Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
Why would apple want to go samsung's way on making similar devices but with different screen sizes or cheaper material? Does apple really think by making cheap iphone the would sell better? not really.Me myself can but an iphone 5 for 200 dlls but i can't afford the 80-100 dlls a month plan that's just stupid even if the new iphone 6 was free on a plan i probably still wouldn't get it.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
The Cheap iphone 5 is for emerging markets. Were the average wage is half that of the western world. Saying that we may see it as a replacement for the bottom end iphone 4s.

This is about global market places and trying to develop market share in china, asia ect.

Dont get sucked in by the soundbite CNN headlines that are put out to grab you.

Last edited:

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
the cheap iphones work in some situations, both my parents have 2nd hand 3gs/32 that i picked up for £80 each, they work fine for them and intergrate well with their ipads

stick the ip5 inners in a not so well finished plastic case and make it cheap and their onto a winner for the less well off countries

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
I haven't read anything that said the cheaper iPhones would have a smaller screen size. If they did make a cheaper iPhone, would they continue to offer the older gen iPhones (4 & 4S)?? This could be a way to update all phones to have the same screen size so all apps are displayed the same on each phone.

Misc Energy

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
The iPhone is marketed toward teens and young adults. I guess they want to tap into the market of older people who just want a more basic phone without internet service and all the other fancy stuff. It's not going to hurt the image of the iPhone.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Why would apple want to go samsung's way on making similar devices but with different screen sizes or cheaper material? Does apple really think by making cheap iphone the would sell better? not really.Me myself can but an iphone 5 for 200 dlls but i can't afford the 80-100 dlls a month plan that's just stupid even if the new iphone 6 was free on a plan i probably still wouldn't get it.
When cell providers start offering service that is available for unsubsidized phones, that "free" (with a 2 year contract) iPhone 4 is going cost $500 out of pocket upfront. That is not going to sell well when unsubsidized Galaxy SIII phones are selling for $250-300 no-contract.

I do believe that Apple WILL produce a cheaper iPhone. Apple is not ignorant of market forces and so despite Steve Jobs' claims that a 7" tablet would not be viable, Apple relented and produced one... why? Because Apple was wrong and millions of Android-based 7" tablets were selling everywhere.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Cheap iPhone's are already being sold for the past 3 years. iPhone 3GS iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. Best buy, radio shack, pay as you go, wallmart, free iPhone 3GS at AT&T. This already exists. Wall street journal needs to step outside and shop. The iPhone 5S will most likely have the same form factor as the iPhone 5, improved A? processor, different colors.etc. The cost of a new generation iPhone will most likely always cost $199 starting price going to $300 or $400. The previous models will always be reduced by $50.00.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
weather your on contract or not, you still have to pay $50+ for a monthly plan. Your better off taking the phone free if your planning on staying with the same provider for a few years.

I am on contract, but still buy and sell my phones, when im up for renewal, I re-sign and get the subsidized phone and sell it for profit that I use to reduce my monthly plan obligations.

I still have to have a data/voice plan so its still gunna cost me the same per month.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Despite whatever any of the current Apple bosses say, they are now out for market share and the shareholders (i.e., to increase that stock price). The days of Steve Jobs ruling with an iron fist are over. No one left at that company is as much as a control freak and perfectionist as he was. That cheap iPhone (if it even comes to fruition) will do nothing more than pad their pockets and increase their market share. If China is going to become their biggest market eventually, it isn't going to happen with a phone that retails for a minimum of $649 without a contract.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
This is about global market places and trying to develop market share in china, asia ect.

Apple has never been concerned about market share. They place profits over market share. There may however be a change in culture in the company post-Steve Jobs.

Not saying that in an Apple is doomed way, but just in the way when such an iconic person has lead for so long there are always going to be changes when they leave the company.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Why would apple want to go samsung's way on making similar devices but with different screen sizes or cheaper material?
Why are you worried about it?

Does apple really think by making cheap iphone the would sell better? not really.
Based solely on your preference? If you think it's a dumb idea, don't buy it. Plenty of others will. One person preference does not define a trend among the millions of other consumers out there.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Cheaper iPhone = wider deployment in business.

Business management don't want their staff running games, etc anyway - and even a cheap base model device like a 3G-s with updated network support would be plenty for the business stuff they want like iMessage, Facetime, e-mail and basic utility apps.

For businesses who buy their phone outright (like we do here in Australia, you can get them with no plans), a phone cheaper than say $700-900 (which is what they sell for when you take the subsidy away that your plan pays for) will help more employees justify one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.