Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ultraspiracle

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
no ML for me (again) till the shutdown time is brought under control to something reasonable. This kills solid state and retina MBPs. I went back to Lion - solid, stable.

ssblakemac25

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
My 10.8.2 issues:

1) SLOW SHUTDOWNS

2) Poor battery life (2-3 hours, max, on MacBook Pro w/ 92% of original battery capacity)

3) iCal randomly gives errors with Google calendars.

I've seen no changelog (anywhere) that mentions those being addressed.

1) I was experiencing the slow shutdown on my MBP. Searched everywhere for a solution. After booting in verbose mode, I saw a process was hanging. Followed instructions here (3 terminal commands) and now have two second shutdowns.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1448304/

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
You guys should send feedback to apple... if apple didn't fix it..that's because it's your fault of not report... sounds like unreported rape.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I really don't get why they started calling it OS X and not, like, Mac OS. Because Mac OS will apply even when they introduce System 11, but OS X won't.

They started calling Mac OS X because it is the Tenth version of Mac OS. Before it was Mac OS X, it was Mac OS 9.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
I'm a super happy ML user.

The only thing that still bugs me is the occational blue-colour-tint when switching graphics cards (on my almost brand new non-retina but hires 15" MacBook Pro). Hopefully, this will be fixed with a new set of updated graphics-drivers.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

The only thing that still bugs me is the occational blue-colour-tint when switching graphics cards (on my almost brand new non-retina but hires 15" MacBook Pro). Hopefully, this will be fixed with a new set of updated graphics-drivers.

I have that same MBP and I don't see that in 10.8.3

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005

I thought they fixed that with 10.8.2...? It was an issue with 10.8 and 10.8.1 that sometimes it gotten me distorted graphics until I had to reboot my MBP... It returned, and I stick back in SL...

marshy82

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
No it is not?

For me it is, before it was very random. sometimes it would take 20 seconds other times it would take 2 seconds. Now the shutdown time is always 2 seconds. Safari seems to be a bit more laggy in this build

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I'm happy with ML and going back to SL is just laughable at this point. To me anyway...

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
1) I was experiencing the slow shutdown on my MBP. Searched everywhere for a solution. After booting in verbose mode, I saw a process was hanging. Followed instructions here (3 terminal commands) and now have two second shutdowns.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1448304/

Fixed the appleevents plist then internetsharing started to hang, fixed that one and now it's securityd.

Seems the issue is in the code and can't be fixed by just adding some options to the plist file.

----------

I'm happy with ML and going back to SL is just laughable at this point. To me anyway...

I'm very happy with ML too.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Hopefully, 10.8.3 will fix the crashes when switching graphic cards
This bug exists since (Mac) OS X 10.6.0. Why do you think they fix this kernel bug in 10.8.3?

----------

It kinda feels like this is the last update (or second to last) before 10.9.
10.8.3 supports the new Thunderbolt Displays and/or the new Mac Pro. Hints are the new Fresco Logic PCIe to USB 3.0 bridge drivers and new AMD drivers.

----------

I can't help but think the live release of 10.8.3, and maybe iOS 6.1, coming around the earnings call next week.
OS X updates come always after the printer driver updates (usually 2-4 weeks later). See:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
hiccups on my rMBP once in a while

I believe that may just be the rather underpowered onboard GPU powering that massive resolution w/ desktop animations than Mountain Lion..

Aren't the rMBP pretty twitchy, anyway?

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
I've had my iMac and MBP for the best part of 5 years now and I have only turned the iMac off a couple of times when I have changed rooms, and the MBP when it has had a change of battery.

Do most people actually turn off their Macs rather than just use sleep? Why? Sleep uses very little power and makes the machines so easy to use.

Re the name and what come after OS X … I've always assumed that any step change would be OS XI (a continuation of Apple's use of Roman numerals) rather than 11.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I believe that may just be the rather underpowered onboard GPU powering that massive resolution w/ desktop animations than Mountain Lion..

Aren't the rMBP pretty twitchy, anyway?

