Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Here's the thing, though, that speaks for my family, and might speak for others. We currently have two phones on $30 grandfathered plans, one iPhone on the old $25 2GB plan, and a feature phone, which has been doing silly things for my pops, so he's gonna be getting a Lumia soon, which would raise the bill by another $20 with the 300MB plan, all on the 700 minute plan with a 17% FAN discount. With our bill sitting at around $200/month now (which I'm trying to figure out how we can lower it, hopefully with removing the $30 texting plan as we all will have smartphones soon and utilize IM apps like Whatsapp, etc., a surplus of rollover minutes, and utilization of talkatone on our iPhones). With mobile share, which will be tiered, the next available to fit our needs is the 4GB plan. With potentially 4 smartphones, that'll put the bill upward of $230 plus taxes. Then, with everyone is allotted a GB or so, a data rationing system is created. All for what? To give more money to AT&T to be able to see each other's face on our screens for a couple of minutes? The tradeoff's ridiculous. Keeping our plans as is, adding my pop's smartphone, then doing away with texting would supplant us at around where our bill is now.

Long story short, for us, the feature set of the new tiered plans isn't enticing or cost-effective enough to warrant families who do use data or work, school, and leisure and who are knowledgable enough about their needs and their bill. The news of a feature addition that leaves long-term customers out who base doing so on costs is a money grab to the worst degree. Contracts are ending in March, pops Lumia will be off contract, phones are being unlocked, and we will be going month-to-month and awaiting T-Mobile's rollout.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not a gift. Free is a gift. I pay $30 per month for this service.

It is a gift in the holistic sense. Yes - you pay for data. But $30 at ATT right now gets you what - 3gb. They are gifting you anything above that. Unlimited. Everything above 3gb, at current rates is free.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It is a gift in the holistic sense. Yes - you pay for data. But $30 at ATT right now gets you what - 3gb. They are gifting you anything above that. Unlimited. Everything above 3gb, at current rates is free.

actually it is 5gb if you are on LTE :)

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth

I see your point. But my point is the 'beaten to a pulp' argument - why did they call it unlimited if they limit at 5GB (throttle), limit FaceTime, and limit tethering. I.e. its not without limits!

ShockTroop

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
Really....

Does ATT think I am going to FaceTime all day long through my unlimited plan?????

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I see your point. But my point is the 'beaten to a pulp' argument - why did they call it unlimited if they limit at 5GB (throttle), limit FaceTime, and limit tethering. I.e. its not without limits!

Here's where I stand on the issue in total.

I am happy I am still able to have an unlimited plan. In actuality - it's probably to my detriment because, as you say, I am limited in services. Esp since I don't go near the 5GB cap on a similarly priced plan. However - I am "safe" for now knowing that I have unlimited and don't have to worry. And since the plan is no longer offered - makes no sense (for me) to switch. If ATT forces me - I won't mind so much because at least I've had it as long as this.

Now. Here's where I get frustrated along with everyone else.

If you are on a metered plan. Then your data should be used however you want. FaceTime, tethering, etc. Because you are in actuality - paying for each byte.

As an unlimited user - I understand that one of the downsides to having unlimited is that ATT doesn't want to tax their network with the MANY of us on unlimited who COULD effectively stream 24/7. I understand and accept that froma business perspective.

But again - metered plans? It shouldn't matter.

A bad restaurant example.

I understand that at an all you can eat buffet - it's only all I can eat when at the restaurant.

However - if I order food ala carte. The restaurant shouldn't dictate how, where and when I eat my food.

Kirb112

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2013
Times have changed since the original contract. Consider yourselves lucky you have unlimited. I'm stuck with a 2 GB cap. I seriously expected AT&T to say all the unlimited agreements were signed during the 3G era and if anyone wanted LTE they would need a new contract. You should be glad that instead of saying that, they upped your throttle cap for LTE.

I was thinking they would do the same thing. Happy and thankful that they did not. Would be nice to have all of the feature though.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Still can't FT on my unlimited iP5 - but at least I can on my iPad mini now!

