Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I REALLY want this phone to succeed and put Sony back on the map, but I'm concerned about two things. First, the screen looks to have very poor viewing angles by today's standards. Besides straight on, it looks washed out. Second, I fear that the S4 Pro will soon be replaced by newer, much faster chips, and hope Sony can accommodate those when they are released without making other changes to the device.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I hope Sony overtakes Samsung as the main rival to Apple in the HW business. Samsung is not good at innovation and design, they are good at marketing and not screwing up, something Sony has unconscionably done a lot recently.

I hope Sony makes a comeback, they really need to market the hell out of the Xperia line, and get the phones released on time and everything. I would try aggressive pricing first to get these phones in people's hands. What better marketing than seeing a few people on the street/friends with that sexy new Sony phone?

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I hope Sony overtakes Samsung as the main rival to Apple in the HW business. Samsung is not good at innovation and design, they are good at marketing and not screwing up, something Sony has unconscionably done a lot recently.

I hope Sony makes a comeback, they really need to market the hell out of the Xperia line, and get the phones released on time and everything. I would try aggressive pricing first to get these phones in people's hands. What better marketing than seeing a few people on the street/friends with that sexy new Sony phone?

Whoa ohh!!! I hope you didn't just say Samsung is not good at innovation. Lots of Android fanboys will hit the ceiling.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
It appears the Xperia Z will not be LTE enabled for America (does not support bands 4 or 17, what AT&T uses). One, that truly sucks. Two, such a thing makes me think it will not be available officially from AT&T. The lack of LTE is a dealbreaker for me. :mad:

Hold up. The ZL model supports Band 4 for LTE. So perhaps that model is indeed coming to AT&T. Lacks the water resistance of the Z though.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
I like the Z so much that I'm going to buy it when it comes out in Australia. I love that it's compatible with Australian LTE networks and that it's IP57 certified.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I've always said if I were going to jump from iPhone to another platform, it would be Sony...or maybe Nokia.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
It appears the Xperia Z will not be LTE enabled for America (does not support bands 4 or 17, what AT&T uses). One, that truly sucks. Two, such a thing makes me think it will not be available officially from AT&T. The lack of LTE is a dealbreaker for me. :mad:

Hold up. The ZL model supports Band 4 for LTE. So perhaps that model is indeed coming to AT&T. Lacks the water resistance of the Z though.

We better get the Z. We've been getting all the other XPERIAs. Hopefully, Sony isn't stupid enough to release the worse phone to the US.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
We better get the Z. We've been getting all the other XPERIAs. Hopefully, Sony isn't stupid enough to release the worse phone to the US.

Even if the Xperia Z is officially available at US carriers it won't have LTE. That alone will make it a hard sell in the States.

Expect the ZL and not the Z to be offered by American carriers. The ZL is compatible with AT&T's LTE network.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Even if the Xperia Z is officially available at US carriers it won't have LTE. That alone will make it a hard sell in the States.

Expect the ZL and not the Z to be offered by American carriers. The ZL is compatible with AT&T's LTE network.

What does the Xperia Z think it is, a Nexus 4?

AM I RITE??!!

AwesomeSmile.svg

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010

How do you know it won't have LTE?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
How do you know it won't have LTE?

The Xperia Z does have LTE. It's just that the LTE featured on the Z does not operate with the bands used in the US. You can see for yourself on the Z's official spec page on Sony's site. Hence the Z will not be LTE compatible with the 4 major American carriers. And that alone is probably reason enough that none of them will carry it. (Well, T-Mobile might, but that's uncertain.)

The ZL instead does operate on AT&T's LTE network and Sony and AT&T have a close partnership in the past with phones. So put those two facts together and it results in the ZL being offered by AT&T in late Feb/early March.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
The Xperia Z does have LTE. It's just that the LTE featured on the Z does not operate with the bands used in the US. You can see for yourself on the Z's official spec page on Sony's site. Hence the Z will not be LTE compatible with the 4 major American carriers. And that alone is probably reason enough that none of them will carry it. (Well, T-Mobile might, but that's uncertain.)

The ZL instead does operate on AT&T's LTE network and Sony and AT&T have a close partnership in the past with phones. So put those two facts together and it results in the ZL being offered by AT&T in late Feb/early March.

