatible with PPC.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
You might want to try Songbird - it's very similar in functionality to iTunes but supports plug-ins etc. Someone has a more recent PowerPC build here - http://www.the-eleven.com/tlegg/files/songbird/Songbird_1.10.0a_macosx-ppc.dmg

Yeah... I actually want something that doesn't look like/behave like iTunes. Songbird is so intrusive and huge.

I was looking for something like WinAmp. Anything that resembles iTunes/Songbird/Amarok is just not working for me. Sorry.

Someone recommended Google Music/Play here a while ago...

Is that an app for powerpc mac?

I looked long and hard for an Itunes-substitute but I never found one. There was always SOMETHING that was a bit off or made me look for another app. My best advice is to find the PPC-version of Spotify and import your songs into that. There are some plug-ins that allow, for example, equalizer and other stuff like that but I don't know if they are compatible with PPC.

Spotify doesn't work in my country :(

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Isn't it possible to install in offline mode? I mean if you import your mp3's and play them offline there'd be no streaming, right? That's how I used it anyway, when I wasn't paying for it. I just used it as a player for my local content, and it has wonderful support for playlists, tidy artwork display and a sweet queue function (which were my top priorities in a player at the time).

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Isn't it possible to install in offline mode? I mean if you import your mp3's and play them offline there'd be no streaming, right? That's how I used it anyway, when I wasn't paying for it. I just used it as a player for my local content, and it has wonderful support for playlists, tidy artwork display and a sweet queue function (which were my top priorities in a player at the time).

well, just tried, it doesn't feel right :/

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Unfortunately, there aren't many iTunes alternatives at all, let alone PPC compatible ones. I don't know if Enqueue or Sonora are PPC compatible, but I enjoyed them. Sonora is no longer actively developed, but I use that primarily and leave iTunes for when I need to sync things (I'm still on iTunes 10 by the way and using the green icons from iTunes 6! I hate the icons after that and the UI of 11 is unusable for me.)

On PPC, if you want a simple music player, that does not have library management, theres Cog. It's very lightweight and beats VLC, which can be laggy.

----------

Also, you could use PPC Spotify, which also has the advantage of Spotify's online streaming service. But there are ads everywhere...

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Do you require library management? If you need library management, iTunes seems to be the best there is for the Mac, with Spotify being the next best thing.

You can use Spotify offline with your local collection and it won't display ads: http://www.spotify.com/us/help/faq/local-files/#will-spotify-play-ads-when-listening-to-local-files

Also, I think it plays AAC and I heard recently it'll play ALAC (Apple Lossless).

I'm not sure if this is all true for Spotify's older PPC version, but it's worth a shot.

I've tried various others and couldn't find anything worth using. I have had high hopes for Songbird and keep trying it every so often, but it is extremely slow. I can't imagine a PPC build of it fairs well.

AmaroK might be worth a shot if you can find a PPC OS X build. I used to like it years ago when I ran Linux as my main OS.

VLC 2.0 might be ok. Haven't used it for library management. I always have problems with audio playback, but maybe you won't.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
If you don't need library management, Cog looks like your best bet.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Record Player...great sound,while listening to your fav tune you get to watch it go round and round,meanwhile you also get to look at nice artwork and good liner note read...added bonus you can play backwards!

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Ok, I need something as simple and cool as WinAmp. I don't like having those big libraries or intrusive apps lol

I will try suggested apps. Do you know any other apps I could try?

I wish WinAmp was available for mac :'(

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It is. But it's OS9 only, so you'd have to be running Tiger and Classic to use it or have an OS9 bootable Mac to use it directly in OS9.

The app I linked to earlier (Audion) purports to be almost a clone of Winamp. Drag and drop the music (CDs, MP3s, etc) on to the player and it plays it. Simple as that. It does have playlists, but it's convoluted to set them up.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
It is. But it's OS9 only, so you'd have to be running Tiger and Classic to use it or have an OS9 bootable Mac to use it directly in OS9.

The app I linked to earlier (Audion) purports to be almost a clone of Winamp. Drag and drop the music (CDs, MP3s, etc) on to the player and it plays it. Simple as that. It does have playlists, but it's convoluted to set them up.

WinAmp is available for MAC OS X 10.6 and above. I just downloaded it and was greeted by a semi rock-like radio announcer voice. Nice.

http://www.winamp.com/mac

----------

Ok, I need something as simple and cool as WinAmp. I don't like having those big libraries or intrusive apps lol

I will try suggested apps. Do you know any other apps I could try?

It totally is.

http://www.winamp.com/mac

*EDIT*****!!

I forgot you had a PowerPC Mac.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador

Well... It is useless. My music is from iTunes store (AAC plus) or M4A from original CD's.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
rjcalifornia: Have you looked at SoundApp Reborn (http://thirdcog.eu/apps/soundapp) and Play (http://sbooth.org/Play/) ?

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
haha yeah I don't want to do that just for the music...

May be is there a way to compile the good old XMMS in Mac OS Powerpc?

Why not ? that way also can use pandora or try hulu :) theres plenty of vpn options that cost as low as 10 bucks a year :eek:

Im from Dominican Republic btw :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.