Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
They should integrate it in the regular facebook app. Or better yet, into the iOS dialer just like FaceTime.

Thats possible on android. Unfortunately apple provides no way for developers to integrate that functionality on iOS.

selva

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2011
Oh great! Now Facebook users will be bombarded with ads not just based on their entries into their web page but now also on what ever they are chatting about on the phone! No thanks. I'll take Facetime any day.

Last edited:

4kk2kk

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
No one in their right mind

cares about facebook, let alone voice calls within facebook.

Please...stop the empty articles.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Why not just use FaceTime?

What happens when you want to voice call your friends on Android, or WP? what if you don't want to use video?

----------

cares about facebook, let alone voice calls within facebook.

Please...stop the empty articles.

It would appear 850 million active users care about Facebook, but I guess I'm " not in the right mind" be cause I use Facebook to stay in touch with friends who've scattered across the country, and family members who've moved around the World.

rctophobbys

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013

what if you don't want to use video? I have ever known something about http://www.rctophoby.com, the control system in it.

----------

and what if you want to hear the voice of your friends? I know somethign similar in rctophobby.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Wow, this is huge. inb4 cell phone companies block this capability.
I hope this will be a much more controversial idea than blocking Skype or Viber, because "everyone" is on Facebook. These services shouldn't be blocked as they're the inevitable future.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Why not just use FaceTime?

Because most people have PC

Also in a recent survey 87% of people with an OS device didn't know about Facetime and 76% didn't realise that their phone, ipad had a forward facing camera. Facetime isn't used as no one really wants it, hence why AT&T have let everyone use it as they know it will have no impact to their data services.

Last edited:

ds2000

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
Skype still reigns supreme for me. Girlfriend is in Nairobi for 6 months and Skype is yet to let us down :)

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
That includes company accounts, duplicate accounts, fake accounts etc. Excluding those, its clearly less than 10% of the worlds population. Also, that is centred in certain countries, and has much lower representation in other countries. Its entirely possible, depending on where the poster is from. I only know a few people who use facebook - and I am not one of them.

And yet *you* admit you know someone that uses Facebook, as did the person to whom I had posted something that was slightly less than serious.

[No one in their right mind] cares about facebook, let alone voice calls within facebook.

I love how people draw two big circles in life where everybody resides, label one for idiots/morons/fools/etc. and never place themselves in it, but are always happy to put everyone else in it.

Last edited:

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Plus the fact that Skype holds a connection better than FaceTime does is pretty emberassing for Apple.

It does? My experience has been the exact opposite: FaceTime has been much more reliable than Skype. Then again, most of my calls are from Japan to the United States. I rarely use Skype (or FaceTime) domestically.

And lately, I've been using Line more than anything. The voice quality is superb.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

Also in a recent survey 87% of people with an OS device didn't know about Facetime and 76% didn't realise that their phone, ipad had a forward facing camera. Facetime isn't used as no one really wants it, hence why AT&T have let everyone use it as they know it will have no impact to their data services.

You contradict yourself... is it that they don't know it's there or the camera is there or is it that "no one really wants it"? Which argument it is?

For the record, I use Facetime to video chat. Not perfect but works fine 99% of the time.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Many seem to be confusing FB voice calling with FaceTime or Skype video chatting.

The feature is especially critical for people with bad cell service at work or at home, and for those who want to conserve cell phone minutes.

…and for some people with non-cellular wifi devices (e.g. iPod, iPad)?

Could this be what led to the rumor that Facebook was developing a cellphone?

Last edited:

Chlloret

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
The conclusion that this app gives voice/video chat possibillities to the "more then one billion" facebook members is really far fetched.

First of all, I do not believe, that there are actually that many people on facebook. Accounts, yes, but people? We run and maintain alone for our products and apps 140 individual FB accounts, there are 20 guys and girls working here, 2 have a personal facebook account. I know companies that run thousends of accounts. Hardly of any interest to the individual.

Secondly, this app allows only access or calls to other iOS users and they need to have the app installed and running. That narrows it down quite a bit I think. Also, they have to have US accounts, taking out 80% of all accounts.

So, this feature runs directly against facetime, preinstalled on all iOS devices and always working, iMessage, preinstalled and always working. How many iPhones have the facebook app installed?

Having skype (on 88% of all iOS devices) text, calls and video chat is availabe over any platform not restricted to iOS AND it works to POTS.

What is the killer feature with this app? That its from facebook?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

where did you get that ridiculous stat? You are saying only about 1 out of every 10 people who own an iphone know about facetime and 2/10 don't know they have a camera on the front?. I find that pretty hard to believe....do only 3/10 know that it makes phone calls?

PJMAN2952

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
Let the waiting game begin! First I have to wait for Temple Run 2 and now this for Android. Just great.

Chlloret

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
10 bucks says this service will be closed down by end of 2014 due to rising evidence of monitoring & data selling to third parties

Hear hear. Also, "you did not tick the exclusion box" might mean, that all of your 3287 "friends" hear your conversation with somebody. Cool.
Such fun.....

Chlloret

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
What happens when you want to voice call your friends on Android, or WP? what if you don't want to use video?

----------

It would appear 850 million active users care about Facebook, but I guess I'm " not in the right mind" be cause I use Facebook to stay in touch with friends who've scattered across the country, and family members who've moved around the World.

If you want to voice call someone on Android or WP, this app would not help you, as it is iOS exclusive, just like facetime, that was the question.
And no, there are NEVER 850 Million USERS online. Even Facebook mentions "accounts" never users. Big difference. Everyone and his dog got a facebook account, every TV caracter (not the actor), every company, every product of every company and so on. Heck, the few people I know that have real facebook accounts, also run a dozen fake ones. Even if its just to "like" each other, change sex, or simply for the hell of it.

Actual USERS are far and few in between and usually in the 12-28 age range. Usage declines drastically with age. Also, once you get to the point, that you work and have a life, you simply dial the number and call the person you want to talk to. Something in the age of flatrates, that becomes the easiest solution. With other words, you phone someone with your cell phone. No apps to install, no worry, is the person online, is the app running, is it blocked by my data plan ect. Just dial the number and talk. Easy.

arlswifty

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
who uses the phone?

Who cares, seriously who runs out of minutes. It is not the phone time that matters, it is the data time. I have enough rollover minutes to talk all day for the rest of the year and still have time left.

RabbitLuvr

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Kansas City
I don't understand why I would use this instead of just making a voice call with my phone plan?

Data is more expensive than voice calls. The last thing I need is something else eating up my data plan.

Anyway, I took my phone number off my FB account years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.