Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slim02

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
It's tempting for me to try, but they reality is that everyone I want to do a video call with I can already reach via FaceTime or Skype. Secondly, since I'm on the Verizon Share Everything plan and have unlimited minutes, the voice calling doesn't really appeal to me, either.

I think I'll pass on this app for those reasons and also because I don't trust Facebook not to put a picture of me on a video call with a can of Coke in my hand in an ad for Coke on their website.

Imagine if Facebook developed an algorithm to scan these video calls for products and then went to the manufacturers of those products and said, "We'll sell you advertising on our site that will include pictures of real people using your stuff!" Facebook has to monetize mobile, and maybe that's one way they could do it. Then, they wouldn't have to depend on users to "Like" things for them to show up in their friends' sponsored links section.

THIS IS NOT VIDEO CALL.. IT IS VOICE CALLING YOUR FACEBOOK FRIENDS. You people need to learn how to read...

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Here's to hoping that it pushes Apple to do what they were going to do anyways... that same thing of voice call of data. If iOS7 has it, I would pretty much all but need 100 minutes. Almost all the ppl I talk to on weekly basis have iPhones so voice calls via data would help me reach my goal. Please do apple, I don't want to have to use the fb but if ios7 doesn't have it... I might have to give it a shot.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
OMG SO AMAZING! Nope, AIM has had this since I started using it. And it works on everything. Why people use Skype, which leeches your bandwidth and isn't universally compatible, really amazes me; it's probably just the advertising.

I'd gladly use FaceBook for messaging if it had every feature AIM had and worked in iChat.

Slim02

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
OMG SO AMAZING! Nope, AIM has had this since I started using it. And it works on everything. Why people use Skype, which leeches your bandwidth and isn't universally compatible, really amazes me; it's probably just the advertising.

I'd gladly use FaceBook for messaging if it had every feature AIM had and worked in iChat.

Sorry but sending voice messages is not the same as CALLING.... So nope AIM is not the same as this App seeing you make PHONE CALLS to other FaceBook people just like how you call other people on Skype... AIM is just a instant massager just like how Yahoo that also does the same as AIM but before them. MSN also does it long with other Instant Messages..AIM not the first or the last.

Also this is a VOICE CALLING NOT VIDEO CHATTING...

Last edited:

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
so does this mean the end of the crappy pricing strategies? first it was minimal minutes, then they tried to overcharge on messages (cause it used SO SO much data) then they tried to limit facetime and data....

they will want to get their money somehow but does this mean we can just use an iPhone with only a data connection? they exist but it's hard to get on one.... i believe they exist for folks that aren't able to here..

Yeah, but how exactly do you expect cell companies to pay to maintain and build the bigger, better faster networks you demand?

Whether it's minutes or messaging or data, it costs money to keep those things running. When usage shifted from voice to messaging to data, those costs didn't go away...as a matter of fact they increased. So ultimately we have to pay a price to use the networks.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Yeah, but how exactly do you expect cell companies to pay to maintain and build the bigger, better faster networks you demand?

Whether it's minutes or messaging or data, it costs money to keep those things running. When usage shifted from voice to messaging to data, those costs didn't go away...as a matter of fact they increased. So ultimately we have to pay a price to use the networks.

They make a ridiculous amount of money, meaning they overcharge for services that doesn't cost them that much. And if there was true competition, they'd get off their asses and be able to provide better service for much less. Nice job sticking up for the little *cough* guys.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
This is definitely pretty cool. When I travel, i might start using this more than other apps that have the same functionality. Awesome :D

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Sorry but sending voice messages is not the same as CALLING.... So nope AIM is not the same as this App seeing you make PHONE CALLS to other FaceBook people just like how you call other people on Skype... AIM is just a instant massager just like how Yahoo that also does the same as AIM but before them. MSN also does it long with other Instant Messages..AIM not the first or the last.

Also this is a VOICE CALLING NOT VIDEO CHATTING...

So you're telling me... that audio chatting is not the same thing as "calling" someone? Can you point out the difference? This app doesn't call phone numbers, in case that's what you think it does.

But I would really like an instant massager.

----------

No one I know uses F-Book; everyone I know uses iOS devices.

Most people I know use iOS devices, two of them use FaceTime, and most people I know also use FaceBook. FaceBook is pretty stupid, but it's more useful than you might think: it works great for groups of various sorts.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Interesting.

