Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmygee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Hi all. I want to buy an Apple TV but am slightly confused about the potential setup.

My current system is a SONY HDTV connected via RCA to AUX of my Technics Amp which the TV sounds great through some Spirit speakers.

Here's what I want to do: Use my Sony HDTV and Technics Amp to be able to stream music, video & internet browsing from my iPad & my PC with iTunes. I would also like the ability to use stereos and/or airplay speakers in other rooms around the house to play from iTunes.

Is it possible to do all this with an Apple TV and what is the best & easiest way to connect this into my existing setup with the TV & amp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I know absolutely nothing about Technics (or any kind of) amps, but I'm assuming here it doesn't have HDMI in & out sockets.

If not, I'd connect the ATV via HDMI directly to your TV. The sound would then output via the existing RCA to the amp. Alternatively, you could also connect the ATV via optic cable directly to the amp, though that might add the additional step of having to switch audio inputs every time you switch between TV/cable and the ATV. Using the optic cables should provide better sound and (where applicable) surround sound.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I agree is there any reason you are using RCA connections and not HDMI? I thought HD tvs, even the old tube 720p kind had at least 1 or 2 HDMI connections? You will need to get an adapter for ATV, because it connects via HDMI

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Well since it<s an amp it might be an old AMP without HDMI

Cuz he would have to plug ATV to AMP to TV

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
If your TV has HDMI, absolutely. My setup is below, works great for video/audio streaming from a Mac or iPad and sending the sound through the surround speakers.

ATV to TV using HDMI, TV to RCA receiver using optical output from TV to optical input on the receiver.

I also have my cable box connected to my TV using HDMI.

timmygee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Thanks for the help. Just to clarify, my Technics amp is indeed old (but very good). But it does not have an HDMI connection. The TV has 3 HDMI connections.

I currently go from the TV with an RCA connection into the AUX of the amp.

So can anyone answer the part about streaming to other speakers/stereos around the house? Do I need an airport express to do this or will the Apple TV do the same job?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.