Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Ive been looking at buying a iPhone 4 or 4s on eBay to use as an MP3 player and for games. i have an android phone and an iPad 2 but Ive missed the iPod touch 4g that was stolen from me. So i decided that i would get an iPhone for the better camera and im not sure if it performed better than the iPod touch 4th genration.

Nevertheless, alot of the phones on eBay come with iOS 6 already installed and iwanted to know how is performance and such on iOS 6. I have read some forums and articles which state that ios 6 completely killed their iPhone so im a little hesitant. Thanks

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ive been looking at buying a iPhone 4 or 4s on eBay to use as an MP3 player and for games. i have an android phone and an iPad 2 but Ive missed the iPod touch 4g that was stolen from me. So i decided that i would get an iPhone for the better camera and im not sure if it performed better than the iPhone 4.

Nevertheless, alot of the phones on eBay come with iOS 6 already installed and iwanted to know how is performance and such on iOS 6. Thanks

iOS 6 runs perfectly well on my iPhone 4S. You don't have anything to worry about when it comes to this.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Depending on prices, why not get a 5th gen iPod Touch since you would only use it as an MP3 player, 32 gig is $300. Not saying you have to go this route, but I'm just curious.

Edit: nevermind, the 5th gen Touch, and iPhone 4, have 5 MP camera, while the 4S have 8MP

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
bad esn iphones much cheaper than new ipod touch 5th

Depending on prices, why not get a 5th gen iPod Touch since you would only use it as an MP3 player, 32 gig is $300. Not saying you have to go this route, but I'm just curious.

Edit: nevermind, the 5th gen Touch, and iPhone 4, have 5 MP camera, while the 4S have 8MP

iphone 4/4s ebay 16gb bad esn is like $150

smoge

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 6.0.1. It runs great. I have 261 applications, theres no slowdown and no lag. The only downside to iPhone 4 iOS 6 is that you can't use apple turn by turn navigation, 3d maps or Siri.

Last edited:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 6.0.1. It runs great. I have 261 applications, theres no slowdown and no lag. The only downside to iPhone 4 iOS 6 is that you can't use apple turn by turn navigation, 3d maps or Siri.

This was my experience before passing my iPhone 4 on to another family member. It worked fine under iOS 6. Another family member with a 3GS also has no problems with iOS 6.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

I agree ios 6 probably runs better than ios 5 did. You can jailbreak if you really want siri and 3d maps and so on.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
You could but the iPod Touch 5th Generation. Exactly the same as the iPhone 5 with the exception of the design, 8MP camera, Calling & Texting. If your not interested, the iPhone 4S is the way to go. IOS 6 runs smoothly on it as it is only 1 year old and shipped with IOS 5.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Runs fine, but the battery life on iOS 6 barely scrapes above 5 hours. With iOS 5, I was regularly meeting 7-10 hours.
At the same time there have been at least some reports the other way around, and other reports that not much changed in relation to battery life. Seems to be different for different people.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Performs the best out of any iOS version for me, but I've jailbroken every time, so that data might be off. Regardless, iOS 6 runs fine on the iPhone 4, not that the iPhone 4 "supports" very many of its features.

----------

It's not to shabby on the 3GS. Apple probably wouldn't allow the upgrade if it were going to ruin the experience.

A Microsoft exec claimed that Apple pushes out these updates to slow down old iPhones on purpose. I don't think he's ever used an iPhone because the updates always work fine.

maisiembp

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
NZ
Works fine on my mother's 4S...

Are you sure about buying an iPhone off eBay? Lots of them on there look like they're not legit...

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Got One ! 16gb iPhone 4 Verizon Good ESN

Works fine on my mother's 4S...

Are you sure about buying an iPhone off eBay? Lots of them on there look like they're not legit...

Yeah you can get them of eBay just check sellers reviews and if they just opened the account don't buy from them. eBay also has buyer protection to protect you from scams.

Got a iPhone 4 16gb on Verizon for $150 so not that bad if i do say so. Use for an iPod for now and might sell when the price of new ipod or iPhone 4s goes down.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
A Microsoft exec claimed that Apple pushes out these updates to slow down old iPhones on purpose. I don't think he's ever used an iPhone because the updates always work fine.

I would have believed this about 5, it really was a clunky update, but 6 has been amazing for me

I'm guessing 6 is the last big update for the 3GS so nice to end on a high.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Ive been looking at buying a iPhone 4 or 4s on eBay to use as an MP3 player and for games. i have an android phone and an iPad 2 but Ive missed the iPod touch 4g that was stolen from me. So i decided that i would get an iPhone for the better camera and im not sure if it performed better than the iPod touch 4th genration.

Nevertheless, alot of the phones on eBay come with iOS 6 already installed and iwanted to know how is performance and such on iOS 6. I have read some forums and articles which state that ios 6 completely killed their iPhone so im a little hesitant. Thanks

My wife and I have 4s phones and iOS 6 has been working flawlessly for us. Phones seem fast, battery life good (typical), etc. I wouldn't worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.