Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Every person that buys an iPhone has the opportunity to buy an android phone. Just because people don't buy an alternative, doesn't mean they haven't considered the alternatives.

And I am sure there are people who buy android phones without having considered an iPhone. Does this mean people are admitting that the current state of Android fragmentation is "good enough"?

If somebody is ignorant to Android - then that says a lot about the (lack of) good marketing of the manufacturers of Android devices.
Nope. It says a lot about being immersed in the Apple ecosystem and force of habit that you don't feel the need to look at options.

And I don't really see the knee-jerk defending of Android in Android forums like I see here regarding iOS. I was reading a thread, I think over in Android Central, where someone brought up that the iPhone had the feature or whatever it was they were asking about. I was thinking "oh god here it comes." Instead it was more like "oh cool I will check it out" (and similar from several people). That would not have happened here. Seems a lot more close-minded. This thread is evidence of that.

And what I too used to sarcastically call fragmentation I now see as choice. Choice in models I did not have with Apple. Already I am wanting a Note 2.

Michael

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
Also, look at the amount of reports of people installing ios6 onto their 3gs and it becoming sluggish....
That's Huge right there - Everytime I take my 3Gs into iTunes - it relentlessly tries to jam i6 down my throat - as it also tries with my iPad1.
Neither device can handle it with the hardware inside.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
Nope. It says a lot about being immersed in the Apple ecosystem and force of habit that you don't feel the need to look at options.
Seems a lot more close-minded. This thread is evidence of that.

And what I too used to sarcastically call fragmentation I now see as choice. Choice in models I did not have with Apple.
Michael
Absolutely Correct -
No different than Harley owners - They will not step foot in a Honda shop.
Same Mantra.
It's not a bad thing - just clueless.

It's fun watching them walk around my Scoot - they circle it over & over trying to figure out what it is.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
It's time to move on from this thread. There were some fair points, and some not so fair.

Either way, there's no convincing them until Apple does it first. If it's not Apple, then it's not necessary and/or not ready. Of course, if Apple introduces new technology, they're pushing the frontier and leading the industry (Thunderbolt, anyone?).

Apple wins, even when they lose. Everyone else just jumps the gun or makes mistakes.

You've got it completely wrong.

Instead of whinging about missing features I look for alternatives. Whinging will get me nowhere. Apple will probably never add the features I want.

The other thing is that I think about whether I want that feature for the sake of having it or whether I'll actually use it. There aren't many things I want my phone to do that it can't already. I would like a phone that supports mobile payments once that's more popular here. I want Passbook to be supported in more apps and more places. I'd like text messages to be synced over iCloud too, even to iPads, and I'd like to be able to send text messages using the iPad (which uses the iPhone).

My life isn't going to end if they're not added, so I don't waste any time dwelling on them.

I guess forcing people to use iTunes is way more easier than allowing them access to a file system.........

Oh, but wait, that way Apple makes sure EVERYONE is forced to use iTunes and that way maybe they'll start buying their music, movies, etc from there.

Very clever Apple, very clever...

Hm.. Spotify, Pandora + other Radio apps, Amazon Cloud Player etc etc.

Plus they may force you to use iTunes to transfer from computer, but you can transfer any music file, it doesn't have to be bought from iTunes.

Your conspiracy theory falls flat whichever way you look at it, I'm afraid.

I think it's more likely that they didn't want customers calling them all the time saying "I used XYZ app to transfer my files and it's all gone to crap, what do I do now..." etc. At least with iTunes they can assist.

----------

And I don't really see the knee-jerk defending of Android in Android forums like I see here regarding iOS. I was reading a thread, I think over in Android Central, where someone brought up that the iPhone had the feature or whatever it was they were asking about. I was thinking "oh god here it comes." Instead it was more like "oh cool I will check it out" (and similar from several people). That would not have happened here. Seems a lot more close-minded. This thread is evidence of that.

And what I too used to sarcastically call fragmentation I now see as choice. Choice in models I did not have with Apple. Already I am wanting a Note 2.

Michael

That's because Android is discussed on Android forums. It's completely different to here. On the Android forums I visit iOS is hardly ever mentioned, yet Android is always mentioned here... and not just in the alternatives forum.

It's like some people feel the need to force their views onto others.

