Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

amazonmp3_iphone_optimized.jpg
Amazon today announced that it has optimized its MP3 music store for Safari on iOS devices, marking yet another step in the company's effort to eat into the iTunes Store's dominant position in the digital music market.
"Since the launch of the Amazon Cloud Player app for iPhone and iPod touch, a top request from customers has been the ability to buy music from Amazon right from their devices. For the first time ever, iOS users have a way do that - now they can access Amazon's huge catalog of music, features like personalized recommendations, deals like albums for $5, songs for $0.69, and they can buy their music once and use it everywhere," said Steve Boom, Vice President of Amazon Music.

Features of the Amazon MP3 store on the mobile web browser include:

- The Amazon MP3 mobile website for iPhone and iPod touches is built on HTML5, which means customers can make purchases directly from the Amazon MP3 mobile website at www.amazon.com/mp3 on their iPhones and iPod touches
- Selection of over 22 million songs and over two million albums at everyday low prices
- Access to everyday deals like $5 albums, $0.69 songs, and free songs from artists on the rise
- Individualized recommendations based on purchase history
- Immediate availability and seamless playback of purchases in the Amazon Cloud Player app
- Free storage of all Amazon MP3 purchases in Amazon Cloud Player
Amazon's move to optimize its MP3 store for iOS devices comes over five years after the store debuted, but seems to be part of a renewed effort by Amazon to challenge the iTunes Store. The company has invested significantly in its Cloud Player services as a competitor to iTunes Match, and Amazon has just launched its new AutoRip feature to provide free digital versions of tracks purchased on CD, including for many orders dating as far back as 1998.

Article Link: Amazon Optimizes MP3 Store for Mobile Safari to Attract iOS Device Users

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
It takes a lot to get people to switch from what they like/know. People that have been using itunes since the beginning are used to the way it's done. Take att's exclusive contract with the iPhone, most people just stayed with att even though another carrier might be better.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I wish Apple would allow downloading MP3s from websites/apps to integrate into iOS's Music app.

I buy music from Amazon all the time and I can't put it into my Music app without using my Mac. How can I use an iPad as a computer replacement if it can't even do that!

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
"The Amazon MP3 mobile website for iPhone and iPod touches is built on HTML5"

Bleh. I hate HTML-based "apps". They always feel so clunky compared to native apps.

bdavis89

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Amazon often has better prices and deal compared to iTunes (in my experience). It works seamlessly as well. You just buy, download, and there is an option to automatically add the music to iTunes. If you buy on your phone, you can just use the Amazon mp3 app to play your purchased music. Saves money and isn't a huge hassle. Its a win in my book.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
US only? Hmm, itunes just launch to other 50 countries last december. Try to expand the market amazon!

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Amazon often has better prices and deal compared to iTunes (in my experience). It works seamlessly as well. You just buy, download, and there is an option to automatically add the music to iTunes. If you buy on your phone, you can just use the Amazon mp3 app to play your purchased music. Saves money and isn't a huge hassle. Its a win in my book.

Agreed, Amazon has always been my my main goto source for music, especially since they was the first to offer the higher bit rate. Now that itunes has matched it its now a toss up. Is songs in itunes still protected, and limited to certain devices?

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
I use Amazon Cloud Player on my iPhone and purchased music from Amazon all the time. Awesome! I look forward to one day having an Amazon MP3 store dedicated app to send my music I buy to my cloud app :)

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Agreed, Amazon has always been my my main goto source for music, especially since they was the first to offer the higher bit rate. Now that itunes has matched it its now a toss up. Is songs in itunes still protected, and limited to certain devices?

They are DRM free Higher Quality AAC files

I use Amazon for the free music, then match in iTunes to get the higher quality iTunes version

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
I wish Apple would allow downloading MP3s from websites/apps to integrate into iOS's Music app.

I buy music from Amazon all the time and I can't put it into my Music app without using my Mac. How can I use an iPad as a computer replacement if it can't even do that!

I know what you mean. If I could integrate them with the songs already on my phone then this would actually be useful to me. I only use iTunes because of the consistency across all of my devices.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
US only? Hmm, itunes just launch to other 50 countries last december. Try to expand the market amazon!

Yep. I'm no Apple apologist or fanboy. If someone else can give me the same music for cheaper, or a better selection, I'm all for it! The problem is iTunes is pretty much the biggest player -- possibly the only player -- in many countries outside of the US.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Only a matter of time since Amazon just opened up that possibility iTunes will have to do the same to match that user convenience.

illian

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Porsche-City, Germany
"The Amazon MP3 mobile website for iPhone and iPod touches is built on HTML5"

Bleh. I hate HTML-based "apps". They always feel so clunky compared to native apps.

I believe the iTunes app is not completely native as well

Besides HTML5 inside a web browser is the only way to go

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Good for them for deciding to add this feature for supporting MP3 downloads on iOS devices.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
You can't buy music from Amazon through it's cloud player yet.

Apple will not allow such in-app purchases unless Apple get's it's 30% "protection money" :D

Therefore you have to buy songs from Amazon through the web browser.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Given that MP3 is usable in far more devices, I'm not sure they would switch. Perhaps offer a choice.

That was true until a few years ago, but most of today's devices are also compatible with AAC. Heck, a Nintendo DSi can play AAC but cannot play MP3.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
That was true until a few years ago, but most of today's devices are also compatible with AAC. Heck, a Nintendo DSi can play AAC but cannot play MP3.

Do people really listen to music on their Nintendo DSi? I ask sincerely. I'm not a gamer so I don't have those type of devices.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

Another reason to jailbreak :eek:

...if one was available for iOS 6

Bridge allows importing into the music app.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
When Amazon released its Auto-Rip feature this week, I was thrilled. Now I have access to much of the music that I purchased, yet cannot play on my iOS devices.

Why can't I play those songs on my iOS devices?

Because Apple has limited the storage size for years now, with 64GBs being the largest you can get on your iPod or iPad. So I had to make choices about what I carry on my iOS device, and that means chopping down severely on the video and music.

I remember the iPod Classic had a 256GB capacity, but those days seem to be long gone. Apple just doesn't seem interested in giving us more storage, instead wanting to encourage iCloud storage it seems. Well I don't always have access to a Wi-Fi signal and certainly don't want to use expensive cellular access for downloading music, so downloading/streaming isn't always practical.

Apple, give us more storage capacity!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.