Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lbros360

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
If there is a high end Android handset with a good design (not covered with carrier logos and made of plastic) and 64GB of storage (hello, throttled data plan) then I will be tempted to switch platforms if iOS7 isn't a big improvement. It's a big pain to switch but even BB10 is looking more interesting these days.

Honestly, I think Apple is a little complacent these days and I wouldn't expect that they think anything major needs to change. The 5S will definitely not see a major OS revision.

I think the HTC One x+ is the phone for you... It has 64gb, feels solid, doesn't have too many carrier logos, nice screen, Nvidia graphics, beats audio, and jellybean! I currently have the IPhone 4s and after seeing my friend's htc one x+, I am tempted to make the switch!:) It's 200 like the IPhone 5 for a 2 year contract with at&t.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Of course I'm switching to Android next time around. I really dislike paying once for an app on one device and then sharing it on all my devices.. I wish I could pay more for them. Also, if something is wrong with the phone, I really don't want to walk into an Apple store and have them fix it right away, I much prefer mailing it out and waiting days or even weeks for the phone back, it's much more interesting that way. And I hate how everything just works.. yes I want to be challenged with a little troubleshooting now and then. I want glitches, smooth UI.. naw. I don't want a smooth UI, I want to tinker with stuff so I can break it and then try to fix it again.. yes I'm switching at first chance I get!

arc123

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
Pretty good chance I'll stick with iPhone. I am not a fan of the large displays on Android devices, personally. 4.3" might be OK, but it's near pushing it. I'm very happy with the 4" display on the iPhone 5. I'm obviously in the minority, but I consider the omission of NFC to be an attractive feature rather than a demerit. I don't find NFC very useful, and consider it more of a vector for security breach than an indispensible tool. I find Android OK overall but nothing about it really motivates me to switch. I do like the Lumia 920 and WP8, though.

Still, I'd like to see some significant advances in iOS7. It would be nice if the mail application allowed me to mark spam, safari had ad block and tabbed browsing (I know third-party apps have this), more photo-editing options and an option to save the edited photo as a new file, improved maps accuracy(and get rid of the asinine requirement to turn on location services to view traffic; old maps never had that), support for comments and track changes when opening DOC files, and maybe native support for phone number filtering for accepting calls or texts. Apologies if one or more of these already exist; I haven't encountered them thus far.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
I was at the doctors today and saw a cute chick with a white phone and a very nice screen. Asked her "what type of phone you're holding because it's very slim and looks gorgeous" to which she replied "the HTC ONE X+". Wow not bad. Pretty much the only reason I'll hold onto my iphone 5 until the 5s-6 hits the market is the build quality of the iphone. I love the built quality. Do I think there are better phones out there? for sure. I'm still waiting for the S4 to arrive. It's estimated to rip a few bites into the Apple turning it into a stub you'll want to spit out. The so-called gimmicks and futuristic features are called innovation, something which the iphone lacks. All the fanbois will be pissing in their pants when you'll see the S4 unveiled. The was a dumb looking person with an iphone 5 and myself but everyone else had Samsungs or HTCs. Let's not forget the Blackberry 10 might make a strong comeback.

Stub_Apple_V1_02.jpg19ab3663-d380-431f-9575-666e7eb3c86bLarge.jpg

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
For me (with a new 4S) I see no reason to go with either a 5 or a 5S.

We can bet the 5S won't be a big improvement over the 5 and we pretty much know that iOS7 will disappoint. At that point I may go with wp8 lumia 920 on my open line.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
For me (with a new 4S) I see no reason to go with either a 5 or a 5S.

We can bet the 5S won't be a big improvement over the 5 and we pretty much know that iOS7 will disappoint. At that point I may go with wp8 lumia 920 on my open line.

Samsung Galaxy S4 ftw. Maybe Apple will start scratching their heads instead of their balls and do some inovation with all those billions in offshore accounts.