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Choosing Android (or something else) is exactly what some of us are doing. But some don't even consider anything else, even if there are benefits, which sends a message to Apple that things are "good enough." As the competition gets better and better even they might consider switching--as I have done with my iPhone to Nexus (to the shock of most who know me). My fear is when the pendulum starts swinging the other way it might be too late for Apple.

In my case I was pretty darned ignorant about Android till I got the Nexus 4. I assumed it was a big mess, slow and stuttering, malware galore, few apps.. basically I was thinking of Android as it was in 1.0. I just assumed my shiny iPhone was better. But, when I started using the Nexus, each day I ran across something that made me think, "wow would I have liked this on iOS!" I didn't really know what I was missing. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

But I would LOVE to have the hardware quality and Apple "feel" in an iOS device that does similar. It really would not take all that much and it can be done without hurting anyone else's desire for things to remain simple.

Used three Android phones prior to the iPhone 5 (HTC Desire, Galaxy S2 and Galaxy S3), with all Android versions from Eclair to Jelly Bean (except Honeycomb) and there's also a Nexus 7 I can use any time, although it's not mine. I prefer iOS.

I think this is the year the shine starts coming off the Apple, at least if they don't hit a home run soon. With the Jobs era fading, management turnovers, production cut rumors, maps debacle, and fixation with lawsuits I just don't get a positive feeling.

Michael

Doomsayers are always predicting this, or the end of the world, or whatever, but you know what? They're always wrong. iOS has a place in the market and suits a particular kind of user. It's not going anywhere so get used to it.

The first iPhone sold like hotcakes and that was missing multitasking, copy and paste, amongst other features that are now integral parts of every smartphone.

Some people are happy with what they've got, believe it or not. We don't all desperately need new features.

My iPhone can make calls, send and receive messages, view my calendar, send and receive email, take pictures, access the internet, remind me about things, I can use it over bluetooth in my car, I can watch videos and manage my photos on it, can download and listen to music.

WHY would I desperately need it to do anything else? I am happy with what it can do; the main features I want adding are for convenience's sake rather than any gaping hole in the feature set.

The thing that I like the most is that it appears to be ALMOST bug free, at least for what I use it for. I sometimes get blank stores, occasional app crashes, but for the vast majority of the time everything I do on it "just works."

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
That's because Android is discussed on Android forums. It's completely different to here. On the Android forums I visit iOS is hardly ever mentioned, yet Android is always mentioned here... and not just in the alternatives forum.

It's like some people feel the need to force their views onto others.

Thats because this site is a Mac site, not an ios site. So people will have Macs and Android, iPads and Android, iPods and Androids etc

Im sure if you browse PC based sites you will see people discussing ios and not just Windows Mobile etc etc

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Thats because this site is a Mac site, not an ios site. So people will have Macs and Android, iPads and Android, iPods and Androids etc

Im sure if you browse PC based sites you will see people discussing ios and not just Windows Mobile etc etc

Right but Android is mentioned a lot in the iPhone, iOS and iPad forums...

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Apple will probably never add the features I want.

It is folly (and dangerous depending on the subject) to think people can't inspire change. Worse, that people shouldn't even try to.

The other thing is that I think about whether I want that feature for the sake of having it or whether I'll actually use it. There aren't many things I want my phone to do that it can't already. I would like a phone that supports mobile payments once that's more popular here. I want Passbook to be supported in more apps and more places. I'd like text messages to be synced over iCloud too, even to iPads, and I'd like to be able to send text messages using the iPad (which uses the iPhone).

The concept of choice is really lost on you. Truly.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
It is folly (and dangerous depending on the subject) to think people can't inspire change. Worse, that people shouldn't even try to.

I don't want to inspire change because I'm happy with the iPhone as it is.

Nope. I CHOSE to buy my iPhone. I get the concept just fine, thank you.

I'm just not going to ask for features I don't really care about. I don't need to be able to access the file system or attach files to emails. I don't need widgets. Etc...

Widgets were cool on Android and I used them a lot when they were there, but I don't miss them. I never think "Damn, I wish I had widgets."

What part of "I'm happy with it as is" is hard to understand? :confused:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

He has choice. If he wants NFC - he can choose an android phone with it. If he wants a Windows phone he can choose. If I want to use the Apple ecosystem, have everything easily synced but limited control, I can choose an iPhone.

My choice is something that's simple, does things easily, and isn't overcrowded with features that I might use once in a blue moon. That's as much of a valid choice as yours.

I don't think it's him that the true meaning of choice is lost on.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm just not going to ask for features I don't really care about.

