Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Attacktaur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Hello. I don't know if this question has already been asked somewhere, but I couldn't find it so I'm posting.

I have my Gmail (in browser) set up so that I can receive / send from five separate accounts by logging into my one main account.

I recently set up my iPhone to do the same, allowing me to choose a "From" address when composing or replying from my phone. I set up the secondary accounts (those I never log into directly) to only update manually, but they are still downloading new messages every time I open the app to look at my Gmail.

Since I never log into these accounts, but have everything forwarded, there is a huge backlog of unread messages in each, and now my mail app constantly has a red 99 instead of the actual number I want: only the unread messages in my primary Gmail account.

Is there any way to prevent this? Or do I just have to live with it? Would it be better to download the Google Gmail app?

Thanks for your help!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hello. I don't know if this question has already been asked somewhere, but I couldn't find it so I'm posting.

I have my Gmail (in browser) set up so that I can receive / send from five separate accounts by logging into my one main account.

I recently set up my iPhone to do the same, allowing me to choose a "From" address when composing or replying from my phone. I set up the secondary accounts (those I never log into directly) to only update manually, but they are still downloading new messages every time I open the app to look at my Gmail.

Since I never log into these accounts, but have everything forwarded, there is a huge backlog of unread messages in each, and now my mail app constantly has a red 99 instead of the actual number I want: only the unread messages in my primary Gmail account.

Is there any way to prevent this? Or do I just have to live with it? Would it be better to download the Google Gmail app?

Thanks for your help!

Settings --> Notifications --> Mail --> Choose account, then you can disable badge app for each individual account, as well as handle notifications for each individual account.

Attacktaur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Settings --> Notifications --> Mail --> Choose account, then you can disable badge app for each individual account, as well as handle notifications for each individual account.

Thank you!
That's exactly what I wanted!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.