Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justinLONG

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011

photo 1

i started to shoot with a nikon fg-20 and 50mm lens in the spring semester of high school... 1999, same time this was taken. did the processing my self in photo class. the one shot i didn't expect to be... was. i miss film.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'd have to go back to my childhood when I had some kind of Instamatic 110 camera to find stuff when I first started shooting. My first real camera was a Canon EOS Elan IIe film camera in 1996 and I'd have to dig out some negatives to scan for that, so I'll enter something shot with my first DSLR.

I got my first DLSR (a T1i with kit lens) on Jan 5th 2010 at lunch... this was my first non test shot with it. I took it and my tripod down the street from my office and snapped this photo after work that day (5:07 PM)...

p597511649-4.jpg

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
This was taken soon after I got my first "serious"digital camera, a Minolta DiMage 7i back in 2006. Well I thought it was serious. I've always liked it just because it was the first shot I took where I really felt it was a photograph and not just a snapshot.

p910911875-5.jpg

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2003
So I should've had everyone post their best early and best recent.

Hankster: Very nice colors and love the depth of field, especially since it is solid green. This was framed well and love the textures.

gaswerks: That 50mm is a powerful inexpensive lens. I agree that the lighting is great. Nice warm natural colors.

deep diver: Nice texture. It sorta looks like leaves frozen in ice with blue water under. Nice mixture of colors and textures.

electronique: Nice playing with the dof. My eyes get drawn to the bush on the left but you got the toy is in focus.

ijohn.8.80: Man if this is one of your first HDR shots, you did an awesome job at it. I love the framing, the books in the background, the way the library is designed, that the library looks empty and obviously the lighting.

andalusia: Nice tones and depth of field. I like how the lighting stops in the bottom left of the guitar and completely darkens the background.

fitshaced: The dark colors really help bring out the water. I know things like the branch and bushes are hard to control. I like the water splashing on the rock in the background.

sim667: Man that is a bummer if he did. Nice film choice since black and white makes this picture. I wish you could see more of his face but I know you had to shoot this while being subtle.

fireman32: Shooting flowers always seems to give you nice colors and a nice depth of field. I like the maroon mixed with the white edges and how they all wrap into each other.

NZed: Putting the park bench in the foreground provides nice depth. I like that there is someone actually sitting on the bench. Very soothing and relaxing photo. I always enjoy just sitting and looking at the water and mountains while out west. I might do a bit different of a crop.

Melizard: When starting out, using auto is sometimes the best option. Its easy to get burned out because you don't know what settings to choose sometimes. Very nice greens in the background but there is a very slight circle in the center of the picture that catches my eyes.

milbournosphere: Spider webs provide great lining and textures. Nice use of lines and love how its hanging. I wish you were cropped in more to just show the spider web.

genshi: I was hoping for more of these! This is an awesome portrait just to keep for memory sake. My original idea was to show something like this then show something very recent to show how much you progressed. I just love the old feeling of this photo.

byamada: I like all of the different colors and really like the center of the lily with all the red and yellow. I like the black to kinda create some negative space.

AlexH: Nice DOF and detail of the cords. Sorry just don't have much to say about this.

butch10x: It took me a few looks to figure out what this was exactly. I like the mixture of different colors and that they all flow together. The background provides a nice additional color to compliment the flower colors.

pakyooh: I love the dark liquid in the flower with how white the flower is. Nice post processing choices to give a bit of a different color tone.

Badrottie: Nice picture of the bird and shadow over a portion of its body.

Chappers: I hate bees. Terrific detail of the bee, the dark background helps bring him out of the background and the white flowers have provide contrast.

Neur0genesis: Great photo...just with foreground with the trees, the clouds covering part of the landscape and the sky / sun just all blend well together and make a relaxing photo.

SLC Flyfishing: Kinda a scary / creepy photo. I assume this is from a museum but the arm just reaching out makes the sculpture. It is screaming help.

pmxperience: I always liked these style of buildings. I love the nice red bridge and how bright the gold is on the building.

justinLONG: I like how the lighting falls across his face. Its awesome just to see photos and just know it was shot with film. Yours and Genshi were perfect examples of this.

JDDavis: I agree this is a nice photo. The nice bright orange butterfly pops out of the background. I like the framing and how the flowers in the background are noticeable but aren't really distracting at all.

DirtySocks85: Nice broken down type of look. Messed up bike, sorta looks like an alley and how the back tire rim looks like it is attached at first then I realized it is sitting across the bike.

VirtualRain: Nice blue skies with the subtle slow shutter at the bottom

Puckman1: Looks like a very relaxing place to live. The mountains, houses and water make it look scenic but sorta like a neighborhood. I wish the stick was not in the front.

acearchie: Great learning experience! Terrific photo. You captured the car very nice. I've faked a couple photos like these that were shot in mid day but its not the same as what you got.

GT41:Nice using the leaves and braches as framing. While I don't have much to say about it, I do like it. I bet it would be crazy to live up there...sorta looks like it is either a mansion or a museum.

3rd Place: acearchie
2nd Place: ijohn.8.80
1st Place: genshi

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
DirtySocks85: Nice broken down type of look. Messed up bike, sorta looks like an alley and how the back tire rim looks like it is attached at first then I realized it is sitting across the bike.

As embarrassing as it is to admit, I did too at the time that I took the photo. It wasn't until i got home and was going through the day's shots that I noticed it. Luckily, I think that it turned out for the better that way. Adds an extra element of depth and really makes you look twice. I ordered some prints from Mpix the other day and they just came in the mail today. This shot was one of them. It's even better to hold as a print.

And you're right, this was taken in an alley. When I decided to go back a couple of days later to take another crack at the subject, the bike was gone.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
ijohn.8.80: Man if this is one of your first HDR shots, you did an awesome job at it. I love the framing, the books in the background, the way the library is designed, that the library looks empty and obviously the lighting.

I'm revisiting this shot over the next few weeks, with a new camera and lens. Will be interesting to see how much more I can squeeze in with the 11-16mm vs the 18mm of the kit lens and to see a difference of quality of image.

Thus far I've only taken three shots that I've composited in Photomatix Pro. This one twice, so I guess that's four! ;)

Well done everyone, I'm constantly surprised by the quality of folks early shots using DSLR's!

genshi, you look like you just stepped out of an early INXS photo-shoot! Great selfie. acearchie, that is an amazing capture, it took me ages to get my first good panning shot.

genshi

macrumors 6502a
Wow, didn't expect to win as there were so many great photos, but I do appreciate the comments and the win (as embarrassing as my photo was, but hey, it was the 80s!)

I'll have the new contest up later today, so stay tuned... and great work everybody, there is a lot of talent on these forums!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.