Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Does anyone here really think the price of the rMBP will drop if Apple makes their entire Pro line Retina? Bad example since it's iOS but the iPad has been $500 from the start. Same with the Mini. The only exception I could think of is when Apple dropped the price of the Touch $30 on the 4th generation. So, I ask you, do you think Apple will drop the price? I'm tempted to buy and not going to buy the current version since the product cycle is nearly over , but any penny helps. Well... I get an education discount too. :)

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Yes, I'm expecting it to drop in price once they do away with the non-retina model. As long as both types remain, though, I expect the price to remain relatively steady.

They dropped the price of the MacBook Air when they dropped the old MacBook line (or was it slightly after or slightly before? ...I can't remember now.)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It likely will drop, just as the MacBook Air price dropped significantly in October 2010 (and the specifications improved significantly). I think it will be more pronounced for the 13" versions than the 15" versions, though. $1699 is too high for a volume notebook, so they will probably do everything they can to hit the $1299 mark at some level of capability, with $1499 as the "sweet spot" in terms of power and value.

So the bottom line is that those of us "early adopters" with 13" rMBPs and to a lesser extent 15" rMBPs will see our resale values drop quite a bit. That's nothing new, to which those of us who the early MacBook Airs can attest. And when it does, you can bet that there will be countless threads here from angry 13" rMBP owners complaining how Apple undercut them by selling something better than their $1699/$1999 models for significantly less.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
when the rmbp came out, it was the first of its kind. Therefore, the retina screen was much more expensive. After making it for about a year and other vendors starting to get interested in the tech, I anticipate the price to drop quickly on that part. So, I'd expect a $50+ price drop on that alone. Also, ssd prices have dropped over the last year, so that's probably another $50-100 of savings.

Last edited:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
It likely will drop, just as the MacBook Air price dropped significantly in October 2010 (and the specifications improved significantly). I think it will be more pronounced for the 13" versions than the 15" versions, though. $1699 is too high for a volume notebook, so they will probably do everything they can to hit the $1299 mark at some level of capability, with $1499 as the "sweet spot" in terms of power and value.

So the bottom line is that those of us "early adopters" with 13" rMBPs and to a lesser extent 15" rMBPs will see our resale values drop quite a bit. That's nothing new, to which those of us who the early MacBook Airs can attest. And when it does, you can bet that there will be countless threads here from angry 13" rMBP owners complaining how Apple undercut them by selling something better than their $1699/$1999 models for significantly less.

I don't know about you but I prefer the 15" model. Just needs a spec (and screen) upgrade.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I don't know about you but I prefer the 15" model. Just needs a spec (and screen) upgrade.

I bought the 13" model last month (and the 256GB one that The Verge's review said people shouldn't buy because the 15" is just $200 more). My perspective is different, as I had used MacBook Airs since February 2008. I couldn't see jumping all the way from an 11.6" Air to a 15" rMBP. As it is, the 13" rMBP is taking some getting used to (though I like it a lot).

What sort of screen upgrade do you want? I doubt they will put in a matte display option.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I bought the 13" model last month (and the 256GB one that The Verge's review said people shouldn't buy because the 15" is just $200 more). My perspective is different, as I had used MacBook Airs since February 2008. I couldn't see jumping all the way from an 11.6" Air to a 15" rMBP. As it is, the 13" rMBP is taking some getting used to (though I like it a lot).

What sort of screen upgrade do you want? I doubt they will put in a matte display option.

By screen upgrade, I don't mean size or resolution (although it might happen with the forthcoming rumors). I mean LG/Samsung IR and other screen issues they need to address.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
By screen upgrade, I don't mean size or resolution (although it might happen with the forthcoming rumors). I mean LG/Samsung IR and other screen issues they need to address.

IF that happens it will be within LG or Samsung. As usual you have to look at the big picture with these gadgets. The internet is an easy place for people to come to and complain. Not many people come on here to give good feedback. It's a lot like tabloid news. My rMBP is great but I didn't make a dozen threads to get others to agree. Once a flaw was pointed out everyone started looking for more.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
when the rmbp came out, it was the first of its kind. Therefore, the retina screen was much more expensive. After making it for about a year and other vendors starting to get interested in the tech, I anticipate the price to drop quickly on that part. So, I'd expect at least a $100 price drop on that alone. Also, ssd prices have dropped over the last year, so that's probably another $50-100 of savings.

A $100 price drop on a $100 dollar screen? My math is not working in favor of your argument.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
I don't know if they will drop it just on the supposition that the entire line will be Retina but I;m sure eventually they will drop down but not to the same price the cMBP's are at. I could see maybe a 100-200 dollar drop eventually but nothing significant. It's not like the cMBP was cheap (and actually somewhat more expensive similarly equipped to the Retina)

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
What is a cMBP? I'm still not expecting much of a drop. What about the people that don't need Retina's capabilities? Or people on a tighter budget that still want an Apple computer?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
What is a cMBP? I'm still not expecting much of a drop. What about the people that don't need Retina's capabilities? Or people on a tighter budget that still want an Apple computer?

??? If you can't afford it you shouldn't buy it. There's plenty of things I want but can't afford and I'll either save or find a better alternative in my price range. If you don't need a retina display, there are other computers on the market that are probably more affordable. You can also buy used or refurbed.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
??? If you can't afford it you shouldn't buy it. There's plenty of things I want but can't afford and I'll either save or find a better alternative in my price range. If you don't need a retina display, there are other computers on the market that are probably more affordable. You can also buy used or refurbed.
Talking about society as a whole here....

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Does anyone here really think the price of the rMBP will drop if Apple makes their entire Pro line Retina?

I think the order of causality is somewhat skewed here. Apple won't ditch the cMBP' before the production costs of the retinas come down far enough to be in the same price range (N.B! range, not point). For the moment, the pricing of the retina models contain a significant premium, based as well on the "no one else offers this" -argument as on the fact that some components (LCD panel and SSD to a lesser degree) are not yet established, bulkified technologies.

Remember, apple's ability to negotiate prices is based on three factors: huge cash reserves, being a big buyer and having a lot of comparable oem manufacturers to choose from. In the case of the rMBP's the latter two factors do not yet fully work.

RGDS,

RGDS,

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Does anyone here really think the price of the rMBP will drop if Apple makes their entire Pro line Retina?
No. The 2nd wave of Ivy Bridge processors is not cheap, and the retina displays are also not cheap. Do not forget the price for the new 802.11ac hardware components. I do not see that metals (copper, gold, aluminum) are much cheaper on the market.

So why should the 2nd wave of retina MBPs costs less than the 1st wave? Wishful thinking!?

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I think Apple will once the competition catches up and they do make it only Retina Display for the Macs. The reason while it won't happen for awhile is because there is no need, there's plenty of money still left to make for Apple here until they have a challenge. :rolleyes:

That's how business works.

bbapps

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Texas
so, if apple drops the cMBP and goes all retina... do you think they will continue providing only SSD storage options. seems like apple prices on SSD is what drives the price up.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
so, if apple drops the cMBP and goes all retina... do you think they will continue providing only SSD storage options. seems like apple prices on SSD is what drives the price up.

Maybe 2013 is the year Apple relents a little on SSD prices. Right now, they make as much money selling SSDs as the SSD manufacturers do (probably more).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.