Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Back to the 4870

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-16 at 8.39.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-16 at 8.39.38 PM.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 63

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Sometimes we can seemingly improve our experiences with add ons

Back to the 4870

Hello Chris,

Hope you're doing well. Hope I'm around this fall to celebrate 60 years of breathing and 56 years of tinkering. Occasionally, I wish that I could always say, "This ain't your father's computer." If I said it to my grandchildren, I'd be telling the truth; but if I said it to my children, I'd be telling a lie. Hope springs eternal and our wishing well overflows, especially as we age.

Attachments

• WindowsPerformanceCapture.JPG
    WindowsPerformanceCapture.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 60
  • MSIwinGB28195Capture.PNG
    MSIwinGB28195Capture.PNG
    63.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Hello Chris,

Hope you're doing well. Hope I'm around this fall to celebrate 60 years of breathing and 56 years of tinkering. Occasionally, I wish that I could always say, "This ain't your father's computer." If I said it to my grandchildren, I'd be telling the truth; but if I said it to my children, I'd be telling a lie. Hope springs eternal and our wishing well overflows, especially as we age.

I am thank you for asking, I hope you are too. It looks like your "boys" are getting faster as time progresses, makes me want to get back involved. But I do think this year will be house building, and yard remodeling. I will be a fun year in tech though DDR4, PCI 3, Tesla, and 4K. Whats your prediction for '13 tech?

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Sometimes our experiences may be measured lower without add ons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Stealth
SoCal here too.....

----------

Strange.... I'm beginning to like you......Same here Stealth.;)
Samsung F3 the 5.9 culprit.

When my mom moved us to SoCal in 1967 from the "Ham," I attended what is now known as Johnnie Cochran middle school (then Mount Vernon Jr. High). There I was given the nic "Tutor" by my classmates because I had to begin working at age 14 to help support my family. I got a job tutoring kids in math at a nearby elementary school. How creative of my classmates to give me that nic "Tutor" and little did they (and I) know that it would stick, the context in which it would stick and how wide its stickiness would reach. I was a Los Angeles High Roman when Dr. Norm Schachter (then head NFL referee - and later after I left - Superintendent for the Los Angeles Unified School District) was principal. Dr. Schachter attracted Ollie Matson (former football player for the Rams, among others and Olympian in track) to be our track and football coach. Boy, did our track team members' legs ache. Yes, I was a runner, and a shot-putter, and a long and high jumper. Many on our track team were offered the opportunity to run and jump for the Trojans (my friend Robert Pullard [our nationally recognized pole vaulter] took them up on it - he was one of the instigators for the stickiness of that now notorious "Tutor" nic) and the Bruins. However, I opted to stretch my legs and my brain in the Big Apple and later at Yolo County's "Aggie Ville" (aka UCD also then known by some as Auburn University's West Coast Campus) just west of Sacramento. Now some call me a geek, and a very old geek at that who has seen worlds of change. Also, I've experienced the Atari, Commodore, Mac and Windows experiences since their inception. I've been moved and moved myself around a lot only, in the end, to return home to the "Ham." Because of my life's experiences, which I cherish vastly more than my Atari, Commodore, Mac and Window's experiences, I began long ago, even before this forum existed, to like all of you, though we've never met face-to-face, and no matter how near or how far from SoCal you happen to be. I owe that tendency to my mentors of old times - Norm Schachter, Ollie Matson and Jack L. Cuneo [who at LAH tricked me into loving (1) chemistry, (2) all of the other areas of science, (3) higher math, (4) myself, (5) everyone else and (6) life itself - and most definitely not in that order listed!] and ones who died long ago such as Leonardo DaVinci. René Descartes got it all wrong - he should have realized that it's: "I am because of all of you others and the examples you set for me to chose from."

This was my Windows Experience Index before adding dual GTX 580s and the OWC Mercury Accelsior 240G:

Attachments

• WindowsExperienceIndex7.8+Capture.PNG
    WindowsExperienceIndex7.8+Capture.PNG
    51.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Tutor

macrumors 65816
But sometimes external indicators of our experiences tell us lies

I am thank you for asking, I hope you are too. It looks like your "boys" are getting faster as time progresses, makes me want to get back involved. But I do think this year will be house building, and yard remodeling. I will be a fun year in tech though DDR4, PCI 3, Tesla, and 4K. Whats your prediction for '13 tech?

Personally '13 tech for me takes a back seat to the very same kinds of things you mentioned: home repair and yard remodeling. I think that this will be the case for a significant number of people worldwide. And it seems to me that none of the world's significant economies are going to burst any positive improvement records this year. How the tech world responds to slowing economies is anybody's guess: do they go slow and/or try to innovate themselves out of the doldrums. On a pure tech level, I look forward to the continuation of the mega core match: Intel Xeon Phi vs. Nvidia CUDA duking it out to find a home in our empty PCI-e slots. The mantra will be: "If you want a faster system, just get another Phi [or CUDA] card." This would lead to an increase in those demanding from motherboard builders the addition of more and faster PCI-e slots or more expansion chassis sales to those with a PacMan like need for number crunchers. So long as there is a stalemate between Intel and Nvidia, it tends to inure to our benefit as members of the consuming public because nothing helps our wallets more than good old fashion competition. But over time either Intel or Nvidia will prevail. Intel may very well quickly eclipse Nvidia in this market because Intel has made the adoption of their technology quicker. Over the long term if their battle persists, which I doubt will be the case, but if it is this may tend to slow, even more, total system replacement cycles. I know that it would for me.

Windows Experience Index for WolfPack3 (Cinebench score 24.7 and Geekbench 2 score of 40,100):

Attachments

• WinExWolfpack3Capture.JPG
    WinExWolfpack3Capture.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.