Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Once again, unlimited data plan users get the shaft. Getting tired of being discriminated against.

Discriminated against?

I'm a grandfathered unlimited data customer too but come on, you've got to see their side of this. They don't want people to have unlimited plans anymore so of course they're not going to give us any perks. It's these kinds of things that are supposed to convince us to get a tiered plan.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Whatever AT&T. This isn't going to coerce anyone into reliquishing their unlimited plans. The day I give up my unlimited plan for FaceTime over LTE is the day I change to Verizon.

bmoorhouse

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Houston
AT&T only throttles the "Unlimited" users down to crap speeds (sub-2G).

So even if you haven't noticed being throttled doesn't mean others haven't been throttled down to crap speeds.

I have been throttled, and I definitely noticed. My post was to correct the person who said all grandfathered unlimited plan holders signed up under a 2G plan and therefore should be okay with being throttled back to that.

AT&T only throttles the "Unlimited" users down to crap speeds (sub-2G).In case you didn't notice, you have an "LTE device" - something AT&T said would get FaceTime support (regardless of "unlimited" data plan).

Actually that's not true. While it appears a few people in this category have somehow received the feature, grandfather plans even on the iPhone 5 were not authorized to use FT over cellular.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
152 responses so far and I'm guessing they all were written by disgruntled customers with an unlimited plan...make that 153

What's the logic here? As longer standing customers we get the shaft, again. One may argue that we, because we have unlimited data, can abuse the service more than others. Yet there's still a 5GB limit on my plan before it's throttled and the feature is rendered unusable.

RemE

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
So, I'm reading this thread, thinking "WTF??? It was announced LAST YEAR that FaceTime became unrestricted for all. No?" So, after I thought about it for a few minutes and conversed with a coworker, we decided that what we actually remembered was this (MR article that pointed to rumors that it would work with all plans/devices):

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/21/att-seems-to-be-extending-facetime-over-cellular-to-all-customers/

Within hours of that story being posted (a couple days before Thanksgiving), both of us tried it. (We both have iPhone 5 w/ legacy grandfathered Unlimited.)

It worked!

I also used FT over cellular during the holidays (T'giving & Christmas).

It worked!

Finally, to make sure I'm not totally losing my mind, I just tried it again.

(Guess what :: It works.)

So, obviously, YMMV. But I was under the impression that the restrictions for most device/plan combos were lifted long ago. My suggestion: try it. Now.

No joy here, In Settings>Facetime, scroll to bottom and try to select "Use Cellular Date" toggle and a screen immediately pops up wit "Facetime over Cellular requires an active Wi-Fi connection or eligible cellular data plan. To enable Facetime over cellular on this account, contact ATT on this account" basterds...

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
Since iOS6 release, AT&T is unnecessarily making a big issue about FT on Cellular. If they are worried about unlimited data plan users using just FT all the time(as if they have nothing better to do), AT&T can block the feature after 5GB. When they can throttle speed based on usage they can definitely block a feature.

I am on a 5GB tethering plan, and I used only one time FT on Cellular, since AT&T turned it on. Granted I was checking every day for 3 weeks once they announced just to see the feature is on.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Those of us with unlimited plans are still left out... Bummer.

No offense but... good. We don't want the network slowed down. ;)

----------

You mean the the people who scream the loudest.

True ^^

I know someone with unlimited 4G LTE on Verizon. I'm pretty sure Verizon considers him a burden, not a customer, with all of the streaming he does :D

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
How is them keeping me on unlimited data, which was part of my contract, a gift? I agreed to maintain service for x amount of time....and they agreed to provide me with x amount of services. If they pull unlimited, I should be able to walk free.

Once you get a new phone, you are nullifying your old contract and getting into a new one. If they wanted they could have all unlimited users pick a tiered/share plan in order to get a subsidized device.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
While what AT&T is doing, it's sustainable.

It isn't that AT&T can't afford to give everyone unlimited plans, and that unlimited data in itself is unsustainable as commonly reported. The problem is, with unlimited data, you don't need to spend money on minutes or texts anymore. Everything can be done over data, so if someone comes along in a race to the bottom, an unlimited data plan for $30 a month over a good network (just do everything on Skype) would make them obsolete.

The truth is, facetime and imessage mean that AT&T can't raise any new revenue on voice calls and text messages-even if people adopt Android and go with Skype solely. Thus, users must stop having unlimited data, to offer all customers the same plans (so no lawsuit forces any changes for anyone) and thus move to a model that raises enough per month per phone to pay the subsidy off and then pay AT&T a handsome profit.

The problem is, the carriers can't quite say that economically they're zombies. But the truth is, they're dead in the water without some serious restructuring, and unlimited data was one thing to go: Next will be subsidies (or they will be severely reigned in). The carriers will move into being expensive, anywhere ISPs at exorbitant rates.

Narg

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
Not working!

I've had an iPhone 5, as my wife has since they were introduced. We are on an LTE network and have grandfathered unlimited plans. The facetime still does not work for us yet. I think AT&T is just blowing smoke!

----------

Once you get a new phone, you are nullifying your old contract and getting into a new one. If they wanted they could have all unlimited users pick a tiered/share plan in order to get a subsidized device.

