Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Since last update ( 64 Bit BETA) I seem to have lost ATC. I can file a flight plan, but can't request takeoff clearance or communicate with them at all....Anybody else notice this? Radios are set right, and just to check I did a fully AI flight from LISP to KLGA, ATC was there all right when AI was running the show.:confused:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Well I thought I'd update the thread as I now have my new iMac up and running. I'm not normally an excitable guy, but I have to tell you, the sim runs SO well with the new one I'm having to think way ahead...as it should be.

Max settings on just about everything and the Mac doesn't even generate much heat ( the old one did) the specs on the newbie:

3.4GHZ CPU
32GB RAM
2GB Nvidia Geoforce GTX 680M

I think it's the graphics card and the fusion drive that make the difference...I was expecting better performance, but not the leap ahead that I got. Still having ATC issues though.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Hey guys, anyone know if there is an actual list of supported flight-sticks for the MacOSX version of X-Plane 10?

Their website gives really useless information about supported joysticks. They only mention that CH Products joysticks are compatible.... but that's not really saying much.

I mean... I hear this game has faithfully been a Mac game since the Stone Ages, and continues to be a Mac-developed game. This leads me to believe that there HAS to be some list of MacOSX-compatible flightsticks (most likely as tested by the thousands of Mac X-Plane gamers over the years).

rsba1

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Michigan
Well I thought I'd update the thread as I now have my new iMac up and running. I'm not normally an excitable guy, but I have to tell you, the sim runs SO well with the new one I'm having to think way ahead...as it should be.

Max settings on just about everything and the Mac doesn't even generate much heat ( the old one did) the specs on the newbie:

3.4GHZ CPU
32GB RAM
2GB Nvidia Geoforce GTX 680M

I think it's the graphics card and the fusion drive that make the difference...I was expecting better performance, but not the leap ahead that I got. Still having ATC issues though.

I have the same iMac as you but with only 8 GB ram. I run XP10 and XP9. Both can bring my iMac down to a crawl if at the wrong airport--- Seattle, LAX, LAS with things maxed out. It does run XP9 pretty much maxed out with ease, but with the right plane and scenery loaded, things can get choppy. XP10 is o.k. if not flying in these high content areas. Hopefully when the 64 bit version gets finalized things will be better. Maybe I need to upgrade to more ram?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I have the same iMac as you but with only 8 GB ram. I run XP10 and XP9. Both can bring my iMac down to a crawl if at the wrong airport--- Seattle, LAX, LAS with things maxed out. It does run XP9 pretty much maxed out with ease, but with the right plane and scenery loaded, things can get choppy. XP10 is o.k. if not flying in these high content areas. Hopefully when the 64 bit version gets finalized things will be better. Maybe I need to upgrade to more ram?

I'm using the 64BIT BETA version....I recommend it...ATC is buggy, but it runs WAY better than the 32 bit version ever did. You could add more RAM, X-Plane will use all you can afford and more.:)

----------

Hey guys, anyone know if there is an actual list of supported flight-sticks for the MacOSX version of X-Plane 10?

Their website gives really useless information about supported joysticks. They only mention that CH Products joysticks are compatible.... but that's not really saying much.

I mean... I hear this game has faithfully been a Mac game since the Stone Ages, and continues to be a Mac-developed game. This leads me to believe that there HAS to be some list of MacOSX-compatible flightsticks (most likely as tested by the thousands of Mac X-Plane gamers over the years).

I use the CH control yoke which works well under OSX...They all seem to be supplied with Windows software which is useless, Pretty much all will work to some extent or other...Avoid the Saitek...It's a nice yoke, but apparently only half the buttons work in ML.

in2tech

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
Downloaded the newest version of X-Plane Regional United States 64 bit yesterday. Is that the Gold Master? Now to learn the program and the King Air which I really like and not really a general aviation person normally.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Downloaded the newest version of X-Plane Regional United States 64 bit yesterday. Is that the Gold Master? Now to learn the program and the King Air which I really like and not really a general aviation person normally.

It's not GM yet, but not far off...rc1 is where we are now....The Beech is a great plane too!

in2tech

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
Anyone know why when I type in a text line in X-Plane 10 by hitting the enter key that the space bar does not work, and all text is one solid line with no spaces? I have looked at all the settings and can't figure it out!

