Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circa7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
I've been using a Logitech mx518 for years which is smooth as butter on ANY surface. However, my new mighty mouse feels like it's sliding on fine sand paper and makes a super loud noise. Not good. Are they all like this? If so, wtf? Can anyone recommend a good mouse pad that's smooth and not noisy?

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
The mouse sits on two black teflon rails. Check the rails, and check if the battery cover is loose. You can image.google magic mouse bottom to see what I'm talking about.

circa7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
The mouse sits on two black teflon rails. Check the rails, and check if the battery cover is loose. You can image.google magic mouse bottom to see what I'm talking about.

What should I be looking for? The two rails seem OK, but it is not smooth. Are they supposed to be? Or is a mouse pad completely necessary with these mice?

Gator Bob

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
What should I be looking for? The two rails seem OK, but it is not smooth. Are they supposed to be? Or is a mouse pad completely necessary with these mice?

I've always used a mouse pad but the Magic Mouse is exceptionally smooth.

circa7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
I've always used a mouse pad but the Magic Mouse is exceptionally smooth.

Thanks. I put a mouse pad under it and it is a little smoother, but the mouse keeps lagging every so slightly which drives me nuts. It may be the mouse pad, but why would a "high end" mouse be so damn picky? I have an old piece of junk mouse that works on literally any surface.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Perhaps something is wrong with yours. Mine is every bit as smooth as any other mouse that I've used.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
What do you mean by smooth? It doesn't seem like you were using a high dpi mouse before, so I'm inclined to agree with other posters that yours has a defect, rather than that you're just experiencing its relatively lower tracking ability, which should be perfect smooth and acceptable depending on what you're used to. I certainly would not consider the MM to be a high end mouse, but rather a specialized one whose main offering is multitouch, though at the expensive of ergonomics and performance.

Is the multitouch important to you? If it is, then obviously, keep the mouse and get a replacement, but if not, consider getting a gaming mouse. I'm not a big gamer and don't play much (or really at all anymore), but the improved tracking makes a huge difference just in everyday use. I recommend it for everyone regardless of whether they game or not.

Edit: On second thought, do you have a strong BT connection? It could be an issue of it dropping out sporadically.

circa7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
What do you mean by smooth? It doesn't seem like you were using a high dpi mouse before, so I'm inclined to agree with other posters that yours has a defect, rather than that you're just experiencing its relatively lower tracking ability, which should be perfect smooth and acceptable depending on what you're used to. I certainly would not consider the MM to be a high end mouse, but rather a specialized one whose main offering is multitouch, though at the expensive of ergonomics and performance.

Is the multitouch important to you? If it is, then obviously, keep the mouse and get a replacement, but if not, consider getting a gaming mouse. I'm not a big gamer and don't play much (or really at all anymore), but the improved tracking makes a huge difference just in everyday use. I recommend it for everyone regardless of whether they game or not.

Edit: On second thought, do you have a strong BT connection? It could be an issue of it dropping out sporadically.

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro and it sits about 8 inches away from the mouse. My other mouse is definitely more responsive. Im going to buy a wireless logitech MX to see how it stacks up.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I have a 2012 MacBook Pro and it sits about 8 inches away from the mouse. My other mouse is definitely more responsive. Im going to buy a wireless logitech MX to see how it stacks up.

Yeah, yours is probably defective, Apple should give you a replacement or refund without issue. I'm not a fan of the Magic Mouse, but it's not inherently "bad" at anything except ergonomics. If you are after a regular mouse and not one with multitouch, I strongly recommend you look elsewhere like Logitech for performance and price too (also, Logitech might have the best customer service of all time... they even replace things years and years after purchase).

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009

Very true, good find, but I guess I have both a philosophical problem with having to make adjustments just to have the mouse be usable for me (others may have no problem with it or its ergonomics) and if I'm going to do this, I might as well just get a different mouse with better tracking to boot. The multitouch I think is a necessary requirement or a desired trait for some people, in which case, you're stuck with this as your only choice, but I don't require it myself.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Very true, good find, but I guess I have both a philosophical problem with having to make adjustments just to have the mouse be usable for me (others may have no problem with it or its ergonomics) and if I'm going to do this, I might as well just get a different mouse with better tracking to boot. The multitouch I think is a necessary requirement or a desired trait for some people, in which case, you're stuck with this as your only choice, but I don't require it myself.

I have a MBP with a Magic Mouse, but I honestly use the trackpad 10x as often. Best trackpad I have ever used.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I couldn't find anything from Apple saying it's Teflon. The Magic Mouse slides nowhere as smooth as my Logitech G9x, it just seems like plastic to me.
The Magic Mouse's DPI from some sources I've read is only 1300DPI which is pretty bad if you're used to extremely fast tracking like I am. Switching to the Magic Mouse was just painfully slow, but the gestures made up for it. You could try setting the tracking speed higher, but you loose accuracy when doing so.

(also, Logitech might have the best customer service of all time... they even replace things years and years after purchase).

I can vouch for that. I just wanted to give Logitech a heads-up that my G9's scroll wheel had rusted... this was around 2.5 years and everything else was working perfectly. 2 exchanged emails later and I got a brand new G9x in the mail which I'm using now!

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I think I understand what you mean by "sand-paper" feeling when moving it. But it's really not a problem with me. It all depends on the type of surface it's being used on. I'm guessing you're on a wooden surface since the glass surface would not have this issue.

As far is the mouse being laggy? that's something completely new to me since my MM is as smooth as ever.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I couldn't find anything from Apple saying it's Teflon. The Magic Mouse slides nowhere as smooth as my Logitech G9x, it just seems like plastic to me.
The Magic Mouse's DPI from some sources I've read is only 1300DPI which is pretty bad if you're used to extremely fast tracking like I am. Switching to the Magic Mouse was just painfully slow, but the gestures made up for it. You could try setting the tracking speed higher, but you loose accuracy when doing so.

I can vouch for that. I just wanted to give Logitech a heads-up that my G9's scroll wheel had rusted... this was around 2.5 years and everything else was working perfectly. 2 exchanged emails later and I got a brand new G9x in the mail which I'm using now!

Yup, I honestly feel bad sometimes. Recently, they even replaced this miniature mouse I use on the go that's long been discontinued. I'm surprised they even had parts, let alone spares. They usually don't even ask for the old one back.

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
The only contact the mouse should have with your desk are the two teflon rails. The rails should be relative even, also look to see if the battery cover is sticking out.

If there is a Apple store nearby, you can go and take a look. Otherwise, search google images or Youtube for Magic Mouse to see what the bottom should look like.

A mouse pad isn't needed with these mice. To rule that out, try a piece of notebook or printer paper as mouse pad and see if its still as noisy.

If the mouse is a recent purchase, worst case scenario is to return it for an exchange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.