Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Thank you all so much for the help. I think I finally got it.

Last edited:

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Did a search for "how to do subs" and found this HUGELY helpfull thread! I do however want to review what I got out if it just to be sure about one thing!

1.) Check all top English Sub tracks ( including Forced ) in MakeMKV

2.) Review the Sub tracks in VLC to determine which one you want!

3.) In Handbreak in Sub tab (Foriegn Audio Search) select the Sub track you reviewed in VLC then test check with Forced tab first, if nothing check Burn-In tab.

4.) now my question... Are the HB steps above only doable in the Nightbuild OR can the current HB version accomplish this as well?

Thanks Jim

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Did a search for "how to do subs" and found this HUGELY helpfull thread! I do however want to review what I got out if it just to be sure about one thing!

1.) Check all top English Sub tracks ( including Forced ) in MakeMKV

2.) Review the Sub tracks in VLC to determine which one you want!

3.) In Handbreak in Sub tab (Foriegn Audio Search) select the Sub track you reviewed in VLC then test check with Forced tab first, if nothing check Burn-In tab.

4.) now my question... Are the HB steps above only doable in the Nightbuild OR can the current HB version accomplish this as well?

Thanks Jim
All steps doable with current release, as long as you are doing dvd's. If you are doing BR, you need the nightly.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks and crap : (

Tried searching what I nightly was 'is' and a million things came up?!

What exactly is A nughtly build? Another version of Handbreak ... Always confusing and have avoided the topic.

A link of clarification would be great if you could direct me man.

Thanks again Jim

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks and crap : (

Tried searching what I nightly was 'is' and a million things came up?!

What exactly is A nughtly build? Another version of Handbreak ... Always confusing and have avoided the topic.

A link of clarification would be great if you could direct me man.

Thanks again Jim

https://build.handbrake.fr/view/Nightlies/

You can find the link at the Handbrake Forum, General tab.

A nightly is a non-stable version of HB. Each night, HB is re-built incorporating changes that the developer community has approved. Some night's there are not changes, some nights there are. So think of it as a beta. With that said, the Nightly HB version functions very well. Yes, sometimes there is a bug that needs correcting but they are usually small bugs. I use the Nightly all the time without issue.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Thank you for the clarification Mic J, only 2 questions after visiting link and I am good.

Looks like there are different nightly builds (versions) listed? or is it just one that is updated with changes?

Also do you have both the current and the Beta installed at the same time? Then choose which to use whatever the case may be?

Thanks So SO MUCH again man! I have learned a lot from you on here : ) your like my Yoda dude lol
JIM

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thank you for the clarification Mic J, only 2 questions after visiting link and I am good.

Looks like there are different nightly builds (versions) listed? or is it just one that is updated with changes?

Also do you have both the current and the Beta installed at the same time? Then choose which to use whatever the case may be?

Thanks So SO MUCH again man! I have learned a lot from you on here : ) your like my Yoda dude lol
JIM
You embarrass me. :eek: And Dynaflash is my Yoda dude, so take anything he posts very seriously.

There are multiple versions for multiple platforms PC, Mac, Fedora, etc. So pick the one that matches what you use. You can have both the released version and the Nightly version at the same time. You can use the released version for dvd's and the Nightly for BR's. But, if the Nightly is working well for you, you can just use it for everything. In another post here, Dynaflash indicated that the Nightly also has some video quality improvements over the released version. So there are also may be reasons to use it over just the fact that it handles PGS subtitles.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I would suggest sticking with the nightly once you start. If you go back to using 0.9.8 you would want to manually trigger a built in preset update as the nightly like does use different preset code. Going up (newer) they are automatically updated but regressing back you'd want to probably stick with it.

Each nightly generated by the build server replaces the one from the day before. In some ways they are more stable than 0.9.8.

If you start using nightlies you might want to check the Trac Timeline to see what the latest changes are https://trac.handbrake.fr/timeline

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I would suggest sticking with the nightly once you start. If you go back to using 0.9.8 you would want to manually trigger a built in preset update as the nightly like does use different preset code. Going up (newer) they are automatically updated but regressing back you'd want to probably stick with it.

Each nightly generated by the build server replaces the one from the day before. In some ways they are more stable than 0.9.8.

