Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Typical Eagles going for the big name splash and not necessarily the best coach. I'm not saying he'll be a bad coach, I just think there were choices I'd rather have.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
They could release Vick and use that 4th pick to get a good option QB in the draft.

Another good option........I'm just saying the personnel of the team will fit his system well. I'm a 49ers fan so I have other things to worry about currently rather than facing the Eagles next season :D

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Just to follow up on my earlier posts about Matt Ryan being clutch
I'm not saying he is the best QB, personally I think Brady is

But, here is more information about him being clutch...
Believe It or Not, Matt Ryan Is the NFL's Most Clutch Quarterback

Yes, I know he has only won 1 playoff game and has no Superbowl wins
But what he has accomplished in the clutch is pretty amazing

Over the past 5 years, only the Patriots have more wins in the NFL
And only Brady has a better home winning percentage

Yes, yes, yes, the Falcons need to do something in the playoffs, I get that
Just read the article, he really does make things happen in crunch time

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Hey MacDawg,, lets wait to see if he wins again let alone a SB... :p :D

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind

Sometimes, I think those 4th Quarter stats can be misleading. Tim Tebow was a master of the last 2 minutes last season. Why? Because he sucked in the first 3 2/3 quarters. Similarly, Andrew Luck had some comebacks this year - he also threw a lot of early game interceptions and played poorly. There are many reasons why teams are in a position to have to come back.

In the Seahawks game, he'll be credited with a 4th Quarter comeback, but that interception he threw earlier helped get them behind. That's not to say he isn't "clutch", but I think those "comeback" stats can be highly overrated.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Sometimes, I think those 4th Quarter stats can be misleading. Tim Tebow was a master of the last 2 minutes last season. Why? Because he sucked in the first 3 2/3 quarters. Similarly, Andrew Luck had some comebacks this year - he also threw a lot of early game interceptions and played poorly. There are many reasons why teams are in a position to have to come back.

In the Seahawks game, he'll be credited with a 4th Quarter comeback, but that interception he threw earlier helped get them behind. That's not to say he isn't "clutch", but I think those "comeback" stats can be highly overrated.

And there is something to be said for overcoming adversity (and a bad pick) to change the game's outcome

Manning and Denver took a knee and lost to the Ravens (on a bad pick by Manning)

Ryan and the Falcons had virtually the same time on the clock and the same distance to go... and beat the Seahawks

Yes, Denver was tied and playing for overtime and the Falcons were behind and had to go for it, but you still have to make the plays

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
And there is something to be said for overcoming adversity (and a bad pick) to change the game's outcome

Manning and Denver took a knee and lost to the Ravens (on a bad pick by Manning)

Ryan and the Falcons had virtually the same time on the clock and the same distance to go... and beat the Seahawks

Yes, Denver was tied and playing for overtime and the Falcons were behind and had to go for it, but you still have to make the plays

Certainly there is something to be said for "adversity" - but in football speak a lot of times "adversity" mean playing crappy. I definitely agree that some can put it behind them easier than others (coughMarkSanchezcough), but still I think those kind of stats can be misleading. And the case of Tim Tebow in 2011 would be a perfect example of why.

Last edited:

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring

Eli Manning is the greatest QB ever then!! he's been clutch IN the superbowl! twice!

Tebow won most of his games last year in crunch time, not because he's a great QB at all ;)

Matt Ryan is a very good QB with a chance of being great, and one thing to keep in mind, if i'm not mistaken by 27 brady had already won his 3 super bowls.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Eli Manning is the greatest QB ever then!! he's been clutch IN the superbowl! twice!

Tebow won most of his games last year in crunch time, not because he's a great QB at all ;)

Matt Ryan is a very good QB with a chance of being great, and one thing to keep in mind, if i'm not mistaken by 27 brady had already won his 3 super bowls.

When Eli Manning, weeks before his second Super Bowl, considered himself elite like his older brother, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, and Romo (all with great quarterback ratings on first tier), it made Eli (much further down on the numbers) look like a fool. So he got "lucky" in one game and got a Super Bowl, so what? But when he beat Brady for second time, it was OK to call Eli Manning an elite quarterback, even with those pedestrian Eli numbers.

Part of what makes a QB best of all time is that clutch play. Bradshaw was nowhere near many of the top QBs of today in terms of sheer numbers, but he had four rides to the Super Bowl and helped win each one. Rivers and Romo are all over Bradshaw in QB rating, but who would you rather be?

