Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
This is not a great question for this group. All you're getting is a popularity contest based upon what each person chose for themselves. Their choice is always the very best choice (for them).

This is a question only you can decide (for you). How are you planning to use it? Mostly consumption or mostly production? Do you have big hands where the keyboard size difference might matter? Have you considered the weight of the Maxi vs. the weight of the Mini? Mini fits in suit pockets pretty readily; Maxi doesn't. Retina clarity vs. not Retina clarity? Etc.

I suggest writing down how you think you'll use either iPad. Prioritize your "how I'll use it" list. Then, go into an Apple store and play with each doing the kinds of things you think you'll be doing most. For example, if you want to type a lot, size of keyboard may matter. If you want to hold it in one hand and read a lot, weight may matter. And on and on.

Point: only you can decide which is best for you. Else you might as well post questions like: blonde, brunette or redhead? Chevy, Ford or Chrysler? OS X or Windows? chocolate, vanilla or strawberry? republicans or democrats? <your favorite sports team> vs. other sports teams? Etc. All popularity contest biases per whoever chooses to reply.

I chose one over the other by doing the above and am quite happy with my decision. For my own needs, the one I selected was not accompanied by buyer's remorse.

Lastly, if you go this way and buy one, you have 14 days to really get a feel for it in actual application. If you choose wrong, you have that much time to figure it out and make the switch to the other.

susa

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Canada
Love my mini for the so many reasons already mentioned all over the iPad forums. But a few observations that you may also wish to consider in your decision are: I find myself relying on a stylus almost always to navigate with the small tabs, etc, also have the mini locked in Landscape, and use Mercury browser a lot with which you can set larger fonts. I am petite, including my fingers, and eyesight is better than 20/20. Good luck and enjoy your new iPad!

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I've had the iPad 2 and 4 and now the Mini. IMO the Mini is the perfect size. Its light and fits easily in your hand and the display looks pretty good even though its not 1 of the Retina displays. I don't plan on going back to using a full sized 1, I have a laptop for anything I need more screen real estate. I don't game, but just running normal apps, reading and sitting on the couch its great.

Iamthinking

Suspended
Jul 31, 2010
Pocket sizes different in Canada?

Pocket sizes must be different up here in the great white north, 'cause my ipad mini fits in my inside jacket pockets just fine. Fits in my jeans back pocket also, although I don't carry it around much like that as its a bit uncomfortable. :)

Even with a case, the mini fits in my pocket, although a bit tighter squeeze.

Just not sure why so many people claim it doesn't fit. I even had a sale guy at radio shack try to tell me the mini doesn't fit in jackets at the same time as i was reaching in to my own pocket and digging out my mini.....talk about egg on the face!

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
To me the screen was too small. I have my iPhone 5 for when I'm on the go. At home surfing on the couch, bed etc. I love the 9.7 inch screen.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Pocket sizes must be different up here in the great white north, 'cause my ipad mini fits in my inside jacket pockets just fine. Fits in my jeans back pocket also, although I don't carry it around much like that as its a bit uncomfortable. :)

Just not sure why so many people claim it doesn't fit. I even had a sale guy at radio shack try to tell me the mini doesn't fit in jackets at the same time as i was reaching in to my own pocket and digging out my mini.....talk about egg on the face!

Y'all must have some big-ass pockets (pun intended) up there because my friend's Mini only just fits in my slacks front pocket. It would nbever fit in my jeans front or back pockets.

Jackets vary, for example it would fit in some of my jackets but not all of them, but even that is not a year round solution as its too hot to wear a jacket in the summer down here.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest

I'm also from the Northern side of the country and there is no way the Mini fits in my pockets........I could POSSIBLY shoe horn it into my inside jacket pocket, but there is absolutely no way I'd fit it in any pocket in jeans/slacks/khakis......maybe my Jnco jeans from back in HS :D

Iamthinking

Suspended
Jul 31, 2010
Y'all must have some big-ass pockets (pun intended) up there because my friend's Mini only just fits in my slacks front pocket. It would nbever fit in my jeans front or back pockets.

Jackets vary, for example it would fit in some of my jackets but not all of them, but even that is not a year round solution as its too hot to wear a jacket in the summer down here.

Ya, I guess my jeans must be big. To be clear, though, the mini doesn't fit "in" my jeans back pocket--- it definitely sticks out the top. But on occasion I'll stick in back there if I'm not going far (i.e. from one room to another).

As for coats; ya, I guess we have an "advantage" there too, since there's only a few months out of the year that one isn't wearing some sort of jacket. :)

I have only had the opportunity to put my mini in my winter coats (i.e. leather jacket with heavy lining, down jacket, etc.) so it may be a different story when I get to my "spring/summer" wear! I'll post back when we thaw out!

-Iamthinking

ougum

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
There are lots of people who currently or previously owned a full sized iPad, me being one of them, and I think the mini is the most perfect size for my needs.

I just returned the 4 and got the mini. I also used to own a 3. After handling a mini, it's just to hard to return to a full sized pad.

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
i personally think its a bit too small. and the resolution is too low as well

i got 4.5" phone, so getting an ipad almost same size, would be kinda silly

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
If I were deciding between the iPad 2 and the Mini, I would go with the Mini. It's a great size and is very light. I wouldn't want the iPad 2's screen size without retina.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
My mini fits in my back jeans pocket without a problem, including the smart cover. It sticks up a bit, and I wouldn't carry it there for extended periods of time (sit just once and bye bye), but when you need to carry several things, it's convenient. I didn't think it would fit in my front jeans pocket, but to my surprise, it does, though only when standing. If I were to sit with it in the front pocket, I'd be putting major strain on it (plus it'd be rather uncomfortable).

My main jacket easily fits it, but it has a very large pouch like pocket on the inside.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
i personally think its a bit too small. and the resolution is too low as well

i got 4.5" phone, so getting an ipad almost same size, would be kinda silly
4.5" is not even remotely close to 7.9". I have both as well, huge difference...

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
It only seems too small when your looking at it. When your using it it doesn't seem that small. The screen isn't that much less of the bigger iPad. But when I look at it when I'm not using it and hold it in my hand I'm like dam this thing is small, or compare it to the bigger iPad side by side I'm like wtf it's so small. But the bigger iPad had a hella lot more bezel. You have to use it to understand.

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
just from the feel of the mini, i would go that route. Unless you absolutely are picky about resolution and need retina. I feel that sometimes the regular ipad has too much bezel while the mini seems abit more focused on screen.

I would go mini, but thats just my tastes.

ManUMark

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
iPad mini is only 'better' if you carry it around alot. It is too expensive for what it is and wait for the next gen if poss.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Size wise, better than the 7" competition.

It's essentially an 8" screen so without actually handling it, it seems like a sweet spot for something smaller than the normal iPad.

I don't think its better, its just different. I know.

Owning an iPad mini, I really like the screen size ratio. Yet I also own a Nexus 7, which at approximately 1/2" narrower is both easier & far more comfortable to hold one handed.

Ergonomics plays a huge role. Its all about ones personal preferences. Both of these are quite nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.