Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
For all those people wondering about this... I recommend doing some of your own digging to understand what is going on. 90% of programs do leave files behind. Want to see them? After you deleted the app and emptied your trash open a terminal and run:

cd /
sudo du -ah | grep <program name>

Substitute the <program name> for a part of the name of the program you are deleting. All this is doing is listing all the files that match that string.

Example, if I delete a program called "bookclub", I'd probably run 'sudo du -ah | grep bookclub.

Most of the time you'll find a handful of very small files. Nothing to be concerned about.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
For all those people wondering about this... I recommend doing some of your own digging to understand what is going on. 90% of programs do leave files behind. Want to see them? After you deleted the app and emptied your trash open a terminal and run:

cd /
sudo du -ah | grep <program name>

Substitute the <program name> for a part of the name of the program you are deleting. All this is doing is listing all the files that match that string.

Example, if I delete a program called "bookclub", I'd probably run 'sudo du -ah | grep bookclub.

Most of the time you'll find a handful of very small files. Nothing to be concerned about.

What does du do? and -ah?

And that command don't do anything for me, example I have GeekTool installed and when I type:

sudo du -ah | grep GeekTool

NOTHING happens and nothing shows up.

And doesn't using this following method include 100% ALL FILES?

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/11171082/

clatham

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
Don't Do it....

I installed CleanMyMac2. It did it's job. Now after 2 days of support from Apple, I am having to reformat my entire HD and I lost everything. CleanMyMac will go in and delete system preferences, DNS setting and a host of valuable items making your Mac inoperable. I called CleanMyMac for support first. i got a guy from Cambodia, he knew nothing. Emails CleanMyMac with a promise of support. Nothing. I lost it all. I even paid for this program. Not even going to try to get my money back, I am sure that would fall on deaf ears too.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
I have heard bad things about that app. It wipes out your entire drive. I am skeptical because of the amount of times you see it advertised on pop up windows...

Bosox3

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Ive used Cleanmymac for yrs now..never had a problem. People that screw things up when using must not know what they are doing.

Reactions: pallavi jain

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ive used Cleanmymac for yrs now..never had a problem. People that screw things up when using must not know what they are doing.
As stated earlier, while you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to warn users, especially since the app is unnecessary at best.

Reactions: pallavi jain
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.