Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I plan on purchasing a 2013 MBP when they are released. However, the rumor mill is suggesting all the MBP models will be retina this year. If that's the case, so be it, but if non-retina is an option, I will go with that. Either way, I would be buying the model with the dedicated GPU.

I want to know if people play WoW on the 2012 rMBP with little problems, and if there are problems, what are the main problems? I'm currently playing on a 11" 2011 MBA, so anything will be an upgrade. WoW, and maybe occasional Mac Store games, will be the only games I play on it.

Morrius

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
None whatsoever. It runs like a dream on my 2012 rMBP. I don't think the retina screen gave a huge advantage, but the first time I played WoW on an SSD, I knew I could never go back.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I play WoW on my 2012 15" RMBP and it plays perfectly (around 60fps with settings on high). I actually play it mainly through a larger monitor so I have both screens running at the same time and it works a dream.

but do also play it though the retina screen though it looks nice and clear it offers no real advantage.

I use an external bluetooth keyboard and the laptop is elevated on a stand but I do still use a program to control the fan speed as I would perfer to keep the laptop cool and have a low hum of the fans to hear them coming on full blast every so often. Normally the temp sits around 80 celsius when I do this.

When I use it laptop mode and no other screen or keyboard, I still do control the temperature but I get the same performance.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the feedback guys :)

I was worried the retina MBP would have problems with WoW and if there were, I would just buy a 2012 MBP when the time came. So if the rumors are true and all 2013 MBP are retina, then there won't be an issue. But if non-retina is still an option, I'll just get that, only due to the price difference.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I play WoW at all high, some maximum settings, and achieve 90-96+ fps, only slightly dropping under some circumstances (i.e. crowded, or lots of "stuff" going on in the game at once).

It runs extremely nice on my MBP.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
I play WoW on my RMBP and it works great. The fans do kick on and the laptop gets hot near the "1234" keys. Lowering the settings seem to help it keep cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.