Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
This whole transitive property of who is better than who really has to stop in college football (sports in general too I guess....but college football is really all I care about so I'm going to limit this to that). Just because A beat B and B beat C does not automatically mean A is better than C.

Anybody that was paying attention this year knew going into Monday night that Notre Dame was as mediocre as ever. They have, for the most part, mediocre players that get turned into giants by a MSM that loves the Notre Dame mystique. In the end Notre Dame played a great team that was playing with great focus and got exposed for they truly are......a middle of the pack team.

They'll fit right in over in the ACC.

I agree with that, they were an overachieving team that underachieved in mondays game.

But the main issue is that you only have 12-13 games and you don't play everybody so how do you measure up teams? thankfully with the 4 team playoff there's a better chance of getting it right.

Then again, with 5 weeks off who can beat a Nick Saban team with above average players?

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Texas A&M's 2012 schedule with my prediction:

08/30 at Louisiana Tech - W
09/08 vs. Florida - W (tossup)
09/15 at SMU - W
09/22 vs. South Carolina State - W
09/29 vs. Arkansas - L (tossup)
10/06 at Ole Miss - W
10/20 vs. LSU - L
10/27 at Auburn - L (tossup)
11/03 at Mississippi State - W (tossup)
11/10 at Alabama - L
11/17 vs. Sam Houston State - W
11/24 vs. Missouri - W (tossup)

Best case: 10-2
My pick: 8-4
Worse case: 5-7

Looks like my "best case" prediction for A&M's season was pretty close. What a great year. Final polls have been out a few days. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 12.52.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 12.52.04 PM.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 94

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Your toss-ups were all effed up.

Yep. Before the season, games vs Florida, vs Arkansas, @ Auburn, @ Mississippi St and vs Missouri all looked like tough-to-call games. Turns out only Florida was close thanks to Sumlin and his coaches, and, of course, the emergence of Johnny Heisman.

A&M really only had a few close games this year: Florida (lost by 3), Ole Miss (won by 3), LSU (lost by 5) and Alabama (won by 5). Every other game was over by halftime, except OU, who managed to stay in the game almost three full quarters.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
How could he not hear about the death of his girlfriend? It was all over the news and papers. Wow just wow.

Errr, reading comprehension say what?

Either way, it's absurd. Te'o was either such a fool that he fell in love with a false identity online or he's a @#%! for exploiting emotional stories for enhanced media coverage to make up for his merely above average skill and play (not superstar status).

First the whoopin' in the NC game, skipping out on Senior Bowl stuff, and now this - his stock is going to tank. Just a matter of how much.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Just when I thought this thread was done for the year, this story comes along. Really bizarre. Amazing that nobody checked up on any part of the story (car accident, funeral) until now. Next thing, Te'o will be interviewed by Oprah where he'll confess to the hoax.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Notre Dame says Te'o got duped. Uh, not sure how that's possible. You've never met your own girlfriend? The one who you sent roses to after she died? So weird and effed up.

His agent must be sweating bullets right now. Fantastic work by Deadspin.

He was Catfished!?!?

I've seen the movie and the ensuing TV show, so it certainly happens. But for something that was so talked about by so many different media outlets, how are we just finding out about this now?? Crazy!

And agreed - nice work by Deadspin. Hell of a scoop.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Errr, reading comprehension say what?

Either way, it's absurd. Te'o was either such a fool that he fell in love with a false identity online or he's a @#%! for exploiting emotional stories for enhanced media coverage to make up for his merely above average skill and play (not superstar status).

First the whoopin' in the NC game, skipping out on Senior Bowl stuff, and now this - his stock is going to tank. Just a matter of how much.

I was being just a tad sarcastic..... LOL.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.