More and more cell companies are rolling out unlimited voice. For example, AT&T's mobile share. But, those without it.. how cool!

And not just teenagers with iPod touches! I'm an adult and could see this feature being usable when you are in an area with Wi-Fi, but a very poor cell signal. I've been in that situation a couple times, one in particular at a relatives house out of state where I had NO signal, but their home had Wi-Fi. I ended up using one of those free texting apps to text people, since it texted over the internet (more than just iOS users). That and skype.

Just about everyone is on facebook. Getting people to use the app is the issue though, and facetime was always an option over Wi-Fi, but I could see this being usable!

As far as dethroning Skype.. I don't buy it. It takes just as much effort to download/update the latest app, on a smartphone, as it does to setup skype, even with making an account. Skype also has the advantage of an insane amount of compatible devices. TV's, set top boxes... handheld game systems! My grandmother has a 'dumb phone', so she's out of the facebook chat user group, but she has skype on her laptop and it's easy enough for her to use! That means I can call her over Wi-Fi with the skype app, but wouldn't be able to call her with the FB app...

I'm not sure what protocols are open or closed, but I'd love to see a single App that allows you to roll all of these services into one, similar to IM apps that allow you to use several IM service simultaneously.

-John

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
so does this mean the end of the crappy pricing strategies? first it was minimal minutes
Really? 450/mo is the lowest plan I can get, and I use maybe 30/mo. I've got something like 3000 rolled over and AT&T IIRC gave me 1000 last year for some reason.
then they tried to overcharge on messages (cause it used SO SO much data) then they tried to limit facetime and data....
Tried? They did/do.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
No one I know uses F-Book;

1B FB members and no one you know? How is that possible? :confused:

FaceBook is pretty stupid, but it's more useful than you might think: it works great for groups of various sorts.

It's more useful than just group stuff. I live in another country from my family and some friends, and FB is an easy way to keep in touch with them as if we lived closer than the 5,000 miles currently separating us. Also, I've got family I hadn't seen in years with whom I am better able to keep in contact on FB which is something quite special and wonderful, and not at all stupid as you say.

Slim02

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
So you're telling me... that audio chatting is not the same thing as "calling" someone? Can you point out the difference? This app doesn't call phone numbers, in case that's what you think it does.

But I would really like an instant massager.

When you call people on Skype you do not need a number. The only time you need a phone number is when you call outside of Skype.. But Skype to Skype you need no number to make calls.. Ok so you say some thing then send it and wait for replay just like you do for text.. Calling you both can talk at the same time (just like when you use a telephone in your house or cellar phone..) without any pules in the middle like texting...

AIM voice massager is just like Voxer Walkie-Talkie...

Description
AIM is evolving. We've redesigned our app from the ground up to give you the best way to keep in touch with people and groups. Start or join a group chat, share images, voice messages and your location, and continue conversations with your desktop and web clients seamlessly.

Features:
- Chat with a friend or group of friends with the new “Start a Chat” button
- Customize your groups with features like add/kick members, edit group icon and mute
- Favorite your friends and group chats for instant access
- Share photos, voice messages and your location without leaving the conversation
- Copy and paste messages
- Tap on location previews in your conversation to get directions
- Tap on icons to quickly view user details or group chat settings
- See your social notifications for activity on your AIM, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts
- Turn on “Do Not Disturb” to turn off sounds and push notifications
- Set quiet hours to mute sounds and push notifications for when you don’t want to be disturbed
- Change your incoming message sound in sound settings
- Connect to Facebook Chat and Google Talk in your chat networks settings

Message - a verbal, written, or recorded communication sent to or left for a recipient who cannot be contacted directly:

Calling - phone, telephone, get someone on the phone, give someone a call, give someone a ring, give someone a buzz. SOme one you can be contacted directly to...

Last edited:

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
Plus the fact that Skype holds a connection better than FaceTime does is pretty emberassing for Apple. My sister told me about it when she tried iPhone 5 to iPhone 5 with her friend, I thought it must have been a rare problem but then I tried with my iPhone 4S and the connection kept cutting out with an error message. Tried Skype right after, no error messages or black screens, the video might have been a bit choppy but it kept the connection at least.

This has not been my experience. I almost always get a better connection with FaceTime than with Skype. Of course neither are without their hiccups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.