Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Apple is behind time with its products. Once it was leading, but now it's trailing.

NFC is a good example, a technology that's out there for a while. But Apple thinks users don't need it. That's were they err. They should supply it and let the user decide what they need and not need.

Apple said - our screen size is the best after long research and you don't need any other screen size. Again, the market has another opinion.

Simple fact is now, many people stop buying simply because the brand is Apple and start to compare. And once they compare Apple will lose.

I have NEVER seen anyone use NFC in public so I doubt many people want this feature and it's not secure enough to give people confidence to use everywhere. Eventually Apple will come out with it when it's secure enough for people to use.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I have NEVER seen anyone use NFC in public so I doubt many people want this feature and it's not secure enough to give people confidence to use everywhere. Eventually Apple will come out with it when it's secure enough for people to use.

Do you think NFC is just for electronic payment?

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Finally, some one actually mentions some actual features as to why samsung is on top instead of just mentioning apple for some reason. Though the quality of those customs may come under question (some have said they suck while others really seem to like them), they do seem compelling on the surface. How well do they work? Does the video stutter or skip when miniaturized? Smart stay would also be nice, does it affect battery life since the camera is monitoring your eyes? And how does it work, like if you glance away does the screen turn off?

I actually think the afore mentioned motion control is embarassing. they don't get the concept of gestures representing something in the real world. Samsung has seemingly random gestures that are plain silly. Really, tilt to zoom? Like that's intuitive.

But I will give them credit, they're trying everything. Reminds me of the scene in Star Trek when Nero says 'fire everything!'. There are tons of features on the S3, many are lame, but there's enough there to find something new and useful.

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
The same people also deluded themselves into believing fire = hot about a million years ago.
No. They are the same people who deluded themselves that aluminum was great for the first iPhone. Then plastic was great for the 3G and 3GS. We all know what happened next... another 180.

If Apple made the next iPhone out of dried dog chit it would be the greatest material for a phone ever.

Michael

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

I guess that's why all banks in Ireland are switching people to cards with NFC chips, to make them less secure :rolleyes:

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Do you think NFC is just for electronic payment?

Don't tell me you actually pay $10 to get those NFC tags to automate trivia tasks?

----------

I guess that's why all banks in Ireland are switching people to cards with NFC chips, to make them less secure :rolleyes:

Really? I have all credit cards with NFC chips but never use it to pay at grocery stores.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Don't tell me you actually pay $10 to get those NFC tags to automate trivia tasks.

Yeah and it makes life easier. Got a couple in my car, when I put my phone in the center console ESPN radio comes on. I put my phone in the cup holder songs start playing. I also got tags on the washer and dryer to start auto timer, which my wife loves.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Don't tell me you actually pay $10 to get those NFC tags to automate trivia tasks?

Convenience maybe? Might as well cut out everything that makes stuff easier... why even use a $10 physical keyboard when you can just click the onscreen keyboard in OS X with your mouse? It is so trivial to do that after all.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
It's nice to have the option of NFC, if one wants to use it one can, if not, switch it off. Those phones that don't have it, don't have that choice. Period.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Yeah and it makes life easier. Got a couple in my car, when I put my phone in the center console ESPN radio comes on. I put my phone in the cup holder songs start playing. I also got tags on the washer and dryer to start auto timer, which my wife loves.

Just note you can probably use QR codes for some things and save yourself some money!

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Just note you can probably use QR codes for some things and save yourself some money!

Oh yea that will work really well. :rolleyes:

Let me just fire up this app, aim my phone, oops I need to turn on the LED, dammit not focusing... got it. Zzzzzzzzz

Michael

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Mostly, it's about marketing muscle. HTC's One X is every bit as good as the Samsung S3 but Samsung worked hard at getting real, actual demo models you could play with into the stores (as opposed to the mockups you see in most UK phone shops). I actually had the One X in mind when I went for my upgrade but it was the Samsung I could actually play with in store (and ensure it passed my tap test - the test for that special gorilla glass feel). I still have a preference for Sense though.

As to the OP's diatribe on TouchWiz, I'm guessing someone hasn't played with TouchWiz on Jelly Bean......

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Ok, thats a great feature for you, but generally people dont even have second batteries, so thats why I dont think of it as a main feature on why Samsung would be so successful when compared to other android manufacturers.

Erm, yes they do! And thats speaking from experience! I have a spare in my work bag and a spare in my car - So theres always a spare battery nearby if I need one. Saves caryying around an iphone charger like a see a lot of people do

I cant really comment on those since I've never used those side by side, but from reviews I've read (engadget, verge, cnet, and android central) the nexus 4 is the smoothest and snappiest and the razr has the best battery life, while the one x has the best camera.