Any help appreciated!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
The update is the GM and is labeled r1..it's smooth and fast, and has been well worth the wait. I recommend the upgrade ( which is free if you own X-Plane 10) to all...I've ditched my 32 bit copy, and I note that all aircraft and plugins are coming out in 64 Bit now too....long list of planes and scenery files have been made available this last few days.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
The update is the GM and is labeled r1..it's smooth and fast, and has been well worth the wait. I recommend the upgrade ( which is free if you own X-Plane 10) to all...I've ditched my 32 bit copy, and I note that all aircraft and plugins are coming out in 64 Bit now too....long list of planes and scenery files have been made available this last few days.

I wish, but no.
My Garmin GNS 530W is 32-bit only.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I wish, but no.
My Garmin GNS 530W is 32-bit only.

Yes, I've been looking for a 64Bit nav device...they are around, but they typically cost in excess of £300.00 a lot of money. Trouble is, those manufacturers won't be updating their stuff....there is a hole in the market for a dedicated X-Plane navigation device...I'm sure we will see one eventually...the plane makers and plug in coders are just now catching on and releasing updates for aircraft etc. the 64 bit version makes far better use of both VRAM and system RAM....I don't get out of memory warnings anymore, or crashes...with 32GB of RAM, and the new 680 2GB GPU, things are smooth as silk unless you fly from a heavily detailed airport...even then, it's fine once your in the air. I wouldn't retur pn to the 32 Bit version just to use a nav device....I file a flight plan and follow ATC, or just enter a destination when I'm in the air.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
For anybody interested in older aircraft...Heinz has a deal on the DC3 today...All liveries..Cargo, airliner and float versions...Also included in the package is the old Baron twin ( the original one) all for $19.00...Pretty good deal as the DC3 in single livery was more than that alone a while back.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Does anyone know what shipping method X-Plane use to ship DVD purchases ? I ordered the photo scenery packs for the UK and asked them how long it would take to ship and what method they used, they only replied that it would take around two weeks to ship to the UK, but did not provide me with shipping or tracking information. I can't find anything on the site about it either.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Does anyone know what shipping method X-Plane use to ship DVD purchases ? I ordered the photo scenery packs for the UK and asked them how long it would take to ship and what method they used, they only replied that it would take around two weeks to ship to the UK, but did not provide me with shipping or tracking information. I can't find anything on the site about it either.

I searched forums.x-plane.org but could not find the answer.
But you might want to post your question there.

alexdimartino

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
London
Need Advice re XPlane for Mac

Hi all,

I am running XPlane 9 on a MacBook Pro 15" from mid 2010. It runs ok, but as soon as I start the fans begin spinning and the Mac body becomes very hot. It feels like I can get running too long because I dont want to risk ruining my beloved MacBook. I suppose my configuration is a bit poor for this sim requirements. Here it is:

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB

I love XPlane and I would like to buy a specific machine only for that but I cant afford a Mac, therefore I was thinking to buy a PC and have it running Windows or Linux. Any suggestions? Similar experiences?

Thanks so much in advance!

Alex

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I am not supposed to say this but X-Plane will definitely run better on Windows.
Get a good gaming machine with a powerful nVidia card.

Broadly speaking that's true, but a maxed out 2012 iMac will run it better, although you have to throw money at RAM and GPU...If anyone is interested, X-Plane ship using USPS 10 day guaranteed delivery...Although the guy didn't know who delivers in the UK, it's got to be Royal Mail...and today is day 10!!! I'm really looking forward to getting them!

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Broadly speaking that's true, but a maxed out 2012 iMac will run it better, although you have to throw money at RAM and GPU.

I'm glad you like the iMac but gaming PCs have more powerful CPUs and GPUs.
The iMac uses moblie GPUs which can't compare with the desktop GPUs of PC gaming machines.
The iMac has a very nice Intel Core i7-3770s. But PC gaming machines are using Intel Core i7-3820s and i7-3930s and i7-3960s.
I'd take an iMac over a PC any day of the week except for running X-Plane.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I'd take an iMac over a PC any day of the week except for running X-Plane..

I understand that, but as much as I love X-Plane I'm not getting a PC for it.

As there still are some rumours regarding a new Mac Pro, I'm holding off getting a maxxed out iMac 27". Once I'm sure no new Mac Pro is coming out, I will get the newest and fattest iMac... ;)

My good ol' 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM) with Radeon HD 5870 still does pretty well in X-Plane 10.
I might even get a HD 7950 (if it's compatible with the 2008 Mac Pro...) X-Plane 10 with HDR lightning will take advantage of that card, I'm sure.

It does get frustrating though... waiting for clear signs of a new Mac Pro...

I would love to set the grfx settings higher and be able to fly smoothly over the expensive scenery I have purchased the last couple of months... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.