Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I took my mac mini off of the television and bought a monitor for it for college. It was sort of an impulse buy, but typing term papers right in front of a 32 inch tv would have been a bad idea anyway.

I bought a Lenovo LI2321S. The stand is firm, the colors are astonishing, but things that weren't blurry on the TV are a bit blurry here. And the motion blur is AWFUL! I'm considering taking it back.

What are your experiences with monitors? What would you recommend?

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
What is your budget? Size requirement? Resolution requirements?

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I would prefer a 21.5" with HDMI input and headphone out. This one is a 23" and I can't go any bigger. 1080p is a must.

This monitor is an IPS led backlit monitor. things look blotchy rather than sharp too. I don't get it.

JamSandwich

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Maybe the question is what you're willing to spend. I have a pair of Asus IPS screens and I really like them. They're maybe not quite on par with my old iMac screen, but for the price I've been really satisfied.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I took my mac mini off of the television and bought a monitor for it for college. It was sort of an impulse buy, but typing term papers right in front of a 32 inch tv would have been a bad idea anyway.

I bought a Lenovo LI2321S. The stand is firm, the colors are astonishing, but things that weren't blurry on the TV are a bit blurry here. And the motion blur is AWFUL! I'm considering taking it back.

What are your experiences with monitors? What would you recommend?

Instead of buying a computer monitor, why not buy a small HDTV? Best Buy has a few that are under $200 and they have HDMI inputs in addition to other required inputs. You'll get the resolution you want, an adjustable stand(maybe), the size you want, and the blur might go away as well. You could also rely on the audio out port on your mini(but then again I don't know what your setup is).

fedorez

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Taganrog
If you use HDMI-HDMI for monitor, blur is common, unfortunately... you should use the HDMI-to-DVI adapter from the kit of a Mac Mini, and switch to DVI... and may be all be nice )))

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
If you use HDMI-HDMI for monitor, blur is common, unfortunately... you should use the HDMI-to-DVI adapter from the kit of a Mac Mini, and switch to DVI... and may be all be nice )))

If it's a recent mini, why wouldn't you go HDMI-->mini displayport if HDMI is bad? I also don't understand how this would be an improvement if it's still carrying an HDMI signal.

it did say 14ms on the display, but I assumed that was a typo.

Sometimes there are more factors than the display manufacturers post. I remember the use of "overdrive" circuits causing reverse ghosting in some displays a few years ago. You have to make the evaluation by model. Can you return it without paying a restocking fee?

fedorez

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Taganrog
"...The problem is that over HDMI, the Mac doesn't seem to want to allow true 1920 x 1080. It wants to use 1080P, which for our purposes isn't the same. Over HDMI > DVI, it allows the correct resolution...."
The same problems was solved here

Last edited:

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I got a Dell S2340M 23" for Christmas. I am pretty sure Best Buy has it for under $250. It has been on sale periodically as well.

It has a very thin bezel with edge to edge glass. The monitor is extremely thin and light. The base is very sturdy, it doesnt have height adjustment, but it does have a wide range of tilt.

It has DVI and VGA inputs, I am using the supplied HDMI -> DVI adapter and have not had any problems. The colors and clarity have been great.

I upgraded from a 19.5" LCD that was at least 5 years old. The difference has been HUGE (obviously :) ).

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
A few pictures.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358349752.317076.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358349786.522969.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358349809.728170.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358349844.907941.jpg

jcdamascenojr

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
I got a Dell S2340M 23" for Christmas. I am pretty sure Best Buy has it for under $250. It has been on sale periodically as well.

It has a very thin bezel with edge to edge glass. The monitor is extremely thin and light. The base is very sturdy, it doesnt have height adjustment, but it does have a wide range of tilt.

It has DVI and VGA inputs, I am using the supplied HDMI -> DVI adapter and have not had any problems. The colors and clarity have been great.

I upgraded from a 19.5" LCD that was at least 5 years old. The difference has been HUGE (obviously :) ).

Hi,

How about reflections? Do you have any other displays to compare with? Can you take some more pictures (light right in front of it, etc). I'm between this and the matte one (ultrasharp).

Thanks!

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Hi,

How about reflections? Do you have any other displays to compare with? Can you take some more pictures (light right in front of it, etc). I'm between this and the matte one (ultrasharp).

Thanks!

It is a glossy finish. If there was a light pointed at it, it would reflect. I rarely use it with an overhead light, just the lamp on the desk or the LEDs behind the monitor.

My old display was a matte finish. I prefer the glossy look, but that's just a personal preference.

jcdamascenojr

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Reflections are not a problem.

Sorry, I was asking TWO2SEVEN about his monitor (sorry for the hijacking)

It is a glossy finish. If there was a light pointed at it, it would reflect. I rarely use it with an overhead light, just the lamp on the desk or the LEDs behind the monitor.

My old display was a matte finish. I prefer the glossy look, but that's just a personal preference.

Thanks

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
21' s2240m

dell has a nice 21 inch ips as well under 200. I would get that over the lenovo. I say return it.

I have it, the Dell S2240M. Ordered it from amazon for $139 over the holidays. Its a great screen. I'm using hdmi to dvi adapter with no problems. It doesn't have VESA mounts, but i found an adapter from gladiatorjoe.com so now I can connect to ergotron arm. ill post pix once the parts arrive. I bought this screen to go with my new 2012 mac mini. I like the edge to edge glass, very clean design.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
it did say 14ms on the display, but I assumed that was a typo.

If it wasn't a typo then its response time is horrible. IMO try to stay at 5 or less. You might also check the supported refresh rates. I have a monitor that tops at 60MHz but it works fine for my cad/cam work and gaming purposes. I don't know about your particular monitor but make sure it can do 60 Hz. You shouldn't need 100 Hz; unless you are a cyborg.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Any Dell IPS monitor will be amazing. I love the Dell U2412M, it's e-IPS (6 bit) and is 16:10, one of the few 16:10s left. It's LED backlit too and has Displayport and DVI/VGA.

You can usually find deals on Slickdeals for anywhere from 230-260ish, I think.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I have it, the Dell S2240M. Ordered it from amazon for $139 over the holidays. Its a great screen. I'm using hdmi to dvi adapter with no problems. It doesn't have VESA mounts, but i found an adapter from gladiatorjoe.com so now I can connect to ergotron arm. ill post pix once the parts arrive. I bought this screen to go with my new 2012 mac mini. I like the edge to edge glass, very clean design.

I forgot to mention that mine doesn't have VESA mounts either. It's not an issue for me though.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
If it wasn't a typo then its response time is horrible. IMO try to stay at 5 or less. You might also check the supported refresh rates. I have a monitor that tops at 60MHz but it works fine for my cad/cam work and gaming purposes. I don't know about your particular monitor but make sure it can do 60 Hz. You shouldn't need 100 Hz; unless you are a cyborg.

Actual response time for the OP's Lenovo is 5ms, per Lenovo's website.

OP, try using an HDMI to DVI adapter and see if that fixes the blurry text. But as far as motion blur, nothing is going to fix that. If you're not happy with the monitor, return it while you can.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
The base on this monitor is VERY firm, and I do have VESA support, and supposedly split screen mode. I may keep it. I don't know, I have 30 days to decide. Given its current use and that I still have AppleCare, I may look into selling it and just getting an iMac.

I'm going to give this some more time before I make any decisions. Please keep this discussion going though. I like the input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.