Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avillabon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
I have the new ipad 4 and was wondering what software to use on windows to convert avi and mkv video files that will keep video quality and not increase file size greatly.

Thanks

Alex

Last edited:

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I used Handbrake (and VLC) to transcode over 300 movie files in various formats like AVI, MKV and WMV. There are presets to make it easier to choose the right format to output. Simply choose the "Apple TV 3" option.

The same software can be used if you wish to rip your DVD collection into iTunes. I've got a whole system down, so if you want specific details feel free to message me.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
I have the new ipad 4 and was wondering what software to use on windows to convert avi and mkv video files that will keep video quality and not increase file size greatly.

Thanks

Alex

don't convert, just use cineplayer, av player hd, etc.

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
Does anyone know if after video conversion,is it possible to transfer videos directly from the ipad card reader without itunes?

I am thinking of buying the card reader.

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
I use a couple different programs. I will use MakeMKV to transfer the dvd to my computer, then a program called Xmedia ReCode. By using Xmedia Recode if the video file is .264 there's a checkbox you can check called video copy that doesn't require a complete re encode it just changes the file type to m4v. Then I use MetaX to search for and add all the meta data. Then I import into iTunes.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
i use those but MKV's are still choppy, and when i convert MKV into the ipad 3's format, it loses a lot of quality. Anyway to keep its quality?

Shouldn't be choppy, mkv's play just fine with AVPlayerHD on both my mini and 3.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
You don't need to convert MKV files, you just need to move them into a compatible container, so my suggestion is usually Subler. It's significantly faster because it's not recoding anything, simply de/remuxing into a MP4 file.

kyomagi

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2010
You don't need to convert MKV files, you just need to move them into a compatible container, so my suggestion is usually Subler. It's significantly faster because it's not recoding anything, simply de/remuxing into a MP4 file.

bahh i dont have a mac

Last edited:

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
If you know what you're doing, you should use MediaCoder. Proven to be the fastest converter out there. And it's open-source. And it's amazing.

avillabon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Sorry, that's twice I've done that (see other MKV related thread) :D

That other time I did a little research and found this:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XMedia-Recode

It's just like Subler, has good reviews, and it's just a Muxer vs. having to re-encode. :)

thanks for your replies and help.

I figure i must be doing something wrong. When using a 40 min video it takes about 20 mins so i guess im converting and not "muxing".. Any tips?

Thanks

Alex

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
thanks for your replies and help.

I figure i must be doing something wrong. When using a 40 min video it takes about 20 mins so i guess im converting and not "muxing".. Any tips?

Thanks

Alex

Yeah, sounds like it, that can be very processing intensive.

An MKV file is a container, that is, it's almost like a folder. In that folder you've got a video file, an audio (possibly more than one), and other files for things like subtitles.

The video is [generally] H.264 which an iPad can play back, but it can't recognize the video in the MKV file, so you need to write it into a file that an iPad/iTunes can understand. The video stream itself doesn't need to have a different CODEC, or a different resolution.

So these apps like Subler, just read and write the audio and video streams into a new file with the correct headers, etc. That's why it's quick, it's mostly just a file IO operation, not complex frame-by-frame analysis.

Subler is super easy, open, modify meta-data, add to queue, done. I'll have to check out that app I recommended, since I haven't run it myself, just did a little research on it. It should be pretty quick since as I explained above, it's not too processor intensive, it's more like a giant IO operation on a big GB file.

ManUMark

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOlJfwgT-70

Having just lost all my desktop after the W7 upgrade i now have to get all these programs reinstalled. The W7 comes with Movie maker and although it has a ''save file to iPad'' tab this seems not to work. Handbrake (tutorial above) is good and should do the job. Look for vids on how to transfer via drop and drag the file.

ManUMark

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
Uncheck the box that allows iTunes to automatically sync your movies and videos to prevent it from syncing your iPod every time it's connected. This will allow you to manually manage what you add or delete from your iPod.

Click "Movies" in your library in the top sidebar of the iTunes window.

Click on the movie you wish you add to your iPad, then drag it over to the window.

Drop the file on to your iPad to successfully add it to the device.

Read more: How to Add Movies to an iPod Without Syncing | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5318782_add-movies-ipod-syncing.html#ixzz2IFrI6Dbz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.