That's not good. I actually like Z better. It's really a bummer because all these supposedly high end Android phones are crippled out of box without LTE. I can see Nexus 4 without LTE to save cost but I don't understand why Sony is doing it.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
That's not good. I actually like Z better. It's really a bummer because all these supposedly high end Android phones are crippled out of box without LTE. I can see Nexus 4 without LTE to save cost but I don't understand why Sony is doing it.

Most flagship Android devices feature LTE. The Nexus 4 is mainly an outlier in today's smartphone market.

I have no idea how Sony determines which phones get what types of LTE bands to operate on. I do agree that omitting the American market from snatching up Xperia Z's with LTE is a huge mistake. The Z appears to be the more premium device between it and the ZL.

I will say however that I prefer the ZL personally. A touch thicker but less bezel. Same screen and camera as the Z. Yes, it lacks the water resistance and that totally sucks. However it gains a dedicated camera button and I strongly prefer the textured backing versus the glass backing of the Z. (I hate glass back smartphones.) Also, a fact that most people probably don't realize is that the ZL is compatible with a 64 GB SD card and the Z is limited to a 32 GB SD card.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
The phone uses an S4 pro which is fast, but is also last years high end processor. With the Tegra 4, and Qualcomm 600/800 processors I'm not so sure why Sony couldn't have waited a little longer, and just grabbed one of those. With 1080P screens being the norm in most every high end phone this year. The Xperia Z will be quickly forgotten at the release of the HTC M7, and Galaxy S4.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
The phone uses an S4 pro which is fast, but is also last years high end processor. With the Tegra 4, and Qualcomm 600/800 processors I'm not so sure why Sony couldn't have waited a little longer, and just grabbed one of those. With 1080P screens being the norm in most every high end phone this year. The Xperia Z will be quickly forgotten at the release of the HTC M7, and Galaxy S4.

Exactly my thoughts.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009

They will probably release a north america model

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
They will probably release a north america model

North America will get the ZL. Not the Z.

----------

I disagree. I don't think most consumers care what processor is featured in their smartphone. They just want a smooth performance.

I can't speak for the rest of the world but the ZL will compete directly in the States with the M7 and S4. The ZL will hold their own against said devices. It's just that until now Sony hasn't sold well lately in America these past few years.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
North America will get the ZL. Not the Z.

----------

I disagree. I don't think most consumers care what processor is featured in their smartphone. They just want a smooth performance.

I can't speak for the rest of the world but the ZL will compete directly in the States with the M7 and S4. The ZL will hold their own against said devices. It's just that until now Sony hasn't sold well lately in America these past few years.

I should have said that Sony will probably release two version of the Xperia Z. One for EU, ME, Asia ect. and one for the Americas (North and South). They have done this is past (i.e. xperia arc s)

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I should have said that Sony will probably release two version of the Xperia Z. One for EU, ME, Asia ect. and one for the Americas (North and South). They have done this is past (i.e. xperia arc s)

There are two variants of the Z but neither will work on North American LTE bands. That reason alone makes me think it won't be officially released here and we will instead get the ZL. Sony Canada has already confirmed that they are going to sell the ZL. I also expect to see the ZL at AT&T.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
There are two variants of the Z but neither will work on North American LTE bands. That reason alone makes me think it won't be officially released here and we will instead get the ZL. Sony Canada has already confirmed that they are going to sell the ZL. I also expect to see the ZL at AT&T.

Where did you get this info from? I'm just curious

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Where did you get this info from? I'm just curious

The official specs of the Z can be found here. There is a PDF in the middle of the page. You can also scroll to the bottom of the page to see the LTE bands the Z will operate on. With respect to there being two variants of the Z I believe I read that on several tech sites. Same goes for the Sony Canada news.

I knew from CES reports that markets not obtaining the Z would likely get the ZL. A look at the ZL's official page shows you that it will operate on AT&T's LTE network. AT&T and Sony have a history regarding smartphones. Put these two facts together and it seems very likely that AT&T will offer the ZL.

You can apply this logic to future devices when it comes to LTE. Just find out what bands they will operate on and you can figure out who potentially will officially offer what in the States.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
I'm really looking forward to this phone. The hardware and design looks stunning - want to hear more about the software now..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.