Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benb89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
When it comes to downloading apps in the app store, how come we have no real idea of what the app has permission to do?

I know you can set certain permissions in the new privacy built in to ios 6 but what else do apps have permission to see/use? Browsing history? Messages? I know in android it tells you straight up what the app wants access to?

I have been searching for a real answer to this and only came across the privacy policy tab on some apps, however some can be a bit shady?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
When it comes to downloading apps in the app store, how come we have no real idea of what the app has permission to do?

I know you can set certain permissions in the new privacy built in to ios 6 but what else do apps have permission to see/use? Browsing history? Messages? I know in android it tells you straight up what the app wants access to?

I have been searching for a real answer to this and only came across the privacy policy tab on some apps, however some can be a bit shady?

There's an app that was removed from the App store that will do this, it's since been converted to a web app and still works, can't remeber what it's called though.

benb89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
The app was 'clueful'. I am just curious about what apps can do without permission. I have both android and an iphone and I'm trying to decide which I prefer in means of being told what an app is doing or solely putting my trust in the apple App Store. Please could anyone give any advice

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
As far as I know, everything that apps can access is listed in the iOS Privacy control panel.

Any developers here that know otherwise? There could be something I've never heard of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.