Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Since it keeps coming up so much, I just wanted to throw up another picture of this gorgeous machine :D

Attachments

• IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 124

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
What do you think is the best PPC computer?

Consider design, portabilty, reliability and speed. I can't choose between the PowerBook G4 and the Power Mac G5.

The iMac G5 and iBook G3 both look cool, but they are both unreliable, for example.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

The powermac G5 is the fastest for sure.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
At this point in time, if you don't already have a G5 or specifically want one, I'd avoid getting one if only for the power consumption.

Only thing about the G5s is that they have a lot more power than other PowerPC Macs. They can handle some more modern stuff as well. Of course, trying to listen to anything with audio is futile- the fans drown out everything else.

As for reliability, they stink. Early air cooled models weer bad, especially the first Dual 2.0. Liquid Cooled ones were pretty awful as well; fortunately the one that I am typing at has a pristine LCS.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Design has to be:
G4 Cube
iMac G4
Aluminum PowerBook G4 (all sizes)

Usability:
PowerMac G5
FW800 MDD G4
Late 2005 PowerBook G4 with high resolution screen
PowerMac 9600 & 8600

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I haven't actually had the chance to extensively try out so many PPC macs in my time so far, I've used a Sawtooth, a Snow iMac G3, a PowerBook G4 and a Power Mac G5 (a dual processor version) and I absolutely got much more stuff done on the later models. If I had to go with just one of them I'd upgrade the GPU on the PMG5 and choose that.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
While I loved the MDD for its looks, its thermal design leaves much to be deserved.

jpcoelho

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Aveiro, Portugal
In my opinion, the best portable PPC is the 12' powerbook G4, considering both performance and design... I owned the original 867 MHz model (which died while being serviced), and did not rest until I recently got a 1.33 GHz model (unfortunately not the 1.5...)...

Regarding desktops, I will have to choose the Cube... it is simply the slickest, smartest, cleanest design ever for a personal computer! I agree that running stock it was underpowered, but owning a upgraded Cube running at 1.35 GHz, I have nothing to say about it but... Whow!!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I personally love any G4 Quicksilver towers due their expandability options, and processor upgrades available. They aren't as loud as the later mirror drive door models, and (IMO) look better.

I have one that is outfitted with a dual 1.5 GHZ G4 processor, USB 2.0 card, SATA card, and a Bluetooth / Wifi card. It still does so much of my daily computing, leaving my mini to do more of my Final Cut / Lightroom work.

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Obviously the most successful PowerPC systems are the current gaming consoles, Wii U (2012), PS3 (2006) and Xbox 360 (2005).

You can't really talk about the 'best' computer, although there are some Mac PPC models that I liked particularly, liked the beautiful iMac G4. In general however the Intel Macs are in every way better.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
My vote for design has to go to the PowerMac G4 Cube & the 12" PowerBook G4 - the Cube's passive cooling system & the fact there are so many upgrades you can ram into the thing is just outstanding, and something the Mini has never even come close to doing. And the PowerBook - IMO the best form factor a laptop could possibly have.

As for usability & overall ease in modern day use it has to be the PowerMac G5. The MDD's are great but the IDE hard drive interface (of course, you can use SATA with a PCI card) & the 2gb RAM limitation makes the G5 a much easier Mac to use in 2013. 4, 8, or 16gb RAM, and PCI-E GPU's in later revisions make the G5 unbelievably good value for money - as long as you can live with Leopard, of course.

A few other favourites of mine are the Titanium PowerBook G4 & the PowerMac G3 AIO. The TiBook really in my eyes led the way for laptop design for this decade just gone & the G3 AIO just has to be the best looking beige computer ever made :p

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Obviously the most successful PowerPC systems are the current gaming consoles, Wii U (2012), PS3 (2006) and Xbox 360 (2005).

You can't really talk about the 'best' computer, although there are some Mac PPC models that I liked particularly, liked the beautiful iMac G4. In general however the Intel Macs are in every way better.

This is very untrue everybody on this forum can give you a reason why intel macs are not better in every way. Yes they may be newer and more effiecent in some ways but in no form does newer mean better in every way.