If you start using nightlies you might want to check the Trac Timeline to see what the latest changes are https://trac.handbrake.fr/timeline
Thanks for that info. Learned something new.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Awesome guys - Very pumped now to give this all a whirl.

First attempt will be the original 'LET THE RIGHT ONE IN' want to keep the original soundtrack of the film but have English subs! Been trying awhile now without success, so I am sure the nightly will work it all out!

Again can't thank ya's enough! JIM

UPDATE : UPDATE : UPDATE:

My first SUBTITLE rip was a success with the NIGHTLY!! Love the new HB and won't be looking back! Thanks DYNAFLASH & MIC J again and again for everything today!!!

Last edited:

ghostriver

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Hi I am quite lost sorry

So can someone clear it up for me with what I have to do. I have two European
region 2 movies on DVD I want to rip with Handbrake, the reason to this is because I cannot play the dvds normally on my Macbook Pro because it's a region 1.

So when I use Handbrake my concern is do I have to play the movie while ripping it? (it's impossible since the regions code are different)

and as for the subtitles, I see about using nightly. But I am confused, may someone please clear this up for me?:confused:

Will it be easy for me to rip these dvds off?

I am completely new to this. Please help.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Hi I am quite lost sorry

So can someone clear it up for me with what I have to do. I have two European
region 2 movies on DVD I want to rip with Handbrake, the reason to this is because I cannot play the dvds normally on my Macbook Pro because it's a region 1.

So when I use Handbrake my concern is do I have to play the movie while ripping it? (it's impossible since the regions code are different)

and as for the subtitles, I see about using nightly. But I am confused, may someone please clear this up for me?:confused:

Will it be easy for me to rip these dvds off?

I am completely new to this. Please help.

I've had the same regional coding issue (in reverse). When you insert the DVD, your Mac will prompt you to change your regional coding (don't do that) or cancel, which will eject the disk. What you need to do is ignore the prompt and open the disk in Handbrake. It will be able to copy/convert the movie just fine.

As for subtitles, the bulk of this thread is about getting subtitles off Blu Ray. For DVD I believe your only option is to add the appropriate .srt file, which can be downloaded (for free) off a simple web search, and added to your movie either by Handbrake during conversion or Subler post-conversion.

There are tons of threads in here a bout both those topics, so have a look around. :)

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012

Hey DynaFlash just a quick ?
with the ATV3 preset I noticed the DECOMB is checked is that neccesary for Bluray MKV's? I thought i read on here awhile back that only DVD need use the DEINTERLACE & DECOMB checked. Thanks JIM

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Hey DynaFlash just a quick ?
with the ATV3 preset I noticed the DECOMB is checked is that neccesary for Bluray MKV's? I thought i read on here awhile back that only DVD need use the DEINTERLACE & DECOMB checked. Thanks JIM
Yeah its checked and no you probably do not need it *however* it uses decomb - fast which on progressive ( typical blu ray) sources has no speed hit, so there is no reason not to have it enabled just in case ( I have it on for all of mine ) The only reason it would slow down the encode is if it detects combing on a frame in which case it will either deinterlace or blend which you would want anyway. Go ahead and leave it checked. There is no downside.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Awesome & Awesome!! Dynaflash I Will let it be then! Thanks again man for the info! JIM

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Np. The preset was written that way for a reason. ;)

Now that also said let me answer the inevitable question: " Why do the rest of the presets not include decomb ?"

Answer: Because for a very long time HB devs were split on if decomb was accurate enough. It is. Plus since its inception (by jbrjake) it had a speed hit on progressive sources however, in recent months that has been optimized to the point where on progressive (non interlaced content

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I use the Nightly all the time without issue.

Me too - have been using nightlies alongside the official one. Haven't run into either bugs or vastly increased performance - they both converted my BR videos equally reliably and quickly.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Me too - have been using nightlies alongside the official one. Haven't run into either bugs or vastly increased performance - they both converted my BR videos equally reliably and quickly.

I concur to that!! Subs option is fantastic, can't praise it enough!
Now with the regular HB I always used the HIGH PROFILE preset for my MKV's but decided to give the APPLE TV3 preset a try in the nightly even though I drive an ATV2 and files look and work great!

I did however want to ask what the difference was suppose to be between the two presets in the nightly? Finding it hard to distinguish one? Thanks JIM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.