Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If ios7 is just a small upgrade like ios6 was and iOS remains boring I will be switching to BB10 only.

Frankly, I would very much like a 3rd alternative in a mobile OS (WP8 is not doing it for me) but to hope that BB10 is going to be it, is, to me, pie-in-the-sky. With their resources, and the huge exodus of talent, I fully expect it to be half-baked.

With all the apparent manipulation with Apple, I would not be surprised if the 100% rise in RIM stock in recent times is not the archetypal pump and dump.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I used an android phone between the 4 and the 5 last year, and even though it was the most current OS at the time, I just felt more comfortable with IOS. Plus, there were some apps missing that are important to me.

I don't plan on buying the next iPhone. It will have to be some phone to get me to do an early upgrade at the extra cost.

Spor 13

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
I just got a Nexus 4 and honestly, I miss my iPhone 4. Even though the N4 is much faster, I always get the feeling that Android always needs more refinement to the user experience. Also, the quality of apps...although it has gotten a lot better from the last time I had an android phone. iOS may be a bit stale now, but its solid as a rock and everything is refined.

For example, when I first started playing around with the N4, I couldn't believe that Jellybean didn't have lockscreen notifications (I hate lockscreen widgets, just tell me how many unread texts and emails I have. Nor could you have a different lockscreen wallpaper. I actually had to spend a total of $5 on apps to make this happen (Widget Locker and Missed It!).

Another example would be the email client. I started using the Gmail app and while it can render the email properly to fit to screen, pictures don't automatically download. There's no setting for this either. I can only enable automatic picture download on a sender by sender basis. A little annoying, but is this really neccessary?! I tried other apps, and while some are able to display pics automatically, they can't render the email to fit to screen. Who wants to scroll sideways when reading an email?!

These are just 2 of the annoyances that I have come across that may very well make me switch back to the iPhone 4.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
:)
I just got a Nexus 4 and honestly, I miss my iPhone 4. Even though the N4 is much faster, I always get the feeling that Android always needs more refinement to the user experience. Also, the quality of apps...although it has gotten a lot better from the last time I had an android phone. iOS may be a bit stale now, but its solid as a rock and everything is refined.

For example, when I first started playing around with the N4, I couldn't believe that Jellybean didn't have lockscreen notifications (I hate lockscreen widgets, just tell me how many unread texts and emails I have. Nor could you have a different lockscreen wallpaper. I actually had to spend a total of $5 on apps to make this happen (Widget Locker and Missed It!).

Another example would be the email client. I started using the Gmail app and while it can render the email properly to fit to screen, pictures don't automatically download. There's no setting for this either. I can only enable automatic picture download on a sender by sender basis. A little annoying, but is this really neccessary?! I tried other apps, and while some are able to display pics automatically, they can't render the email to fit to screen. Who wants to scroll sideways when reading an email?!

These are just 2 of the annoyances that I have come across that may very well make me switch back to the iPhone 4.

I couldn't possibly agree with you more;)

The incredible stability, simplicity, and refinement of iOS will always keep me an iPhone person. No matter what features android has, it will never compare to iOS. :apple::cool:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I like iOS enough to stay with it but probably not enough to go out and buy a new iPhone unless I had to. I just don't feel like iOS is going to places that interest me anymore.

I have iOS 5 at the moment. Very happy with it.
It works.

Psycho Mantis

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
California
I probably will stick with my iPhone, but I will also be picking up an unlocked Xperia Z when it's released. I could never bring myself to get used to Touchwiz with Samsung, or their 'cheap' feeling phones. I've always had Sony Ericssons in the past and now they have finally brought the styling and build quality that I used to love.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Firstly hello everybody this is my first post here :)

I am presently on my first iPhone. After watching my wife use them for years I decided when my contract ran out in September to take the plunge, so I pre-ordered the iPhone 5. Its the 32GB in White. Although I pre-ordered it, I didn't receive it until the third week after the iPhone had been released, but having said that I was lucky I didn't have any scratches or issues. I'm very impressed with how it handles and its stability overall. I came being an Android user and so glad I did right now at this moment in time.

I suppose to answer the question of the thread, I would have to say 'I don't know?' I have to agree with some people and say Apple haven't really made any massive leaps forward since the 4S in my opinion but it was enough to tempt me to the iPhone. I would like to see more innovative features being included within the next couple of years and won't rule out trying another brand. I've had several Android handsets and I think they have raised the bar certainly over the past 12 months. I like the simplicity of iOS, but with Android and their manufacturers pushing the market further with constant innovation, I think Apple should at least try and compete on their level. Right now I am very happy with my iPhone and its by far the best phone I have owned. I've never just stuck to one brand and enjoy buying what takes my fancy. :)

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Probably skipping the 5S, but will most likely stick with Apple's phones indefinitely as it's syncs/works etc easier with my Mac, and to a lesser extent, my tablet.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Going Samsung if iOS 7 disappoints.

