Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flojojr2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Hi,
I just bought a new mbp wednesday and although I haven't received it yet, I wanted to get an idea of where to buy mac games. I heard that it's easier to buy them online but I'm not sure if this is true. If it is, what sites would you all recommend? I saw some on the apple website but it wasn't a very big collection and I'm looking to purchase some older/ cheaper games as well as possibly some newer ones.

I bought the mbp 13" 250gb hd 4 gb ram...not sure if that matters...

Flojojr2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Your local Apple Store will have a nice collection. At least, mine does. Also, Amazon and eBay.

K thanks. I'll definitely check Amazon since I'm not sure if my apple store has older titles.

Do you recommend trying demos? I've never been big on demos but now that I want to try some new games, I think maybe it would be a good idea to try demos first. Do you know where I can go for these as well?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've noticed you pay a real premium for older games in the Apple Store. If you have a Windows install, you'd save 50% or more getting the PC version. As others before me have said, I'd look at Amazon.com and ebay for Mac games.

Flojojr2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
I've noticed you pay a real premium for older games in the Apple Store. If you have a Windows install, you'd save 50% or more getting the PC version. As others before me have said, I'd look at Amazon.com and ebay for Mac games.

Thanks! My hp laptop's motherboard is toast so i'll have to stick to playing games on my mac.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Another option I use is Goozex, which is a game trading site (you trade for points, use those points to 'buy' other games). I actually just sent out the Mac version of Stubbs the Zombie the other day on Goozex! Of course, they are all used games.

BStyle105

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
Games

The App store, The Mac Games Store are really good but I would also check out Steam too http://steamcommunity.com/apps/.

There are usually always sales going on; last week on Steam; Assassin's Creed 2: Deluxe Edition for Mac was going for $5.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
Hey, welcome to the mac gaming world! ;)

There's plenty of places where you have a HUGE selection of mac games, I was actually surprised the first time I started looking for Mac games.

Cutting down to the chase, you have:
The Mac Game Store
Steam's Mac collection
GameAgent.com (which has a cool price comparison tool
The Apple App Store
Amazon.com

Also, don't forget to check out the mac games blogs. It's the best way to keep track of the new games coming soon.

Cheers!

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Hi,
I just bought a new mbp wednesday and although I haven't received it yet, I wanted to get an idea of where to buy mac games. I heard that it's easier to buy them online but I'm not sure if this is true. If it is, what sites would you all recommend? I saw some on the apple website but it wasn't a very big collection and I'm looking to purchase some older/ cheaper games as well as possibly some newer ones.

I bought the mbp 13" 250gb hd 4 gb ram...not sure if that matters...

Oh man... IF you can afford it in the near future, I'm gonna suggest you upgrade that RAM from 4GB to (at least) 8GB for gaming. Trust me. While many games might state that they have "Minimum Requirements" of 4GB memory, most gamers know that games run much better (and sometimes less crashes and less lag) if they have more memory over the required minimum.

Having enough memory, not having enough memory, or having plenty of extra memory... is a HUGE HUGE factor in the performance of many modern games.

If you don't like the idea of installing RAM yourself (or if you simply find this a daunting task), then an option would be to buy cheap memory at your local Apple-licensed reseller (e.g. MacMall stores, Fry's, Best Buy) and then pay them like $30-40 (or around that much) to install it for you. Or find some geeky Mac friend to install it for you (just buy him lunch)!

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
I'm another Steam fan, having purchased all my virtual titles from there. It's a great platform for buying games for my mac - and when I go to Windows, not only my games, but even the saves are there!

Now... :eek: hmmm....:eek: I don't know if you guys noticed this but... it seems this thread was started in... 2009:eek::confused:

---Thread Ressurrection DETECTED---

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
I'm another Steam fan, having purchased all my virtual titles from there. It's a great platform for buying games for my mac - and when I go to Windows, not only my games, but even the saves are there!

Now... :eek: hmmm....:eek: I don't know if you guys noticed this but... it seems this thread was started in... 2009:eek::confused:

Steam all the way, what with their regular sales, but also the feature that if you buy a game on the OSX platform you generally are able to download it on the Windows platform as well.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

Yeah. Now I feel stupid... trying to give advice to the OP advising him to upgrade his RAM.... :rolleyes:

I need to be more careful about dabbling in Necroposting. It's a dark art, aye.

81Steven

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2011
I love Steam too but remember that GoG remove all DRM at all... no copy protection or online check required... never

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
And now you can get Legend of Grimrock (and 9 others this month) on GoG ... and Jedi Academy on Steam (and Mac App Store) ... the library just keeps growing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.