Had the Nexus 4, kept it for one day before selling it on. Great phone, but prefered my Galaxy S3. Re moveable battery and expandable memory I didnt want to sacrifice by keeping the Nexus. Also prefered the build of the S3.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Nah that's not it I don't think.

The working range is about 2cm and the screen has to be turned on and the phone unlocked, so unless the machine itself is hacked it's unlikely anybody would be able to steal your money.

It's safer than contactless debit/credit cards because NFC payment apps (at least the ones I've heard of) require you to enter a PIN/password.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Erm, yes they do! And thats speaking from experience! I have a spare in my work bag and a spare in my car - So theres always a spare battery nearby if I need one. Saves caryying around an iphone charger like a see a lot of people do
The funny thing is when I last had a smartphone with removable batteries--and I always had one around--I hardly ever needed to use it. But I still liked having it just in case. Plus I was more likely to not care if the battery was below 25%. If it died, so what. But quite often I would end up making it through without it dying.

Now I panic if I drop below 50% lol.

BTW: I carry around an external battery if I am going to be away from a charging source for an extended period of time. Ugh.

Michael

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Mostly, it's about marketing muscle. HTC's One X is every bit as good as the Samsung S3 but Samsung worked hard at getting real, actual demo models you could play with into the stores (as opposed to the mockups you see in most UK phone shops). I actually had the One X in mind when I went for my upgrade but it was the Samsung I could actually play with in store (and ensure it passed my tap test - the test for that special gorilla glass feel). I still have a preference for Sense though.

As to the OP's diatribe on TouchWiz, I'm guessing someone hasn't played with TouchWiz on Jelly Bean......

It really isn't.

There are plenty of things the GS3 can do that the one x can't do.

Vice versa isn't true.

One X is no GS3

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Oh yea that will work really well. :rolleyes:

Let me just fire up this app, aim my phone, oops I need to turn on the LED, dammit not focusing... got it. Zzzzzzzzz

Michael

Let me make this real simple for you...

for some things

For. Some. Things.

Clearly you wouldn't need the LED light for QR codes around the house (unless you live by candlelight). Focusing is a non-issue too. Takes me a fraction of a second to scan a printed QR code. Can take a little longer when it's on screen for obvious reasons.

That is another benefit of QR codes though, you could integrate them into your desktop wallpaper!

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012

With QR codes you have to open the scanner app to scan the code. You can also overwrite any commands you have stored in NFC tags.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
The funny thing is when I last had a smartphone with removable batteries--and I always had one around--I hardly ever needed to use it. But I still liked having it just in case. Plus I was more likely to not care if the battery was below 25%. If it died, so what. But quite often I would end up making it through without it dying.

Now I panic if I drop below 50% lol.

BTW: I carry around an external battery if I am going to be away from a charging source for an extended period of time. Ugh.

Michael

Exactly the same here. Its just a nice piece of mind knowing that you can change the battery if needed.

Im pretty similar, I can go day to day without having to change my battery, but when I went camping in the lake district having the spare batteries was a god send. Myself and six other lads from work staying in a converted barn, all presuming it had plug sockets but when we arrived there wasnt a single one.

2 people with iphones died with no way of charging, the rest of us had Galaxy S2's and S3's with spare batteries.

If the S4 dosent have a removeable battery, then I will look for another handset that does. A removeable battery for me is essential.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
With QR codes you have to open the scanner app to scan the code. You can also overwrite any commands you have stored in NFC tags.

You can print QR codes on plain paper so they're just as reusable.

Anyway it's not a competition, just a suggestion that might save you some money for some tasks...

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
You can print QR codes on plain paper so they're just as reusable.

Anyway it's not a competition, just a suggestion that might save you some money for some tasks...

Yeah I guess that's another route but NFC tags are cheap now.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Exactly the same here. Its just a nice piece of mind knowing that you can change the battery if needed.

Im pretty similar, I can go day to day without having to change my battery, but when I went camping in the lake district having the spare batteries was a god send. Myself and six other lads from work staying in a converted barn, all presuming it had plug sockets but when we arrived there wasnt a single one.

2 people with iphones died with no way of charging, the rest of us had Galaxy S2's and S3's with spare batteries.

If the S4 dosent have a removeable battery, then I will look for another handset that does. A removeable battery for me is essential.

The absolutely stunning scenery from that part of the country will have given your S3 camera a great workout, did it pass muster? Or did you take a dedicated camera? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.