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
This is very untrue everybody on this forum can give you a reason why intel macs are not better in every way. Yes they may be newer and more effiecent in some ways but in no form does newer mean better in every way.
For instance, in what way is a Mac mini G4 running Tiger or Leopard better than a Mac mini Intel running the same OS? There are a lot of similarities between the 2005 PPC and 2006 Intel models, but the latter are a lot faster and more flexible and compatible in every way.

I do admit, however, that Mac OS X has gone through a few negative evolutions since Lion. I really miss the scroll bar arrows, for starters... but on the hardware side, things have only improved.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I've been wanting a PowerMac G4. The main reason is this seemed to be the only one that really had all of Apple's envisioned way of connecting things.

ADC and Apple Pro Speaker minijack ran power through the media connector to eliminate wires. These are the only machines that I know of that came with both. I've been very tempted to buy one just to say that I've owned them but have never gotten around to it.

The iMac G4 is also pretty nice.

R-T-B

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Why, my G5 of course... Cause it's mine. :p

I kid, honestly I was always a fan of the look of the G5, but I personally like the Powerbook G4s quite a bit. I had an aluminum one loaned to me by my school and loved it to death.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
For instance, in what way is a Mac mini G4 running Tiger or Leopard better than a Mac mini Intel running the same OS? There are a lot of similarities between the 2005 PPC and 2006 Intel models, but the latter are a lot faster and more flexible and compatible in every way.

I do admit, however, that Mac OS X has gone through a few negative evolutions since Lion. I really miss the scroll bar arrows, for starters... but on the hardware side, things have only improved.

because most ppc are faster than early intel macs, how are they flexable the only reason they are more compatible are for the windows idiots who want to run an inferior os on there mac. If they wanna run windows for a professional business world buy a pc. Yeah its a luxury to some but its really not necessary. On the other hand yes mountain lion has become a mess, i enjoyed lion a little but ml ruined that.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
No titanium powerbook?
I love my TiBooks, and they really did set a new industry standard for laptop style and design. Heck, even the current lineup of MacBooks can trace their appearance back to the TiBook. I guess I skipped it because the AlBooks really took the design that much further and were MUCH sturdier and expanded into the different screen sizes. The TiBook is still high on the list though.

----------

because most ppc are faster than early intel macs, how are they flexable the only reason they are more compatible are for the windows idiots who want to run an inferior os on there mac. If they wanna run windows for a professional business world buy a pc. Yeah its a luxury to some but its really not necessary. On the other hand yes mountain lion has become a mess, i enjoyed lion a little but ml ruined that.
No, they were not. With the exception of the PowerMac G5, the Intel Core Duo versions of every Mac introduced in 2006 were MUCH faster than their G4 counterparts. Every Mac from the G5 iMac to the PowerBook G4 was made MUCH faster when they switched to the Core Duo. Don't get me wrong, I love my PPC machines, but when I got my original MacBook Pro 1.86 in May 2006, I couldn't believe how fast that thing was. The dual core chip really changed the game.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
No, they were not. With the exception of the PowerMac G5, the Intel Core Duo versions of every Mac introduced in 2006 were MUCH faster than their G4 counterparts. Every Mac from the G5 iMac to the PowerBook G4 was made MUCH faster when they switched to the Core Duo. Don't get me wrong, I love my PPC machines, but when I got my original MacBook Pro 1.86 in May 2006, I couldn't believe how fast that thing was. The dual core chip really changed the game.

At the time of the transition, they had fallen behind, but I think he means when they were first introduced. During the early years, the G4 blew away the Intel competition, but with only marginal improvements over four years and severe problems with ramping up the clock rate (this was when the GHz war was all the rage), x86 caught up and was able to exceed PPC.

Edit: I misread his post, you are right. @ppcfanforever1, by the time of the Intel switch, PPC was really behind the times. That transition and the early Core processors basically led to the paradigm shift away from GHz and toward "moar cores". Perhaps just as egregious, Macs suffered from badly outdated graphics, some using solutions 2+ years old, which was borderline insulting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.