Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
No thanks Facebook...I'm good. Funnily enough my phone has that built into it. It's known as Facetime.

And if for any reason I have some odd need to make a video call (not that I ever have/will/do/care about it) to someone on an Android handset, I'll use Skype.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Instant messaging and voice/video calls are the broken parts of the Internet. Why can't everyone use the same protocols instead of locking down their users? :mad:

I can email anyone from any operating system to anyone else on any other operating system and they'll be able to receive it.

Also, what happened to Steve Jobs' promise to open up the FaceTime protocol? :confused:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Any word on whether or not this will roll out to the android app? I imagine so, since facebook seems to be highly motivated to get everyone using their new features.

I think this is pretty cool- it's one more thing that is going to keep people using facebook. Being able to make video calls between iOS, android, WP8, and PC's is a pretty huge deal, and the skype apps kind of suck (except for the WP8 version).

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Nobody uses FaceTime

And not everyone has an iPhone

Next time I'm on FaceTime with my mother, who doesn't own an iPhone, I'll let her know this. Ta!

When Apple released FaceTime I thought they said they were going to open up the protocol for others to use, and also they were going to develop a Windows version of FaceTime. Both are seriously needed. Plus an Android version.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Next time I'm on FaceTime with my mother, who doesn't own an iPhone, I'll let her know this. Ta!

When Apple released FaceTime I thought they said they were going to open up the protocol for others to use, and also they were going to develop a Windows version of FaceTime. Both are seriously needed. Plus an Android version.

I agree 100% but Apple will never develop a facetime app for Android or WP8. A third party could if Apple ever opened it up like they said they would.

fiddlestyx

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Minnesota
Competition for Skype, nice. Now if only I used my facebook account regularly, then I'd find it useful. Maybe I'll have to give this a try.

Slim02

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
Why do people keep saying FaceTime? Because if you READ IT RIGHT, IT SAYS VOICE CALL NOT VIDEO CALL.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Nice. I'm ditching facebook next month anyway. So whatever for me.

Instant messaging and voice/video calls are the broken parts of the Internet. Why can't everyone use the same protocols instead of locking down their users? :mad:

I can email anyone from any operating system to anyone else on any other operating system and they'll be able to receive it.

Also, what happened to Steve Jobs' promise to open up the FaceTime protocol? :confused:

I've been wondering this myself. Maybe they did and just nobody jumping on board?

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Plus the fact that Skype holds a connection better than FaceTime does is pretty emberassing for Apple. My sister told me about it when she tried iPhone 5 to iPhone 5 with her friend, I thought it must have been a rare problem but then I tried with my iPhone 4S and the connection kept cutting out with an error message. Tried Skype right after, no error messages or black screens, the video might have been a bit choppy but it kept the connection at least.

Having used FaceTime since the iPhone 4 came out. I never had any problem relating to FaceTime, I have found Skype calls are actually very low quality compared to FaceTime, but that's just me.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I can see it (or hear it) now....

"Congratulations! You've talked for over 5 minuets! Share with your friends."

I frigg''n hate Facebook! :rolleyes:

Rich101088

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Wales, UK
But i have people on Facebook that i dont want calling me, who might want to call me, e.g people i dont give my number to because theyd call me. This blows that right out of the water.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
FaceTime is not yet cross-platform. I believe that was Apple's original goal, to build it on a protocol that other platforms could utilize, but I've yet to see a third-party integration of FaceTime. Have you seen such a thing

I doubt Apple would give third parties access to FaceTime APIs for free. It was probably one of the deals like the Lightning connector where a developer has to pay a licensing fee to Apple to use the technology. To which the third parties likely responded by giving Apple the finger.

Apple could've gotten away with it if FaceTime was the only good video calling option, but solid video calling apps are a dime a dozen and FaceTime really doesn't do anything that the others don't already do. In fact, some of the other free services do things FaceTime can't like be cross-platform and allow for a video call with more than two people simultaneously.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I'm curious to try this, not that I'll make routine use of it though.

For what it's worth having used Skype and other Voip apps, including Google Voice/Talk, none are worthwhile on 3G. Now on LTE, they are much more consistent. But sadly do suffer in reliability and words dropping out in the middle of calls. What has surprised me is that FaceTime, given it streams video calls, has been much more consistent in my usage even driving 65 mph down the highway (yes I have it on the side, not taking my eyes of the road..)

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Another thing to add to the 'download archive of your Facebook data'? "Download all past calls and voice mails..." that have been conveniently recorded for you. :D

First thought with the privacy policy issues with Facebook and their Instagram. No thanks.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
It's tempting for me to try, but they reality is that everyone I want to do a video call with I can already reach via FaceTime or Skype. Secondly, since I'm on the Verizon Share Everything plan and have unlimited minutes, the voice calling doesn't really appeal to me, either.

I think I'll pass on this app for those reasons and also because I don't trust Facebook not to put a picture of me on a video call with a can of Coke in my hand in an ad for Coke on their website.

Imagine if Facebook developed an algorithm to scan these video calls for products and then went to the manufacturers of those products and said, "We'll sell you advertising on our site that will include pictures of real people using your stuff!" Facebook has to monetize mobile, and maybe that's one way they could do it. Then, they wouldn't have to depend on users to "Like" things for them to show up in their friends' sponsored links section.

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Bad for carriers

Surely carriers are going to want to drop iPhones.
Windows Phone is controlling the VoIP experience with carriers so that makes WP more attractive. I expect carriers to change what phones they are pushing if this takes off and eats into their revenue.

------------

By the way I can't see how this is competition for skype when it will call Skype users and when the desktop version of facebook is just a link to Skype. I have a feeling that this is actually Skype integrated into the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.