Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
How about you stop acting like having a smart phone is a right rather than a privilege

----------

Who says they don't. Just because they can't spend $1000 at the drop of a hat doesn't equal them being immorally underpaid etc

They have to take into account the local economy when determining the pricing of a product, while still allowing it to maintain value. Pricing can only be different by a couple dollars at most when pricing an item from country to country, to prevent "I am going to go to China to buy an iPhone for $100"

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Next time you hear somebody say China is 3rd world and full of poor people, slap them with an 800 iphone and show them how much of the U.S. China actually owns. (let alone Dubai) Soon we're going to be eating rice and making faux products to keep up with the world economy.
Just because the government is rich and there is a growing upper class doesn't mean that people there are not dirt poor.

When up visit china it is apparent that there is a huge disparity in demographics.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Cost of living in China is still lower than in Europe of the United States. The iPhone is an import and will remain expensive... just like how European imports are expensive in North America or vice versa.

The cost of living is low in many places around the world. However, the wages are also much lower in many places around the world.

How about you stop acting like having a smart phone is a right rather than a privilege

When did I say it was a right to own a luxury item such as an iPhone?

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Just two simple facts -

"A promotion that lasts through January 23 makes payment plans lasting a year or less interest free."

"Apple will announce its earnings for the first fiscal quarter (fourth calendar quarter) of 2013 on Wednesday, January 23.

Interest free payment plans in one of the biggest Apple markets lasts only through the day when earnings will be announced... Hmm... Looks someone has very big problems with the sales and the figures needs to be improved right now.

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Junior level workers make 1500 yuan (248 dollars) ( 186 EUR ) a month WITH mandatory over-time. Average rent in Shanghai/Beijing is 2000-3000 yuan per month for a small apartment not to mention cost of basic living essentials like hygiene products and food.

Average rent in Manhattan is $3,000/month for a studio.

junior level workers in the U.S. can't afford that either...

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
In the Foxconn factories where Apple's mobile devices are assembled, junior level workers make approximately 1,800 yuan per month, which means the iPad and the iPhone are nearly unattainable without an installment option
Um, the only difference between saving the right amount until you have the total to purchase, and buying on credit is that the credit costs more. So "unattainable" applies to both.

ryuok

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Hong Kong
China has a middle class of ~300,000,000 people ... and probably a couple million super rich. The size of the luxury market is growing like crazy in China, so Apple is just trying to get a piece of it.

Your number is meaningless. How do you define middle class? I think mostly China's self-defined "middle class" is in fact poorer than the working class of the US. A person who makes US$500 a month would be considered middle-class in China, i.e. poor people by western standard.

In Hong Kong, a person has to own a property valued at US$1 million and an income of US $5000 to be an entry-level middle class. A typical middle-class person in Hong Kong owns a US$3 million property, a luxury car valued at US$200,000 (incl. 115% tax) and a monthly income of US$20,000.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
A typical middle-class person in Hong Kong owns a US$3 million property, a luxury car valued at US$200,000 (incl. 115% tax) and a monthly income of US$20,000.

Are you serious? I don't know where you got your numbers from, but the middle class in Hong Kong only makes 10,000HKD - 25,000HKD a month (household).

Only 3% of Hong Kong's household makes more than 100,000HKD... or 12500.00USD a month...

http://www.gov.hk/en/about/abouthk/factsheets/docs/population.pdf

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Just two simple facts -

"A promotion that lasts through January 23 makes payment plans lasting a year or less interest free."

"Apple will announce its earnings for the first fiscal quarter (fourth calendar quarter) of 2013 on Wednesday, January 23.

Interest free payment plans in one of the biggest Apple markets lasts only through the day when earnings will be announced... Hmm... Looks someone has very big problems with the sales and the figures needs to be improved right now.

No need for the conspiracy theory as the quarter being reported on the 23rd is between October 1 through December 31. Sales from January 1 through January 23 will count in the quarter of January 1 through March 31.

I suggest you get your simple facts right next time.

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
No need for the conspiracy theory as the quarter being reported on the 23rd is between October 1 through December 31. Sales from January 1 through January 23 will count in the quarter of January 1 through March 31.

I suggest you get your simple facts right next time.

Almost every time during earning calls Apple also gives some information about current business (especially, if the things in the last quarter looks bad).

Some remarks about great success on one of the biggest markets (based in reality on interest free loans) could help keep Apple shares from crash.

No conspiracy, just pure and simple facts. Keep too much Apple shares? My deepest condolences.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Almost every time during earning calls Apple also gives some information about current business (especially, if the things in the last quarter looks bad).

Some remarks about great success on one of the biggest markets (based in reality on interest free loans) could help keep Apple shares from crash.

No conspiracy, just pure and simple facts. Keep too much Apple shares? My deepest condolences.

I really want to vomit from your latest reply.

First of all, EVERY public company that reports financials issues a guidance for the next quarter including Apple.

Secondly, I highly doubt that offering the Chinese market a payment plan in the first 23 days of the quarter will impact the quarter in a significant way.

Lastly, claiming that Apple reporting financials and this promotion going hand-in-hand is rather conspiratorial and not "just pure and simple facts", as you state.

I suggest that you stop looking for patterns in the tea leaves and take off the tin foil hat from time to time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.