In the first three Super Bowls and in the insanely short period of four years, Tom Brady fought three closely contested, physical games and came out on top. That was as clutch as football can get. That feat alone puts him up with the best of all time.

It's best to look at regular season numbers over many years (legacy), postseason trips, Super Bowl wins, and clutch playing and winning the close ones. Where Eli beat Tom Brady twice in two Super Bowls, he also met the Pats in regular season that year and won a clutch, close scoring game. For me, in talking about playing under pressure, Eli Manning has earned the right to be named among the greatest of all time in that regard. I have far more respect for an Eli who can win two Super Bowls that are close over a very tough Tom Brady and the New England Patriots than the times Montana destroyed the Broncos or when Steve Young destroyed the Chargers.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

They are definitely misleading.

In order to have a "4th quarter comeback" you need to have been losing at some point earlier in the game.

I was actually looking at the list of QBs with the most 4th quarter comebacks the other day (here) and was surprised how low on the list Brady was.

Then I realized that he wins so much, and in those wins most of the time the Patriots take the lead early and never give it up, so he can't rack up those 4th quarter comeback and game winning drive stats.

let's not forget this ;)

"And now with no timeouts, I think that the Patriots, with this field position, you have to just run the clock out here. You have to just play for overtime." - John Madden :rolleyes:

After the drive, John Madden says: "What Tom Brady just did gives me goosebumps". ;)

Yep. Matty Ice is definitely a good quarterback but he has a lot of work to do if he even wants to be mentioned in the same sentence as Brady.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
let's not forget this ;)

"And now with no timeouts, I think that the Patriots, with this field position, you have to just run the clock out here. You have to just play for overtime." - John Madden :rolleyes:

YouTube: video

After the drive, John Madden says: "What Tom Brady just did gives me goosebumps". ;)

IMO the greatest drive in Super Bowl history. If Brady can get back to the SB this year and win, He should be referred to as 'THE GREATEST QB EVER".

----------

Eli Manning is the greatest QB ever then!! he's been clutch IN the superbowl! twice!.

Not saying Eli is not a good QB, but in both SBs he was lucky to have receivers that made amazing catches.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Pete Carroll beat the Seahawks.

Just sayin'.

:)

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne

Gives me goosebumps too. Every time.

IMO the greatest drive in Super Bowl history. If Brady can get back to the SB this year and win, He should be referred to as 'THE GREATEST QB EVER".

In my biased opinion, he already is - but I agree another title would remove any debate. Can't believe he's still being doubted after all these years, but hopefully it stokes that fire. We need him to have a Brady-like game.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Gives me goosebumps too. Every time.

In my biased opinion, he already is - but I agree another title would remove any debate. Can't believe he's still being doubted after all these years, but hopefully it stokes that fire. We need him to have a Brady-like game.

Well he's only doubted because he hasn't won the SB in 8yrs and/or after spygate. and he lost to Eli Manning twice, that alone should suffice ;)

And he's only doubted as being one of the greatest of all time, not of being a really great QB.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...tirement/16b244cc-5a6f-4b74-ada2-e2a52f55808b

I really, really, really hope the Ravens win on Sunday... wipe the smug look off Brady, Bellichick and all of Boston fan's faces. ugh never seen a more arrogant pompous fan base.

There are arrogant fans of every winning team, let's not pretend that's a New England-only phenomenon. I understand the hate in the context of being sick of seeing NE win, but this stuff happens. Often. People are just trying to create drama and storylines.

You have mentioned yourself hating Boston and all Boston teams, so you're not exactly unbiased.

I have seen a pretty pompous fan base just south of Boston. Glass houses, you know.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
There are arrogant fans of every winning team, let's not pretend that's a New England-only phenomenon. I understand the hate in the context of being sick of seeing NE win, but this stuff happens. Often. People are just trying to create drama and storylines.

You have mentioned yourself hating Boston and all Boston teams, so you're not exactly unbiased.

I have seen a pretty pompous fan base just south of Boston. Glass houses, you know.

Definitely not unbiased I'll admit that. But I really do beleive there is an extra level of arrogance with that team and it stems from the coach, you even see it when he interacts with the media.... I'm sure most people outside of Boston get a little extra joy out of seeing them lose..... and yes you're right every fan base has a little bit of everything but certain fan bases are known for some things more than others.... And yes NY fans have a lot of negatives.... But that doesnt change my hatred of everything boston :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.