Possibly on my work iP4S as well - not sure if that's grandfathered unlimited or not....

bmoorhouse

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Houston
Let's see, why do I stick with my unlimited plan?

Because my current bill with 5GB of "unlimited" data and enough texting and minutes to meet our needs is only $108.

The closest service using either AT&T's Family Plan or their Shared Plan is $160.

I understand the Shared Plans are cheaper for some people, but they definitely are not for us.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
I've done this maybe 3 times ever since it was enabled... reading this post just made me realize I still had that capability on my iPhone 5

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
After 3 and a half years, I gave up my AT&T Unlimited data plan. :(

I just switched to the Shared Data plan. For a little bit more than the cost of my one iPhone plus all the extras (tethering, etc), everyone in my family can have an iPhone.

So, I've had FaceTime enabled for a few days now. But guess what? I still don't have anyone to talk to. I know half a dozen people with iOS devices. None of them use FaceTime.

I'm giving mine up soon, maybe with 5S, by moving to someone else...

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
ooooh facetime.:rolleyes: It's like thunderbolt.

AT&T, stop making a big deal how nice you are! You show your colors when you are clearly violating FCC NN rules. By allowing Skype on network data, and not Apple- then nit picking your paying consumer on some plans but not others makes you, AT&T, in gross violation of the policies of the FCC.

Here's a nice excerpt:

"Mobile broadband is at an earlier stage in its development than
fixed broadband and is evolving rapidly. For that and other reasons
discussed below, we conclude that it is appropriate at this time to
take measured steps in this area. Accordingly, we require mobile
broadband providers to comply with the transparency rule, which
includes enforceable disclosure obligations regarding device and
application certification and approval processes; we prohibit providers
from blocking lawful Web sites; and we prohibit providers from blocking
applications that compete with providers' voice and video telephony
services
. We will closely monitor the development of the mobile
broadband market and will adjust the framework we adopt in this Order
as appropriate."

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I will just wait for the jailbreak to give me this feature (even though I may have to wait longer).

Anyway, so on my way home last night, I saw a billboard sign that said "AT&T = Corporate Greed". HAHA! I will see if I can take a picture of it today.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
But again - metered plans? It shouldn't matter.
On the surface it would appear that way, yes. But in reality the tiered prices are based on averages. Averages that, in all likelihood, don't come anywhere near the level of the tiers.

So they factor in the cost (infrastructure-wise) of providing, on average, say, 1GB to each 3GB data subscriber. Yes any one of them is free to use all 3GB for the usage currently allowed. But then the price would change to reflect that now 3GB is the new average.

For whatever the reason it seems AT&T assumed Facetime over 3G/4G was going to raise those averages. But considering how little people really use Facetime when away from wifi they have realized it does not. So now they allow it.

A bad restaurant example.

I understand that at an all you can eat buffet - it's only all I can eat when at the restaurant.

However - if I order food ala carte. The restaurant shouldn't dictate how, where and when I eat my food.
That is a bad example because at a restaurant the food they provide you is gone the minute they serve it to you. If you ate two bites and then left the rest on the table it is still gone and unusable. That is completely different than mobile data.

In a way the tiered plans are more like all-you-can-eat-up-to-this-much with the understanding and pricing model based on averages that say few will really eat "this much."

Michael

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I am surprised there has not been any law suite from unlimited custmers.

That's EASY.... They do not have a cap on their data. Just because they are throttled doesn't mean they do not have unlimited data. Said it before and will say it again. Anyone who has unlimited data should get what they paid for when they bought that plan. Unlimited data at 2G speeds, not 3G, or 4G, or LTE.

People expect unlimited data on an AT&T network that in some areas can have speeds in excess of 40Gb/s when you signed up for a plan that was around 700kbs at the time?

And they are the people who call companies like AT&T greedy. LOL, you have to be kidding me. :eek:

robbone

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
AT&T is such a joke and they are so lame. So the most loyal customers to AT&T still get screwed way to go guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.