Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LancD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
I just got the ipad 4 and now have heard about Igzo. How much better of a resolution will it be? Is it going to be a dramatic difference over the current retina display which is 326 ppi I believe? Yes, the ppi will be better but how much will the human eye be able to detect this? Thanks!

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
I think IGZO can provide something like 500ppi which is almost double that of retina.

The biggest advantage however,is that it uses far less power so that mobile devices can be made lighter and thinner due to the much smaller batteries required.

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
I've heard that beyond 300 ppi the human eye can't notice differences, so...

I think IGZO can provide something like 500ppi which is almost double that of retina.

The biggest advantage however,is that it uses far less power so that mobile devices can be made lighter and thinner due to the much smaller batteries required.
This.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I just got the ipad 4 and now have heard about Igzo. How much better of a resolution will it be? Is it going to be a dramatic difference over the current retina display which is 326 ppi I believe? Yes, the ppi will be better but how much will the human eye be able to detect this? Thanks!

You can't even tell the pixels currently... IGZO screen are for battery life. And much better battery life.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013

Igzo LCD is just a display technology like conventional LCD is. It uses less energy and has the ability to have more pixels crammed into the same amount of space compared to conventional LCD. The actual amount of pixels a certain device will have is determined by the manufacturer. It opens up more possibilities for manufacturers though. Retina is simply the name apple gives to a device that has 4 times the number of pixels to their non retina counterpart. It's not a display technology. It's like HD, that's also just a name given to a device that has a 1920x1080 resolution. It's not related to the display technology so you can get plasma HD TVs, LED HD TVs etc.

Last edited:

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
IGZO is at least three and probably more like nine months away.

Like you, I am eagerly anticipating its release.

In the mean time, just enjoy your iPad 4. It is a wonderful device.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
As far as we know, igzo panels haven't yet been mass produced on a global scale. Only recently, they've been mass produced for Japan only.

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
As far as we know, igzo panels haven't yet been mass produced on a global scale. Only recently, they've been mass produced for Japan only.
From Wikipedia...."Sharp announced in mid-April 2012 that they were producing bulk volumes of 32-inch 3840×2160, 10-inch 2560×1600 and 7-inch 1280x800 IGZO panels."

They are a bit more expensive than normal lcd's so it remains to be seen if Apple introduces them in March.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
From Wikipedia...."Sharp announced in mid-April 2012 that they were producing bulk volumes of 32-inch 3840×2160, 10-inch 2560×1600 and 7-inch 1280x800 IGZO panels."

They are a bit more expensive than normal lcd's so it remains to be seen if Apple introduces them in March.

Yes, but not on a global scale. Igzo panels are difficult to produce and mass production in very expensive.

LancD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Apple won't change the resolution again. The only way the ppi will increase is if the screen size decreases.

Will the picture not look any better? Will the picture quality be pretty close to the same as the current retina display?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Will the picture not look any better? Will the picture quality be pretty close to the same as the current retina display?

The jump from regular to Retina is quite noticible, the jump from Retina to that higher ppi won't be. But by keeping the same resolution, the only way to get a higher ppi is by decreasing the screen size. This will happen when the Mini gets Retina.

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
I think if you double the resolution of retina,there will be a difference but I agree beyond 300 ppi the law of diminishing return starts to kick in.

You may not be able to see pixels beyond 330 ppi but pictures and videos will look more etched and real.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012

@mcdj

Have you mellowed down ? :D

I surely miss the sting in your posts and reply ! especially when iPad-3 was launched, and Boy Then You were Mighty Pissed off with One Mr.Tim Cook and Apple as a Company lol :p This was over the screen issues you had !

Man ! I miss it ! :p

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012

It has been reported in at least one rumor on the front page of this Web site that the next iPhone and iPad will use IGZO technology.

As for the exact timeframe, analysts can make predictions. So why can't I?

The fact is that IGZO technology is available. If Apple doesn't make use of it, someone else will.

Last edited:

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I can't wait for IGZO screens, the extra battery life will be awesome.

I'm reasonably sure that when/if Apple switches to IGZO displays, there won't be any increased battery life. Apple will more than likely leverage those power savings into smaller batteries for thinner and lighter devices.

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010
Just to clear up the confusion. Retina is a rather diffuse term. iPad 3 and 4 has 264 PPI, compared to 326 PPI on the iPhone/iPods.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
It has been reported in at least one rumor on the front page of this Web site that the next iPhone and iPad will use IGZO technology.

As for the exact timeframe, analysts can make predictions. So why can't I?

The fact is that IGZO technology is available. If Apple doesn't make use of it, someone else will.
Yes, we all know about the IGZO tech and most of us believe it will be in the next ipad model, whenever that comes out.

Your posts are kind of contradictory to each other, first you say, and I quote:
"IGZO is at least three and probably more like nine months away [...]"

And now you say, quoting yet again:

"The fact is that IGZO technology is available. If Apple doesn't make use of it, someone else will." Which one is it?

As for making predictions you are more than welcome to make them but by saying that something is something by providing a source gives credibility to your post. Analysts say that they believe bla bla bla or that their sources say bla bla bla. So I basically just wanted to know if you had a source for your first post.

As for the next iPad I believe it will be released in late March with IGZO tech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.