Right now I'm almost 70% leaning towards Android.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
stay with iPhone 5

I completely agree with you. With the next Samsung Galaxy phone coming out, they will blow the iPhone out of the market. I was afraid of this. Now that Steve Jobs is gone, there is no one at Apple with his insight to the future. Apple will continue with minor updates and its miniscule screen size until all users will need magnifying glasses to read the screen. Meanwhile other phone makers will have 5.5 - 6 inch screens that are practical to use. Sorry Apple.:(

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Going Samsung if iOS 7 disappoints.

Right now I'm almost 70% leaning towards Android.

Addition features are alway welcome, but IMO speed, stability, security and battery life should remain the primary focus of iOS development. Right now iOS is top of the line in the areas that matter most to me. I will gladly sacrifice widgets and NFC for battery life and stability.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
It's a big pain to switch but even BB10 is looking more interesting these days.

Honestly, I think Apple is a little complacent these days and I wouldn't expect that they think anything major needs to change.
What I'd like to see is more reports of people who travel as much as I used to - to Europe.

With the BB I used for years - simply get off the plane - purchase cheap local pre-paid sim cards right at the airport -
and now have a local Amsterdam phone number.
Drive into Germany - flip out sim on the fly - at any gas station - just too damn simple.

If you return w/i 3 months - you can still use the balance of what was not used. It worked perfect.
I kept folded over post-it notes in wallet with different sim cards stuck in place.

I really doubt anyone from the US uses their iPhone in Europe -
and pays less than 50 euros a month on average use.

You might be told before you go there - that it's US$1.00 a minute -
But it's a flat out lie - it's no less than $5 a minute while roaming with US plan.

Going to Australia - I kept iPhone in suitcase - simply purchased cheap phone w/local sim.
At end of tour - just give the phone away.

Last edited:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I agree iOS is stale, been the same since 07, but at the time, Android until ICS 4.0 was junk.

One thing that pisses me off is the fact that storage costs Apple only .41 cents per GB and yet the iPhone 5 16GB I have after iOS only leaves me with a mere 13.4 GB afterwards? It should be 16 GB and they need to include a little more for their iOS because without an SD card slot, it is getting annoying constantly removing photos or music, or having to spend an additional $100 to jump to 32 and $200 to 64

Make the 32GB base then 64, then 128 for 199, 299, 399, you already make twice your cost on the phone, give people something back please.

I think Android ICS or JB will really challenge Apple this time around, they are smooth and stable, just that the developers prefer to develop for iOS, so until Android gets some more, it will be neck and neck.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
100% going with Android if and only if the nexus devices come with either a microsd slot or at least 32 gb of onboard memory. 16gb is too restrictive.
I've been harping on the 5" screens being too big and not pocketable, but I realize now that it's a lost cause and I'll forever be left behind if I don't adapt. I'll have to use two hands to operate a smartphone now.
I simply don't think that Apple's value proposition is favorable anymore. I used to value premium design and components. Now I do not. The cheaper alternatives are darn close to the Apple's design/fit finish and in some cases better (HTC's phones are better built, period), and once I cede that Apple no longer has the best hardware, then I don't really have any leg left to stand on since I feel like iOS is feature-deficient at this point. It has nothing to do with the look and feel and just changing for the sake of change.
Android is clearly hungry, and they want it more. I reward that kind of hustle. No one stays on top forever, and you can bet that will go for Android once it becomes the crystal clear top dog in 2013.

Last edited:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
IMHO if Apple doesn't update the iOS and really improve the phone by leaps and bounds, I think there might be a lot of defections to Samsung as it is a much better competitor to Apple and it really is a sleek and smooth phone.

I think there are those who will stay with Apple no matter what, then there are those always looking for the bigger and better deal, those who hate Apple, and those who will hope Apple goes big but are looking for features like SD slot that Apple does not allow.

It will be interesting, as they always seem to sell a lot, although the 5 is slowing down in sales.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Had an iPhone 3gs, 2 iPhone 4's and now a 5. In between those I had androids. I love the iPhone and the way the whole ecosystem ties together, but I'm bored with the operating system in general. I've finally decided that I'm going to buy a nexus and just keep both phones.

I do agree that android is alot more polished after ICS than it was before, I could never stand how much less smooth it was than the iPhone. As for buying another, I guess we will see what it brings. iOS 7 should run on the 5 fine so I may not buy anything else for awhile.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Yes, I will be staying with the iPhone.

1. Because the iPhone integrates beautifully with both the iPad and MacBook Air. So much easier to sync between the devices that I already have compared to the Galaxy Note 2. (My mom has the Note 2 and I have to troubleshoot it all the time for her, really does not play nice with her MacBook Air).

2. Because I actually love the stability, reliability and ease of use of iOS. Pick up any iOS device and functionality of the OS is pretty much the same, just love the consistency of it. Even though I had perviously owned the HTC sensation, Acer Iconia tab, Asus Pad-phone with tablet dock and also the Galaxy Note, I still encounter situations where I am completely unfamiliar with the interface while trying to troubleshoot my mom's Galaxy Note 2.

3. Because I love the apple Eco system. Music, movies, apps and books that I purchase while on older devices and all readily available to me today on my iPhone 5. Totally hassle free. Can't say I had the same experience moving from one android device to another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.