Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wndzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Manchester, UK
I have a new iMac 27" but I do not have an external drive in order to install Windows from a disc - is it still possible to install Windows on a partition on the new iMac without the drive?

I have a copy of Windows saved as an image on my desktop.

Any help much appreciated.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
if you have a windows 7 disk there is a way but i dont how to go about getting it work to make a usb windows 7 you image may be able to work with the boot camp that can make a windows 7 usb boot bot sure thou

if you have another mac or pc lying around that has optical you can try boot camp on the other mac

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I have a new iMac 27" but I do not have an external drive in order to install Windows from a disc - is it still possible to install Windows on a partition on the new iMac without the drive?

I have a copy of Windows saved as an image on my desktop.

Any help much appreciated.

Yes, if its an iso image just start bootcamp and plug in a USB drive. The program will guide you through the rest, it's fairly easy.

wndzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Manchester, UK
Thanks for the responses so far. I don't think I made it too clear what my issue is.

I do now own a SuperDrive or any external drive - instead I have an ISO file with my copy of Windows. Am I naive in thinking that a program like VM Ware would be able to help with this?

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
Yes, if its an iso image just start bootcamp and plug in a USB drive. The program will guide you through the rest, it's fairly easy.

Thanks for the responses so far. I don't think I made it too clear what my issue is.

I do now own a SuperDrive or any external drive - instead I have an ISO file with my copy of Windows. Am I naive in thinking that a program like VM Ware would be able to help with this?
go buy an 8 GB USB flash drive keychain (about 5 dollars) that is the USB drive AndiS is telling you to use... if you have one you are all set... if not 8GB for $5 should be enough...

wndzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Manchester, UK
go buy an 8 GB USB keychain (about 5 dollars) that is the USB drive AndiS is telling you to use... if you have one you are all set... if not 8GB for $5 should be enough...

Right - this makes a lot more sense once I'd read it again! Thank you everybody.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.