False, I'm on my 4th iPhone, the 5, and I still have my unlimited plan.

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
I think this is partially apple's fault. They created a mechanism that would allow a carrier to pick how an application can work. However the carriers have no control over any 3rd party apps. so apple is screwing themselves. That combined with the fact that I see a lot of android phones now means an iOS only video conferencing app is probably going to see a major decline in use so this is moot.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
I've had an iPhone 5, as my wife has since they were introduced. We are on an LTE network and have grandfathered unlimited plans. The facetime still does not work for us yet. I think AT&T is just blowing smoke!

----------

False, I'm on my 4th iPhone, the 5, and I still have my unlimited plan.

Yes, and AT&T is letting you keep your unlimited out of courtesy. They are not required to do so as you are renewing your contract and therefore subject to their current plan offerings, they do not have to offer you something they no longer offer NEW contracts. I have the unlimited plan too.

If AT&T wanted they probably could have all of us choose one of their new data plans once the new iphone comes out.

Chadder

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
Bozeman, Montana
No joy here, In Settings>Facetime, scroll to bottom and try to select "Use Cellular Date" toggle and a screen immediately pops up wit "Facetime over Cellular requires an active Wi-Fi connection or eligible cellular data plan. To enable Facetime over cellular on this account, contact ATT on this account" basterds...

Try restarting your iPhone. Thats what I initially did to get mine working. I believe that it resyncs the permissions from the cell tower when it does that.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
What a business approach this is. Basically a customer that walks into AT&T today can get facetime over cellular, but someone like myself who has been with the company for over 10 years, can't have it because I have an unlimited plan. Way to show how thankful they are for loyal customers.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
What a business approach this is. Basically a customer that walks into AT&T today can get facetime over cellular, but someone like myself who has been with the company for over 10 years, can't have it because I have an unlimited plan. Way to show how thankful they are for loyal customers.

I feel the same way . . . still I wouldn't give up my grandfathered unlimited plan for face time.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Whatever AT&T. This isn't going to coerce anyone into reliquishing their unlimited plans. The day I give up my unlimited plan for FaceTime over LTE is the day I change to Verizon.

Change... Just buy two phones so you can do data and voice at the same time. Also, prepare for a MUCH slower LTE and probably the worst customer service since the Big Bang. Have at it... :D

----------

Yes, and AT&T is letting you keep your unlimited out of courtesy. They are not required to do so as you are renewing your contract and therefore subject to their current plan offerings, they do not have to offer you something they no longer offer NEW contracts. I have the unlimited plan too.

If AT&T wanted they probably could have all of us choose one of their new data plans once the new iphone comes out.

FINALLY, someone who is rational and makes sense. You are EXACTLY right!!

----------

No offense but... good. We don't want the network slowed down:D

EXACTLY... Anyone on AT&T who still has unlimited, only has it because AT&T has been generous enough to continue to offer you that option. They are NOT required to, they do not offer it to others, and you are not under any contract to get it. AT&T has to look at their whole customer base and protect the network so it works for EVERYONE, not just the folks that want unlimited LTE bandwidth. IMO, AT&T has handled this masterfully and with great concern for all their customers, even the ones who still want the unlimited. If you want unlimited and are grandfathered in, you get it but you do not get LTE speeds after a certain number of Gbs. You are throttled so you still have access, but not 40Mbs.

Also, note that when these unlimited plans were purchased originally, they were speeds of around 700Kbs, not 40Mbs. HUGE difference and the whole cellular data world has changed since then.

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
Let me get this straight. Your most valued customers have been with you since the original iPhone, with an unlimited data plan. To make more money so your boss can get a new boat, you decide to work like hell to get those unlimited data customers, your most dedicated customers, to switch to a more expensive plan with less data. You would think that some of the execs must have taken Business 101, but apparently not.

My transition of all of my iPhones to T-Mobile starts this March. That gives you two months to get your collective heads out of your asses.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Well, lets clarify a little. Its like you cant have the 5 new HBO's on the old pricing plan. You need the new pricing plan. Fair enough and every company in this business does it.

My opinion is that AT&T should discontinue the unlimited plan or offer it with a new pricing structure. I doubt they will loose too many customers because the other options of Sprint (WAY SLOW), and Verizon (Aweful company and much slower LTE network) are not that great.

Doesn't the unlimited pay cost more then them limited plans...

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
As a pure capitalist, I understand what AT&T is doing. Doesn't mean I have to like it as a customer.

If AT&T doesn't want to support their unlimited customers anymore then STOP OFFERING GRANDFATHERED PLANS. It's that simple.

If they fear losing that customer then STOP RESTRICTING WHAT DATA THEY CAN USE.

I understand the 5gb cap for "unlimited". So if there is a soft cap to 5gb, then why restrict how I use it up to that cap?? It's nonsense.

It's like a grocery store saying I can't take home all the food I bought. Only what they deem I need for the timeframe they arbitrarily decide is best for me.

$4it, or get off the pot AT&T... Keep the unlimited plans and support your customer base or remove the grandfathered plans and make us choose a tiered plan (which I would likely just leave).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.