Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you pay for your media content/entertainement?

• Yes

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Some (explain)

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
Hey guys,

I'm just being curious: who's paying for their stuff (music, movies, games)? I'm curious to see what's the trend these days.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I also pay for my content. Although I have just cut the cord, got rid of cable and relying on Freeview and then paying for what I eat like movies and TV series. Less reliant on physical media too.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I pay for all my music, books and movies. I torrent a few TV shows so I can put them on my iPad. I feel no remorse as I have cable and pay them about $80 a month for the TV portion of my bill. No way in hell will I pay for a TV show I want on my iPad that I've already paid for via my cable TV bill.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Sometimes.

I like to download shows from the US when they come out but I will eventually pay for them if I think they worth watching again.

I've downloaded The Walking dead from iTunes because I was trying to catch up with the show at work and couldn't be bothered to sync my iPad.

Its really good having all your purchases sitting in the cloud. I will eventually get all my stuff the right way :)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yeah, I buy my music on Amazon and eMusic unless I can't buy it here, then I torrent instead of paying import fees :rolleyes:, have Amazon Prime, and either buy physical game discs used, or through Humble Bundle deals, and the app stores (I'm an Android and iOS user).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I buy all my stuff. I found no value in "owning"/downloading media or watching copied discs as a kid. Is that weird? Probably. But it just felt cheap.

Now I stick to blurays, DVDs and rip game music myself.

TV shows! Didn't even think of those since I consider downloading a show as watching a recording I made. I pay my license fee and I even have Sky TV, but I only download things from regular terrestrial TV (anything of value on Sky??).

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I Refuse To Answer On The Grounds That I May Incriminate Myself .:p

I think that you call it taking the "5th amendment" ?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I buy all my music on CDs, TV series's I like on DVD and all of my software. Unfortunately, what little movies I do watch, I tend to pirate. I can't warrant spending money on something I'm likely to watch once. Sorry guys, I'm off to hell.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
I buy everything, especially since I don't consume THAT much content on a regular basis. I get why some people don't or can't pay for these things, but I don't get why some people make stealing thousands of dollars in intellectual property a point of personal pride.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
If a content provider provides a convenient and reasonably priced avenue for buying, renting, or streaming their content, I'm happy to pay for it. If not, I might stream it, but more likely I just won't watch because I'm really not interested in the whole piracy thing or skulking around on the web to find something.

Content providers are (finally!) starting to get better about this, so most of what I want is available on Netflix or in iTunes in Canada now.

Being able to buy a season pass for something ought to be the norm. I have no issue paying for the ability to choose to consume content at my convenience if it's delivered in a timely fashion.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I will always pay for music that I really do like the artists or they are local. I try to support local artists as much as possible and go to club events and support them............

I can't say the same for a lot of mainstream music. I don't download illegally, more so because I think its garbage......but if I ever did decide I wanted to add any 2Chainz "I'm Different" to my collection, it would be a solid bet I didn't pay for it.

JackHobbs

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
London
I pay. I just think that if I don't then there will not be the investment in something new. In a similar way, for certain things such as cameras and laptops where I want advice or hands on the goods I go to a real shop to buy it. As Jessops in the UK has recently shown, use it or lose it.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I pay for the apps I find worthwhile. I get my music via YouTube to MP3 converters so technically it's not torrenting.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I do both. Mainly pay though. I only download music that I can't get in the states or that has a huge price tag since it is an import. However I have also ordered from a couple different countries. But some of these CD's are to freaking expensive.

There is a reason I have 1300 cd's in my collection. Ebay and the used market are my friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.