Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
After six months of owning the MacBook Pro with retina display I am now having problems with my MagSafe power adapter. Occasionally the power doctor will not light up at all and there will be no indication of my MacBook Pro charging. Apple is going to send me out another MagSafe but I'm just wondering if anyone else's experiences in case it's not just the MagSafe. Also if you look at the MagSafe there's a bit of discoloration almost like burn marks but there's no indication of a burning smell or anything like that.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I did couple months ago.
The charging indicator started to flicker and after a while it just wont charge.
Took it to Apple and without questioning, they replaced it for free.

I think it was me twisting the cable a lot.
And I kicked my power brick several times by accident so Im guessing that was it.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
After six months of owning the MacBook Pro with retina display I am now having problems with my MagSafe power adapter. Occasionally the power doctor will not light up at all and there will be no indication of my MacBook Pro charging. Apple is going to send me out another MagSafe but I'm just wondering if anyone else's experiences in case it's not just the MagSafe. Also if you look at the MagSafe there's a bit of discoloration almost like burn marks but there's no indication of a burning smell or anything like that.

A little dirt is normal. Inspect it with a loupe, if anything look like melted parts then u got a problem.

Clean it, use a can of compressed air.

At intervals, specially while charging, touch it. It should be room's temperature. If other again, u got a problem.

stu3ufc

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008

I can't stand these magsafe. They burn out after a year or so use. I am on my 2nd magsafe which i had to pay £50 to replace each time. The end gets discoloured and then it burns out and doesn't work. Conveniently after the 1 year warranty runs out.

I have no idea how to combat this but just accept my macbook sucks because it's not the newer model which i would buy if i didnt spend money on this plastic 2008 one. wish i could have the newer model with better memory and hard drive space

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.