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
Pretty good chance I'll stick with iPhone. I am not a fan of the large displays on Android devices, personally. 4.3" might be OK, but it's near pushing it. I'm very happy with the 4" display on the iPhone 5. I'm obviously in the minority

i'm happy with the screen on my 4.... if i want something bigger i'll pick my ipad up :apple:

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
i bought my iphone 5 late november 2012, 64 gb at full price. i plan to keep this for about 3 years. and whe the 3 years is up, i'll consider other phones at that time and weigh my options. i might look into getting a google nexus device if verizon will carry it. but for now i'm happy with mine, not to mention unlimited LTE data plan coz i'm grandfathered.

but yeah i agree that iOS has become less innovative with incremental updates.
i love everything about the iphone 5 except poor battery life, slow wifi, and it being prone to scuffs and scratches.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
I've had all iPhones since the 3G and been nothing but impressed with them all, they work perfectly with my Macs, iPads and Airport. All perfectly glued together in a nice big squishy Apple ecosystem of joy.

However, as i'm getting older and possibly more money conscious i'm starting to wonder if i need an iPhone? Back in the 3G days i used it as a mobile computer/games console/web browser/hifi etc etc. Since then i utilise it less and less. Nowadays i reply to texts, read emails, occasional Facebook or picture taking. i take my iPad Mini most places with me during a working week which has taken over most things. The battery life doesn't help with this, i get over double the battery life between charges on the Mini so i find myself using it to stretch the iPhone battery life out whilst at work.

If Apple do release a cheaper iPhone i'd be "on it like a car bonnet" just to keep in the ecosystem (already purchased apps, iCloud, iTunes Match etc) but if not, i may need to consider cheaper alternatives. I can't justify spending £500 on another iPhone when i can do 99% of the stuff i need to on a device that costs half as much.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I was at the doctors today and saw a cute chick with a white phone and a very nice screen. Asked her "what type of phone you're holding because it's very slim and looks gorgeous" to which she replied "the HTC ONE X+". Wow not bad. Pretty much the only reason I'll hold onto my iphone 5 until the 5s-6 hits the market is the build quality of the iphone. I love the built quality. Do I think there are better phones out there? for sure. I'm still waiting for the S4 to arrive. It's estimated to rip a few bites into the Apple turning it into a stub you'll want to spit out. The so-called gimmicks and futuristic features are called innovation, something which the iphone lacks. All the fanbois will be pissing in their pants when you'll see the S4 unveiled. The was a dumb looking person with an iphone 5 and myself but everyone else had Samsungs or HTCs. Let's not forget the Blackberry 10 might make a strong comeback.

S4 hasn't even been announced yet how do you know what features it will have?

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Of course I'm switching to Android next time around. I really dislike paying once for an app on one device and then sharing it on all my devices.

You can do this on Android. Once purchased its linked to your account, not your device. Download on phone, also use on Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 etc....

And I hate how everything just works.. yes I want to be challenged with a little troubleshooting now and then. I want glitches, smooth UI.. naw. I don't want a smooth UI, I want to tinker with stuff so I can break it and then try to fix it again.

Thats quite handy, have you said hello to Apple Maps? Maybe you would have liked the "Do Not Disturb" function a couple of weeks ago when it stopped working properly.

In fact, sounds like you should probably stay with iphone :)

arc123

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
i'm happy with the screen on my 4.... if i want something bigger i'll pick my ipad up :apple:

That's pretty much my attitude as well. I have other devices with larger displays for tasks that require such a thing. Specialization doesn't always work, but in this case I think it works well for me.

One hardware change that would be nice is two radios or voice-over-LTE so the phone doesn't drop to 4G on data whenever you have a call.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
I'm the same way.
On the Road -
Stopping for chow at the Pub, not one person out of 3-400 has an iPad in here.

It's strictly reading on phones & quite a few have the larger screens.
Even the younger guys are sporting larger screen phones surprised me a little.
Shoulder to shoulder is not the best scene for normal iPads.

iPads are either at home or in the car vs in a Pub.
I brought mine in anyway - but didn't use it. Seemed a bit awkward.
I always bring it with on the Cruiser. Set it on the tank to view Maps.

Hit the coffee shop on next pit stop - it's only laptops in here.
I was the only one with an iPad. Obviously in its leather transformer case.

The environment for full size iPads seems to be pretty selective & excepted.
I suspect the Mini will dominate the tougher crowd scene at Pub type sports bar environments in the near future.

Although some bars are using iPads for on-line gambling.

