Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
There is an ATI 7000 controller extension.

I might add the minimum system version is 10.8

They could just be making the ATI 7000 series cards available for the 2010 Mac Pro.

Nah the power envelope for the decent 7XXX series don't tie in with what is available on the current Mac Pro line. Thanks for the info but I really think it's support for the new units.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Slow shutdowns are due to state saving. Switch off "open applications after startup" and it shuts down in 3 seconds.

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
Slow shutdowns are due to state saving. Switch off "open applications after startup" and it shuts down in 3 seconds.
No way. I've got it switched off and it still takes forever to shut down.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Just a personal opinion with no basis in facts but I fell like this is the last one before OS 11.0 due to the change in IOS bosses.

"OS 11", as a name, isn't coming anytime soon. There's too much brand value in "OS X", and pedantic nit-picking won't change that. Also, they're placing more marketing value on the informal (cat) name over the version number.

We'll get "OS X 10.10" (perfectly normal in versioning), or even "OS X 11.0".

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
2) Poor battery life (2-3 hours, max, on MacBook Pro w/ 92% of original battery capacity)

I had this exact issue, couldn't figure out what was causing it. Apple Genius told me as a last resort to reformat and load all the stuff back onto the HD from scratch. Problem solved.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
"OS 11", as a name, isn't coming anytime soon. There's too much brand value in "OS X", and pedantic nit-picking won't change that. Also, they're placing more marketing value on the informal (cat) name over the version number.

We'll get "OS X 10.10" (perfectly normal in versioning), or even "OS X 11.0".

You do know the X stands for 10 right ?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Yes, they made that very, very clear when they first announced it. That, and the fact that they say "O S Ten" on stage during keynotes.

But as a brand, it's sticking around.

Exactly. Windows went from 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, then 95, 98, and Me. NT started at 3.1, then went to 3.5, 4.0, then 2000. Later the two lines merged as XP, Vista, 7, and now 8. Surely OS X can break the "10.9" mold with something like "10.10, 10.11 ...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Yes, they made that very, very clear when they first announced it. That, and the fact that they say "O S Ten" on stage during keynotes.

But as a brand, it's sticking around.

iPhone OS was changed to IOS when the iPad came out.

Exactly. Windows went from 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, then 95, 98, and Me. NT started at 3.1, then went to 3.5, 4.0, then 2000. Later the two lines merged as XP, Vista, 7, and now 8. Surely OS X can break the "10.9" mold with something like "10.10, 10.11 ...

Might be a new kind of kernel coming ?

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
still no reason for "switching" from SL to ML. i have to admit that airdrop is nice, but not so widespread. all the social cr@p can go to hell. i want back proper exposè and spaces.

I too love SL. But what is with the hate on social networking? If you don't like it, all you have to do is not sign in and go into settings and have it removed from the NC. Problem solved :)

But still, SL is still my favorite Mac OS X update. But ML is pretty darn close. I do in fact love having the integration of icloud so my iPhone talks to my Mac :)

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
My 10.8.2 issues:

1) SLOW SHUTDOWNS

2) Poor battery life (2-3 hours, max, on MacBook Pro w/ 92% of original battery capacity)

3) iCal randomly gives errors with Google calendars.

I've seen no changelog (anywhere) that mentions those being addressed.

Funny, I get the iCal errors randomly too. No idea why..

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009

Apple doesn't need to do that. All they need to do is get rid of the number scheme and just call it Mountain Lion, Cougar etc.

Who needs numbers except for dev builds? It's confusing and meh. Just call it Mac OS Cougar or whatever the next release will be.

No need for numbers like 10.9, just my little rant.

leo.andres.21

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Centre of the Attention
Improve start up time for people with regular HDD would be a start, shut down time doesn't bother me too much since I rarely if ever shut down (maybe to go into boot camp)
Graphics drivers and Safari needs to be updated, Safari has graphical glitches after the graphics is switched back and forth between integrated and discrete, doesn't happen with chrome or firefox.
Otherwise, still a very solid and smooth OS, though I do want more than just 4-5 hours battery, at least 6 would make me happy. It was 7 when I bought mine with Snow Leopard 2 years ago, since it's obviously been through many cycle and battery health is less, I only expect it to be about 1 hour less, not a whopping 2-3 hours (forced integrated graphics and 40% brightness)

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.

Maybe that's the case with some software configurations, but for most it's something else. Even on a new Mac where i just finished setting up users after the firts boot it took forever to restart.

----------

Apple doesn't need to do that. All they need to do is get rid of the number scheme and just call it Mountain Lion, Cougar etc.

Who needs numbers except for dev builds? It's confusing and meh. Just call it Mac OS Cougar or whatever the next release will be.

No need for numbers like 10.9, just my little rant.

As long as it runs great i have no problem even if they call it Mac OS Pussycat.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
I really don't get why they started calling it OS X and not, like, Mac OS. Because Mac OS will apply even when they introduce System 11, but OS X won't.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I'm so tired of reading this. First of all, "all the social cr@p" is completely optional and not at all intrusive. It can be completely turned off. Second of all, SL didn't have "proper" exposè. "proper" exposè ended with Leopard. SL added the scaled exposè which many argued was worse. ML brings back proper, unscaled, exposè.

Still don't like it? Don't use it then. But this completely unconstructive whining has to end.

Then don't read it... First of all, though "all the social cr@p" is completely optional, its processes are not, and thus cannot be turned off whether you use it or not. It's a bloatware to say the least. Secondly, Leopard has the "proper" exposè, SL is the refinement of it. It looks a lot cleaner than some random windows thrown at your screen. I just don't understand why would Apple want to reverse it with Lion and Mountain Lion. I guess that's the very sign that Apple is going BACKWARDS hence the lack of innovation after SJ got beaten back to his grave.

Still don't like it? Don't read it then, don't even bother to quote. Because this I-hate-SL-buggers-ML-being-latest-and-greatest-wannabe whining has to end. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

----------

Wow, they're really making a lot of fixes in 10.8.3. I can't wait to download it.

12D54 and you say it's a lot of fixes...? In Snow Leopard, I guess they fixed a lot more with 3-digit builds. That's why Mountain Lion is still a piece of ****...

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
Still don't like it? Don't read it then, don't even bother to quote. Because this I-hate-SL-buggers-ML-being-latest-and-greatest-wannabe whining has to end. :rolleyes::rolleyes:.
Says the guy who always post in ML related threads to whine about how ML sucks and SL is the best :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.