Fair enough. What do you gain from stopping others to try to make change happen?

----------

He has choice. If he wants NFC - he can choose an android phone with it. If he wants a Windows phone he can choose. If I want to use the Apple ecosystem, have everything easily synced but limited control, I can choose an iPhone.

My choice is something that's simple, does things easily, and isn't overcrowded with features that I might use once in a blue moon. That's as much of a valid choice as yours.

I don't think it's him that the true meaning of choice is lost on.

If this is the game to play then when does it stop? Then we don't ever have to call for a company to improve anything as long as another company is doing it.

Again, it is folly to think this way.

All right, I take me leave for real now.

Good luck, all.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Fair enough. What do you gain from stopping others to try to make change happen?

I haven't tried to do that; the only way I could do that is by hacking Apples feedback system!

If people post their ideas on a public message board then they open themselves up to criticism.

I like iOS as it is and don't want it to drastically change, so if somebody starts talking about features that will drastically change it, I will voice my opinions about it.

I don't mind if Apple wants to add a visible file system, widgets, etc, so long as the current methods of doing things work still.

It's like somebody coming along and asking Google to change some feature you really like, you're not going to agree with it just for the sake of change.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This thread is so damn dramatic.....

These are phones guys....the way some of you post, you'd think we were planning the American Revolution.

I hate to break it to you - this isn't that important. Apple (and the other OEMs) have their strategy as far as updates, software etc. go. To say we need to "voice our displeasure" and "be the voice of change" is absolutely ludicrous....

We aren't fighting for civil rights here - we're talking about, arguably superfluous, features of a still somewhat luxury device.

There are those who prefer the way Apple does things and the relatively controlled way they go about bringing changes. Why is this so bad? If you don't like it, move on to another system. Android brings changes all the damn time - sometimes whether the tech is ready/necessary or not. You have the choice between these platforms and the way they do things.

As for Apple changing - those of you who over-dramatize the lack of changes in iOS and the iPhone need to get a grip. The 5 is almost 3X faster than the 4S. Apple has added significant features to iOS over the years including iCloud, Siri, Maps and various developer tools. Are these things "firsts"? No. Who gives a damn if they're firsts. Frankly, I'd rather a technology mature before I put it in a device I use daily and count on to work.

I get it - you're bored with the look of iOS. Wah wah wah....change for the sake of change isn't something everyone wants. So as I said - you pick your platform and I'll pick mine.

And if Apple really does do something terrible to the iPhone or iOS (and I mean legitimate, not what most of you overreact to), the public will vote with their wallets and Apple will do something dramatic. As a content iPhone user, I'll continue using iOS until it no longer suits my needs. And if/when it doesn't? Guess what.....I can CHOOSE a different phone maker/OS. Because they exist.

----------

I haven't tried to do that; the only way I could do that is by hacking Apples feedback system!

If people post their ideas on a public message board then they open themselves up to criticism.

I like iOS as it is and don't want it to drastically change, so if somebody starts talking about features that will drastically change it, I will voice my opinions about it.

I don't mind if Apple wants to add a visible file system, widgets, etc, so long as the current methods of doing things work still.

It's like somebody coming along and asking Google to change some feature you really like, you're not going to agree with it just for the sake of change.

Bro - I really don't think there's any sense in using logic with some of these folks.....they'll continue to see mobile devices and OSes as some important civil rights cause they need to fight and voice their opinions for.....

Choice exists in the various OSes and OEMs in the market. All of them improve their products each year - including Apple. If you don't like the way one company is moving their line - switch. Simple as that. These guys don't understand this concept.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
I want REAL BOOKMARKS - not fake - non alphabetic nonsense that doesn't require Safari to view them.
Try to add a bookmark - and not see 5000 Child vs 50 Parent.
Who the heck designed such a worthless system with no clear options.

Now scroll through that pile with phone and not look ridiculous. On 3Gs unit anyway.

At least years ago with Microsoft - any option was game - if it still is.

I won't even mention the worthless calendar & notepad app.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This thread is so damn dramatic.....

These are phones guys....the way some of you post, you'd think we were planning the American Revolution.

I hate to break it to you - this isn't that important. Apple (and the other OEMs) have their strategy as far as updates, software etc. go. To say we need to "voice our displeasure" and "be the voice of change" is absolutely ludicrous....