It dos not feel like something from the onboard GPU, but do not know for sure.
Think the EFI update have a little role in it to.
I would love to see 10.8.3 and rMBP EFI roll out at that same time soon.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
Still don't like it? Don't use it then. But this completely unconstructive whining has to end.

well i might want to buy a new mac sooner or later, but since i cannot install SL on new machines i won't. call me crazy but i'm tempted to look over to win or ubuntu for my next pc.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I find iMessage, Notes, AirPlay, Notifications to be powerful additions to OS X. I for one am not complaining that these features happen to be brought over from iOS. It's so convenient to just type down a shopping list on the laptop and its real keyboard, and then just go shopping with the phone, with the list already there. And Notifications made me instantly ditch anything related to Gmail, Facebook, and Twitter notification apps/browser extensions, as well as Growl.

Last edited:

koen

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2003
My 10.8.2 issues:

1) SLOW SHUTDOWNS

2) Poor battery life (2-3 hours, max, on MacBook Pro w/ 92% of original battery capacity)

3) iCal randomly gives errors with Google calendars.

I've seen no changelog (anywhere) that mentions those being addressed.

If you (or others) haven't reported them to Apple, chances that they will be fixed are small. Discussing problems on a public forum has no use, you better use the official Apple feedback page at http://apple.com/feedback/

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I find iMessage, Notes, AirPlay, Notifications to be powerful additions to OS X. I for one am not complaining that these features happen to be brought over from iOS. It's so convenient to just type down a shopping list on the laptop and its real keyboard, and then just go shopping with the phone, with the list already there. And Notifications made me instantly ditch anything related to Gmail, Facebook, and Twitter notification apps/browser extensions, as well as Growl.

I'm just about 100% in agreement with you. My single favourite feature has to be the ability to send/receive iMessages to/from my phone number on my mac.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
They started calling Mac OS X because it is the tenth version of Mac OS. Before it was Mac OS X, it was Mac OS 9.
When they actually called it Mac OS X, that made sense. But now they're just calling it "OS X".
lHSwE.png

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You've probably not seen expose in ML, and you probably don't remember the hate-flame-war over expose in Mac forums when SL came out; I'm guessing.

Here is expose in ML:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/screenshot20120504at948.png/

Here is expose in SL:
http://www.macintouch.com/specialreports/snowleopard/graphics/expose-all.jpg

Here is expose in L:
http://pcmcourseware.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/expose.png

Look back at forum posts from Fall of 2009. People hated expose in SL, about as much as they hate ML today. Some things never change.

I don't "love" ML, and really hate the fact that Apple refuses to allow backwards compatibility on newer Macs. I'm just trying to prevent misinformation. (1) Expose in ML is better than Lion; and for those who have been around OSX for a while, recognize that it's back to proper Leopard behavior from when it was best., and (2) not all the extras are bloat, just some of them :)

Then don't read it... First of all, though "all the social cr@p" is completely optional, its processes are not, and thus cannot be turned off whether you use it or not. It's a bloatware to say the least. Secondly, Leopard has the "proper" exposè, SL is the refinement of it. It looks a lot cleaner than some random windows thrown at your screen. I just don't understand why would Apple want to reverse it with Lion and Mountain Lion. I guess that's the very sign that Apple is going BACKWARDS hence the lack of innovation after SJ got beaten back to his grave.

Still don't like it? Don't read it then, don't even bother to quote. Because this I-hate-SL-buggers-ML-being-latest-and-greatest-wannabe whining has to end. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
You've probably not seen expose in ML, and you probably don't remember the hate-flame-war over expose in Mac forums when SL came out; I'm guessing.

Here is expose in ML:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/screenshot20120504at948.png/

Here is expose in SL:
http://www.macintouch.com/specialreports/snowleopard/graphics/expose-all.jpg

Here is expose in L:
http://pcmcourseware.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/expose.png

Look back at forum posts from Fall of 2009. People hated expose in SL, about as much as they hate ML today. Some things never change.

I don't "love" ML, and really hate the fact that Apple refuses to allow backwards compatibility on newer Macs. I'm just trying to prevent misinformation. (1) Expose in ML is better than Lion; and for those who have been around OSX for a while, recognize that it's back to proper Leopard behavior from when it was best., and (2) not all the extras are bloat, just some of them :)

I didn't mind Snow Leopard Exposé and I don't mind Mountain Lion's either. But I do want the labels that Snow Leopard had. I like having a little text indicator of what window is what.

When they actually called it Mac OS X, that made sense. But now they're just calling it "OS X".
lHSwE.png
Oh ok gotcha. I thought you meant as a whole.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.