Jameshrcairns

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2008
Personally, I'm gunna stick with iPhones, mainly because of the connectivity between my other apple devices through iCloud, for example if I'm at college and my iPads run out of battery, my documents on pages have already been synced to the cloud and are updated to when I last edited them and I can use my iPhone to retrieve them.. And I don't have to do any saving or uploading to Dropbox or anything.
Also most of my friends and family have iOS devices so I get good use of iMessage and facetime.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Absolutely love my iPhone 5, and will continue to buy them purely because it runs seamlessly alongside my iMac and MBP.
HOWEVER, I will be buying the Sony Xperia Z for 3 reasons;
Beautiful big screen (Something I would love the iPhone to have).
Build quality seems to be good from what I have read (Unlike most androids).
Looks absolutely stunning.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I've never been more divided than I am now. I switch phones a lot (and sometimes keep more than one) so I'm very familiar with Android.

Still, I've more or less stuck with the iPhone because of the keyboard (I blaze on it), large library of purchased & available apps (and their quality), efficiency (takes far less time to do major things on the iPhone), hardware (the 4 and 4S had class-leading cameras, CPUs and GPUs for example, retina screens), build & materials (I don't drop phones), and finally iMessage and FaceTime.

I have a lot of friends and family in different countries around the world, and for people like my future in-laws, making sure Skype is running so they can receive a call is a bit much. Also, FaceTime's codec is really efficient, I've even read something from a Skype engineer stating that it's better than theirs.

Problem is, iMessage isn't working all that great these days (well, when has it?), FaceTime has certain limitations (no 3G on iPhone 4, retarded), there's better hardware out there (I'm particularly attracted to the Sony Xperia Z, it's attractive, has a great screen, good specs and an even better camera), reasonably well built options (again like the Xperia Z, which is also waterproof), Android app availability is nearly on-par (quality still needs to improve), and during a recent stint with a Galaxy Nexus, a strange thing happened. I started swiping on the 4.2 keyboard, and when I went back to the iPhone, I found that the swiping had really grown on me! For the first time, I felt the iPhone keyboard to be inadequate.

Right now, the only major area that bothers me is that Android has too many steps to everything. I think I counted 9 steps on something (sharing something maybe, can't remember) vs. 2 on the iPhone. However, it also has its advantages. You can link whichever app to whichever app you want (open file types etc.), there's some semblance of a file system etc. It's that vs. the efficiency I like on the iPhone, which is important for a mobile, pocket-friendly device.

I think the iOS platform has never been further from ideal/perfect. It seems to me that software ideas have stagnated, and changes are made for the sake of change. E.g. When you'd send an e-mail, you'd hear the swoosh sound when it was actually sent, which was useful. In iOS 6, you hear it right away, and you won't know if it didn't go for some reason (e.g. too large) by sound.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
More than likely. I am getting a bit tired of the same old same old iOS design but the whole ecosystem as a whole works so well together I'll likely stay.

Still100

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
I would stay with iPhone but I'm starting to get sick of the lockdown. It's still there since 2007.

Brown Trout

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
I'm in for the next one. My 4 and 5 have been perfect for me, and my work phone is a 5 also. I'm an IOS convert and that got me past MS to OSX and I have no regrets being an Apple slappy.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I'm fine with the iPhone. I don't stop using a brand/model of anything until it is unable to accomplish the tasks I need it to do on a daily basis. I used RIM products for 25 years before I became unhappy with lack of productivity I received from their devices.

If the op is hoping for a mass exodus from the Apple brand; they are not going to get an accurate measure by polling a very minute portion of the user base here on this forum. Try asking your question in a shopping mall or other area with a much more diverse crowd.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I have really become tired of the iphone and iOS. I bought the 3G (which I really liked) and the 4 (which, apart from antennagate issues, forcing me to use a case) which I liked even more.

4S left me a bit cold and I was hoping for the 5 to be more than incremental and was really hoping for iOS 6 to be a larger change.

I tried hard to convince myself to get the 5 (also really hoping for the Nokia lumia 920 and WP8 to be a home run but disappointed with QC problems and WP8 also disappointing). I tried to get my head around the plastic fantastics of Samsung but could not.

I am hoping for the Sony Xperia ZL will turn out well (in Canada we seem to just be getting the ZL).

I see stagnation with Apple (and I am *not* buying the sloppy WSJ article of Sunday night). I believe Apple will have a good quarterly result next Wednesday. Simply, I have no enthusiasm for the iPhone anymore.

Last edited:

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
If ios7 is just a small upgrade like ios6 was and iOS remains boring I will be switching to BB10 only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.