Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

templerun2.jpg
Imangi Studios' iconic endless runner Temple Run proved to be a huge success, having been downloaded more than 170 million times since it launched in mid-2011, and today, a surprise sequel to the original game hit the App Store.

Temple Run 2 features the same danger-filled action-packed experience found in the first Temple Run game, but it includes new power ups, a mine cart, zip lines, and an even bigger monkey, according to the App Store description. The game is also set in a new environment and it features enhanced graphics.

Our sister site TouchArcade got an early look at the game and had this to say:
Right from first boot up you'll get a sense of deja vu as the camera sweeps in on the cursed idol that has been the cause of so much running over the past year and a half. You're still being chased by freaky monkey creatures - well, just one giant creature, actually - and you're still using a combination of swipes and tilts to jump or slide past obstacles and collect coins. This is totally Temple Run.

However, just because the key components remain the same doesn't mean there isn't a ton of new stuff in Temple Run 2. Quite the opposite. The game takes place during the "golden hour" that's just before sunset in a new temple floating high up in the sky. This sequel has received a big upgrade in terms of visuals and animation over its predecessor, and it makes a difference. It's a beautiful game for sure.
Temple Run 2 is currently available as a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Temple Run 2' Hits the App Store

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
Temple 2!!!!

Strange, it doesn't come up with a search. The direct link above works though.

Last edited:

akfgpuppet

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
The 831
Really unstable for me on my iPod touch 4th gen, ended up dying so many times because of the lag. The game plays and looks amazing on the iPod touch 5th gen though.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
i never tried this game but with all the positive comments maybe i'll give it a shot!

greenyoga

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
I download this game on my phone,and played for some times,still not very clear about the game rule now,but it seems very interesting.

kelsteo

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
I downloaded and played, really it is awesome. Graphics are very good quality!! I came to know a long path after getting fail so many times. So crazy now also playing and my highest score is 9,89,550 ...

tsadi

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
Same old game with a different environment.
Moving on..

I've always wondered whether people who are always putting down the efforts of others are over-achievers themselves.

Would love to see your creations max.

max53389

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
I've always wondered whether people who are always putting down the efforts of others are over-achievers themselves.

Would love to see your creations max.

Never said anything to put down the dev. Just said that it the same thing as the first temple run and didn't say that wasn't a good game either.
Heck I played this game for about an hour and got bored of it and left a 5 star review.
If anything I just gave constructive criticism.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I really like the first Temple Run, and while the new graphics are extremely beautiful in 2, a lot of the new scenery is very distracting that it's not very enjoyable to play. Everything blends in together.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
Have to say this is a pretty intense update. The way the landscape goes up and down, along with interactions with the environment like zip lining. Its a pretty nice change.

For all the haters, of course this is the same game with a different environment. Isnt that the point? I dont understand.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Temple 2!!!!

Strange, it doesn't come up with a search. The direct link above works though.

It's Apple's horrible Chomp acquisition. Searching the exact title of an app won't return the app as the first result if something more popular has one of the keywords.

"Baby Run - Jump Star"? Come on!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Milk it baby, milk it :cool:

I don't mind them doing it since you can totally play the games and never spend any real money. its the ones where it's basically impossible to move past X level without putting up some cash that bug me.

----------

It's Apple's horrible Chomp acquisition. Searching the exact title of an app won't return the app as the first result if something more popular has one of the keywords.

"Baby Run - Jump Star"? Come on!

Actually it's more a combo of it being new and possibly not fully indexed yet and the overall ****** meta data. All the Apple Stores need a makeover in the metadata department. One useful change might be to stop indexing descriptions that way folks cant pad in things like "great for fans of Temple Run" in games that are nothing like it but they want it to show in searches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.