We aren't fighting for civil rights here - we're talking about, arguably superfluous, features of a still somewhat luxury device.

There are those who prefer the way Apple does things and the relatively controlled way they go about bringing changes. Why is this so bad? If you don't like it, move on to another system. Android brings changes all the damn time - sometimes whether the tech is ready/necessary or not. You have the choice between these platforms and the way they do things.

As for Apple changing - those of you who over-dramatize the lack of changes in iOS and the iPhone need to get a grip. The 5 is almost 3X faster than the 4S. Apple has added significant features to iOS over the years including iCloud, Siri, Maps and various developer tools. Are these things "firsts"? No. Who gives a damn if they're firsts. Frankly, I'd rather a technology mature before I put it in a device I use daily and count on to work.

I get it - you're bored with the look of iOS. Wah wah wah....change for the sake of change isn't something everyone wants. So as I said - you pick your platform and I'll pick mine.

And if Apple really does do something terrible to the iPhone or iOS (and I mean legitimate, not what most of you overreact to), the public will vote with their wallets and Apple will do something dramatic. As a content iPhone user, I'll continue using iOS until it no longer suits my needs. And if/when it doesn't? Guess what.....I can CHOOSE a different phone maker/OS. Because they exist.

----------

Bro - I really don't think there's any sense in using logic with some of these folks.....they'll continue to see mobile devices and OSes as some important civil rights cause they need to fight and voice their opinions for.....

Choice exists in the various OSes and OEMs in the market. All of them improve their products each year - including Apple. If you don't like the way one company is moving their line - switch. Simple as that. These guys don't understand this concept.

This is a forum about phones, macs, and other consumer electronic products....what do you expect?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Exactly. I don't see the point in continually whining about a product. If it's not good enough, use something else!

Wanting features added is one thing, but continually harping on about it is something else entirely.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
I'd expect people to have a least remotely normal priorities? Although you're right....I don't know why I'm surprised when I read some of these posts.

Maybe electronics and mobile devices are a big hobby of his and discussing it in his free time on the internet is something he enjoys. You are making it seem like he running around with a 1770s style militia with muskets hijacking Chinese freighters and dumping the Apple products in the ocean. Just discussions on an online forum about electronics not the California Apple Cider party.

Onthecouchagain gets passionate. I am sure you get passionate about certain things that we might find strange too.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Maybe electronics and mobile devices are a big hobby of his and discussing it in his free time on the internet is something he enjoys. You are making it seem like he running around with a 1770s style militia with muskets hijacking Chinese freighters and dumping the Apple products in the ocean. Just discussions on an online forum about electronics not the California Apple Cider party.

Based on previous posts - it wouldn't surprise me to learn he participated in said activities.....

Hey tech is a big hobby of mine as well.....but to insinuate that the only way we can get Apple to change its oppressive nature is by banding together and voicing our discontent is a little over-the-top....especially when there are hundreds of millions of people who actually like Apple's iteration of the smartphone.

Again, we're talking smartphones here and features that could add a few saved seconds of convenience - not whether or not to revolt over taxation without representation. There are also choices - its not like its Apple or nothing....

I applaud the enthusiasm - just feel its a little misplaced, and don't appreciate the assumptions that those of us who actually like what Apple currently offers are against choice/improvement or are too stupid to recognize what we're missing.....which is never said, but almost always insinuated.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Based on previous posts - it wouldn't surprise me to learn he participated in said activities.....

Hey tech is a big hobby of mine as well.....but to insinuate that the only way we can get Apple to change its oppressive nature is by banding together and voicing our discontent is a little over-the-top....especially when there are hundreds of millions of people who actually like Apple's iteration of the smartphone.

Again, we're talking smartphones here and features that could add a few saved seconds of convenience - not whether or not to revolt over taxation without representation. There are also choices - its not like its Apple or nothing....

I applaud the enthusiasm - just feel its a little misplaced, and don't appreciate the assumptions that those of us who actually like what Apple currently offers are against choice/improvement or are too stupid to recognize what we're missing.....which is never said, but almost always insinuated.

C'mon you know you are itching to fight the repressive regime that is Apple over their Cider Tax on their products. Viva la revolucion!

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
I am sure RIM had the same idea.

Yes they did... Not saying it's a winning model but apple has there hands in enough stuff if the iphone truly goes south they can fall back on their other profits till they get it worked out... I don't really know for sure but I don't think rim made anything but the blackberries.

