Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Babelsgp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
I have a 1.66 mini for my 4 year old daughter, which has 2G RAM. Due to all the upgrades for java, she really needs an upgrade and I think it may be cheaper to get it accomplished if I upgrade rather than purchase a new mini.

1st question: used tested CPU? wise or unwise? eBay has a few used, I've never bought one used...
2nd question: 2.0Ghz or the 2.3, the price difference seems to be about $70

It is the socket M, mobile Intel chipset, duo core, either T7200 or the T7600, correct? I also think upgrading to the 4G would also be wise.

In college I built a couple of PCs, how much does the mini's upgrade differ from throwing a CPU into a full sized machine?

What is a good heatsink compound?

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
It's delicate but there are so many guides online that anyone can do it. Just make sure you have all the specific tools in advance. You dont want to run out to get a smaller screwdriver and leave a bunch of tiny screws out.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I have a 1.66 mini for my 4 year old daughter, which has 2G RAM. Due to all the upgrades for java, she really needs an upgrade and I think it may be cheaper to get it accomplished if I upgrade rather than purchase a new mini.

1st question: used tested CPU? wise or unwise? eBay has a few used, I've never bought one used...
2nd question: 2.0Ghz or the 2.3, the price difference seems to be about $70

It is the socket M, mobile Intel chipset, duo core, either T7200 or the T7600, correct? I also think upgrading to the 4G would also be wise.

In college I built a couple of PCs, how much does the mini's upgrade differ from throwing a CPU into a full sized machine?

What is a good heatsink compound?

Rather than upgrading the existing hardware or buying brand new hardware, why don't you sell what you have there and buy, say, a 2010 or a low-end 2011 Mac mini? They're going for pretty cheap nowadays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.