Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emma92

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
I just bought an iPhone 5 from my friend (unwanted upgrade) and it's locked to 3, does anyone know how to unlock it? as I'm on o2. I heard from someone it was quite difficult to unlock, but then i was also told I could just ring up 3 and get them to unlock it :/

I got it really cheap so I don't mind paying for it to be unlocked.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
I just bought an iPhone 5 from my friend (unwanted upgrade) and it's locked to 3, does anyone know how to unlock it? as I'm on o2. I heard from someone it was quite difficult to unlock, but then i was also told I could just ring up 3 and get them to unlock it :/

Get your friend to call them up and ask them to unlock it.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
I just bought an iPhone 5 from my friend (unwanted upgrade) and it's locked to 3, does anyone know how to unlock it? as I'm on o2. I heard from someone it was quite difficult to unlock, but then i was also told I could just ring up 3 and get them to unlock it :/.

You can't ring 3 to request it, only the contract holder can, so get your friend to phone and request it.

There is no other unlock other than the official Apple unlock.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk

Hi.

This may of be interest to you. Got this from the 3 Network website.

Unlocking a Three device to use with another network.
If you have a phone or Mobile Broadband device that you've bought from us, you might want to get it unlocked so you can use it with a SIM from any network. We can unlock it for you if you pay a one-off fee of £15.32.

To unlock your Three device you'll need to get an unlock code by filling in the form below. You’ll need your device’s unique 15 digit number, called an IMEI number, to do this. See how to find your device’s IMEI number.

After filling in the form, depending on your account, we’ll either call you to take payment or add the cost to your next bill. See below for more details.

Once you’ve paid, we can often give you your unlock code straight away, but it can take up to seven days. If we can’t give it to you straight away, we'll send you an email or text with your unlock code and what to do next.

Pay Monthly.
You can unlock your device when you’re 30 days or more into your contract and once you’ve paid your first bill, or straight away if you’ve upgraded your contract.

If you’re:

in the last 110 days of your contract, we’ll just add the unlocking fee to your next bill, so we won’t call you
not yet in the last 110 days of your contract, we’ll give you a call within two working days to take the £15.32 fee using a credit or debit card. We can only take payments on cards that are registered to the account owner. You’ll see a confirmation of this payment on your next bill.
Pay As You Go.
You can unlock your device as soon as you’ve bought it from us. Once you’ve filled in the form, we’ll call you within two working days to take the £15.32 fee using a credit or debit card. We can only take payments on cards that are registered to the account owner.

Note:

If you didn’t buy your device from three.co.uk, a 3Store or by calling us, for security reasons you‘ll need to call us to send us a copy of the receipt you got when you bought your device. To talk to us about your phone, call 333 free from a Three phone or 0843 373 3333 from any other phone*. To talk to us about your Mobile Broadband device, call 500 free from a Three phone or 0843 373 0500 from any phone*.
If you want to unlock an iPhone or iPad and you haven’t yet updated to iOS 5 or above, you'll need to connect your device to iTunes to get your unlock code. After we’ve called you, we'll send you a text or email to let you know when you can do this.
You should check your device and its features will work on other networks before filling in the form, as we can’t guarantee this.
Your device might still show our logo, even when you’re using a SIM card from another network. This is normal, and won’t prevent you from using the device on another network as usual.

Drmedic

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Has anyone successfully reserved an 32gb iPhone 5 from a London store?
I know that WhiteCity have stock of 16gb of black/white. Gonna try and reserve a 32gb one >_<

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Has Three increased the price of the iphone 5 32gb?
I purchased mine in late october for £89 on the one plan for £39 monthly.
Now, for the same monthly fee I can only get the iphone5 32gb for £149 ???

(I wanted to purchase the iphone for my partner)

Kelcoshows

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Hertfordshire UK
Has anyone successfully reserved an 32gb iPhone 5 from a London store?
I know that WhiteCity have stock of 16gb of black/white. Gonna try and reserve a 32gb one >_<

Got a white 32gb reserved in Stratford last Wednesday. Took 4-5 weeks trying across various London stores (recent st, Covent garden etc..)

rcopus

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010

Looks that way :eek:

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England

Yeah, the Tariff I got my iP5 is also not available for sale anymore. Interesting.

Yep, i was gonna get my 5 from Three but they didn't have stock so i went to CPW instead as they were doing the exact same deals.

The day after Three upped all the handset prices just when my work colleauge was going to get one. I put him onto CPW where their prices were still the same, check them out as their prices haven't changed (just checked).

gadgets.loco

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Brum, UK
ordered from EE a black 32GB iPhone 5 last Friday, Nov 23 and was told the standard 30 days shipping window. Today got a text stating that it will be delivered tomorrow between 7:30 and 11:30 AM :D :apple: :D

Drmedic

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Well this is annoying...
Ever since I ordered my 32gb black iPhone 5 online, I've been reserving in 3 iPhone stores in London each night hoping I could get one and cancel my order.
On the day my order changes to 'preparing for shipment' I managed to reserve one >_<. What is this?! I could've had one today, but now I have to wait until tomorrow/Monday. Sad sad times =(

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010

They must have done, i paid £79 for a 64gb on the one plan i think

Jazzatola

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
UK
Does anyone know if the unlocked iPhone5 is available in Apple retail stores? Or is it just online? Would help me out before I make a special journey.

Thanks!

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Does anyone know if the unlocked iPhone5 is available in Apple retail stores? Or is it just online? Would help me out before I make a special journey.

Thanks!

I had to reserve mine online for collection at my local Uk Apple store.

If you need clarification then why not call The store itself.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
So guys, got myself a 64gb Ip5 in black on tmobile, full monty...I have got 2 weeks insurance free, do I need to get the insurance from t mobile or can I get it from another provider e.g. endsleigh student insurance?

Also have not had the chance to make phone calls/texts on it, apps are great on it though. Another day til my number transfers over...

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

Thanks!

As BofB says, phone the store you want to go to. All their numbers are available on the Apple site.

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
I got a new iphone 5 from the Southampton Apple Westquay store. They had multiple unlocked iPhones...I know this because the first two i got had defects. Good thing I didn't leave the store until i had inspected the device!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.