Pfilly

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
Excuse the grammar and punctuation (typing from an iPhone).

I used to carry a Blackberry with an iPod touch and couldn't get an iphone on the Verizon network for the longest time. When the "Droids" came out I jumped on them right away and became a huge android fanboy. Oh man, the Droids were so anti apple, kool to customize, and came with awesome hardware. You apple fanboys were "left in the dust" with my google maps with free navigation! A quick run through of android phones I've owned:

HTC Droid Eris
Original Droid
Droid Incredible (three of them, maybe 4)
Droid 2
Droid X2

I finally got an Apple iphone 4 and for 2 weeks was frustrated that it didn't do the things I wanted it to do. There was no back button on the iphone, there was no turn by turn google maps, no app drawer, no widgets, etc. then suddenly, after the 2 weeks of banging my head, I started to like it. The apps were prettier and try worked, all my movies and music was in iTunes on the computer, the battery lasted forever, my email was all in one spot, accessories galore because manufacturers didnt have to make new accesories every other month for new handsets! I had an epiphany! This phone was just good!

Like an jerkhole, I saw the pure android experience come back to Verizon on google's most promising handset yet...Galaxy Nexus! Time for me to see if anyone wanted to trade for my iPhone and I thought "sucker!" I get awesome android back an I get to try ice cream sandwich (google's best iteration yet) and soon to be jelly bean.

One day with Android and it sucked. Sure the screen was bigger but the colors were so ugly. Ice cream sandwich was fast but it wasn't water like the iphone. 2 days later I traded someone on Craigslist for my iphone back. This time I got an iPhone 4S and all was well.

Jelly bean came out for the galaxy nexus not long in mid or maybe late last year with promises of a buttery smooth iphone like experience. Of course I had to try it out! Yes it's buttery, yes it was kool, yes it was futuristic! It just didn't feel like an iphone. It was ugly, the apps were ugly, the keyboard was ugly, I grew out of hacking and rooting my phones evaluate I didn't really need to with the iphone. The apps were horrible! The experience was jarring and somehow some way found someone to trade for an iphone once again.

I get bored with my iphone at times but now I know better. I'm not a young hacker who likes to overclock my CPU anymore. I don't need to customize my widgets in a specific manner to accommodate my information. I just need it to feel good to me. Android used to make me feel that way and I think it was because I didn't know any better. But now, even when I think the grass is greener on the other side, I know it's not.

If you want an android phone then by all means have at it. If you end up liking it, great! I'm not hating! I love iMessage, I love that it works, I love the apple ecosystem. I really don't care for a giant screen and I don't need to customize every inch of my phone. Not anymore.

chewietobbacca

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I think people would be surprised by how often people upgrade to the next generation without thinking about it. A coworker of mine picked up the Note 2 after owning the iPhone 5 for only a few months... prior to playing with a friends' Note 2 which prompted them to switch, they said that they didn't even give much thought to any other device since they had owned iPhones previously.

Likewise, being tied to contract's / what the family chooses to use is another reason people often stick with one way or another

Excuse the grammar and punctuation (typing from an iPhone).

I used to carry a Blackberry with an iPod touch and couldn't get an iphone on the Verizon network for the longest time. When the "Droids" came out I jumped on them right away and became a huge android fanboy. Oh man, the Droids were so anti apple, kool to customize, and came with awesome hardware. You apple fanboys were "left in the dust" with my google maps with free navigation! A quick run through of android phones I've owned:

HTC Droid Eris
Original Droid
Droid Incredible (three of them, maybe 4)
Droid 2
Droid X2

I finally got an Apple iphone 4 and for 2 weeks was frustrated that it didn't do the things I wanted it to do. There was no back button on the iphone, there was no turn by turn google maps, no app drawer, no widgets, etc. then suddenly, after the 2 weeks of banging my head, I started to like it. The apps were prettier and try worked, all my movies and music was in iTunes on the computer, the battery lasted forever, my email was all in one spot, accessories galore because manufacturers didnt have to make new accesories every other month for new handsets! I had an epiphany! This phone was just good!

Like an jerkhole, I saw the pure android experience come back to Verizon on google's most promising handset yet...Galaxy Nexus! Time for me to see if anyone wanted to trade for my iPhone and I thought "sucker!" I get awesome android back an I get to try ice cream sandwich (google's best iteration yet) and soon to be jelly bean.

One day with Android and it sucked. Sure the screen was bigger but the colors were so ugly. Ice cream sandwich was fast but it wasn't water like the iphone. 2 days later I traded someone on Craigslist for my iphone back. This time I got an iPhone 4S and all was well.

Jelly bean came out for the galaxy nexus not long in mid or maybe late last year with promises of a buttery smooth iphone like experience. Of course I had to try it out! Yes it's buttery, yes it was kool, yes it was futuristic! It just didn't feel like an iphone. It was ugly, the apps were ugly, the keyboard was ugly, I grew out of hacking and rooting my phones evaluate I didn't really need to with the iphone. The apps were horrible! The experience was jarring and somehow some way found someone to trade for an iphone once again.

I get bored with my iphone at times but now I know better. I'm not a young hacker who likes to overclock my CPU anymore. I don't need to customize my widgets in a specific manner to accommodate my information. I just need it to feel good to me. Android used to make me feel that way and I think it was because I didn't know any better. But now, even when I think the grass is greener on the other side, I know it's not.

If you want an android phone then by all means have at it. If you end up liking it, great! I'm not hating! I love iMessage, I love that it works, I love the apple ecosystem. I really don't care for a giant screen and I don't need to customize every inch of my phone. Not anymore.

That's great - but of course, since those phones you listed have come out and since the GNex (a good phone, but not great by any means) was released, the big guns like the S3, Note 2, One X/X+, Nexus 4, etc. have all come out which are very different experiences. And I do mean experiences - there's no need for overclocking/modifying any of those phones to get an awesome out-of-the-box experience: but you can do it, if you want to. Now consider the other side... what has Apple come out with in that timeframe? The iPhone 5 and iOS6?

That brings up an interesting point though - a lot of it is timing. If you jumped after years with Android devices when most Android phones were stuck in the 2.x era and went to the iPhone 4/4S, you'd probably have a very different experience than someone who stayed with the iPhone through 4/5 then jumped to Jelly Bean loaded Android devices.

For example, my company was offering the iPhone 5 or S3 for employees. A few jumped on the iPhone 5 as they were in the Apple ecosystem already. I showed off my Note 2 to one of them today and asked them how they were liking the jump from their iPhone 4 to 5... they said "honestly there isn't any difference" and concluded with "but I'm tied to the Apple ecosystem and can't leave." They asked how the Note 2 was, and I showed them multi-window mode, the smooth JB interface, Google Now, the new Google voice search/typing, etc. and they said "wow, I had no idea Android was like that now"

ivtecDOu

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2008
mass
I'd still rather have the nexus than an iphone 5 for it being such an older phone its still not bad.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I think people would be surprised by how often people upgrade to the next generation without thinking about it. A coworker of mine picked up the Note 2 after owning the iPhone 5 for only a few months... prior to playing with a friends' Note 2 which prompted them to switch, they said that they didn't even give much thought to any other device since they had owned iPhones previously.

Likewise, being tied to contract's / what the family chooses to use is another reason people often stick with one way or another

That's great - but of course, since those phones you listed have come out and since the GNex (a good phone, but not great by any means) was released, the big guns like the S3, Note 2, One X/X+, Nexus 4, etc. have all come out which are very different experiences. And I do mean experiences - there's no need for overclocking/modifying any of those phones to get an awesome out-of-the-box experience: but you can do it, if you want to. Now consider the other side... what has Apple come out with in that timeframe? The iPhone 5 and iOS6?

That brings up an interesting point though - a lot of it is timing. If you jumped after years with Android devices when most Android phones were stuck in the 2.x era and went to the iPhone 4/4S, you'd probably have a very different experience than someone who stayed with the iPhone through 4/5 then jumped to Jelly Bean loaded Android devices.

For example, my company was offering the iPhone 5 or S3 for employees. A few jumped on the iPhone 5 as they were in the Apple ecosystem already. I showed off my Note 2 to one of them today and asked them how they were liking the jump from their iPhone 4 to 5... they said "honestly there isn't any difference" and concluded with "but I'm tied to the Apple ecosystem and can't leave." They asked how the Note 2 was, and I showed them multi-window mode, the smooth JB interface, Google Now, the new Google voice search/typing, etc. and they said "wow, I had no idea Android was like that now"

The 4 had a single core processor. The 5 has a better, faster, dual core processor. That alone should make quite a difference from the 4 to 5. Even more so if they're on a network which supports LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.