Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
My Air's charger works only when it wants to and totally randomly, and since it's out of warranty I have to buy a new one. I read somewhere that Mac chargers auto-detect which laptop model you're connecting and regulate the Watts accordingly, so I was wondering, since they all cost the same, if it was better to get the 85W charger instead of the 45W that comes with the Air. Are there any downsides? Is it bigger?

Thanks for the help!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Are there any downsides? Is it bigger?

It's bigger and heavier. I use one at home, where it's permanently plugged in but I have my standard 45w for the road.

Psssh... U may want to clean the MagSafe with an air can. It may do magic.

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
It's bigger and heavier. I use one at home, where it's permanently plugged in but I have my standard 45w for the road.

Psssh... U may want to clean the MagSafe with an air can. It may do magic.
Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately I already tried with not luck. It's strange, sometimes it works right away, sometimes it will start charging after an hour it's been plugged and sometimes won't charge at all... I even had it tested at an Apple store and it resulted OK...
Is the 85W much bigger and heavier? On the Apple site there are no specifics...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My Air's charger works only when it wants to and totally randomly, and since it's out of warranty I have to buy a new one. I read somewhere that Mac chargers auto-detect which laptop model you're connecting and regulate the Watts accordingly, so I was wondering, since they all cost the same, if it was better to get the 85W charger instead of the 45W that comes with the Air. Are there any downsides? Is it bigger?

Thanks for the help!
There is no harm in using a more powerful MagSafe adapter.

Intel-Based Apple notebooks: Identifying the right power adapter and power cord
Power adapters for Intel-based Apple notebooks are available in 45W, 60W, and 85W varieties. Although you should always use the proper wattage adapter for your Apple notebook, you can use an adapter of a higher wattage without issue.
Note: MagSafe 2 connectors are not backwards compatible, so you cannot use a MagSafe 2 connector with computers that do not have a MagSafe 2 port. However, you can use your older MagSafe power adapter on newer computers with a MagSafe ports by using a MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Is the 85W much bigger and heavier?
They're the same size.

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
They're the same size.

Thank you! Your answer couldn't possibly be more complete! Just one thing: are you sure they're the same size? I thought so judging from the photos on the Apple store, but I found discording statements on the web. What about the weight?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thank you! Your answer couldn't possibly be more complete! Just one thing: are you sure they're the same size? I thought so judging from the photos on the Apple store, but I found discording statements on the web. What about the weight?
Yes, they're basically the same size and weight. If there's any small difference in weight or size, you wouldn't be able to discern it.
The 85 watt magsafe adapter is much larger than the 45 watt one.
Not true:

85w Dimensions: 7.3 x 6.1 x 2.5 inches
45w Dimensions: 7.3 x 6.1 x 2.3 inches

Last edited:

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Yes, they're basically the same size and weight. If there's any small difference in weight or size, you wouldn't be able to discern it.

Not true:

Good, so the only logical thing to do is to get the 85W!
Thank you for the help!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Good, so the only logical thing to do is to get the 85W!
Thank you for the help!
If you only plan to use it with your MBA, it's better to get the adapter that's designed for it. While it's not harmful to use a higher wattage adapter, it's recommended to use the one that's made for your model.

Although you should always use the proper wattage adapter for your Apple notebook, you can use an adapter of a higher wattage without issue.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Not true:

That's the size of the boxes....

I can tell you that my 85 Watt for my 2011 Macbook Pro is much larger than the one for my 2011 Macbook Air. The 85 watt adapter is at least twice as large.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That's the size of the boxes....

I can tell you that my 85 Watt for my 2011 Macbook Pro is much larger than the one for my 2011 Macbook Air. The 85 watt adapter is at least twice as large.
You're right, I got the box size instead of the adapter size, but I don't recall there being any noticeable size difference.

My 85w is roughly 3⅛"x3⅛"x1⅛"

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

Not true:

Those are the box dimensions. Your magsafe adapter is not 7 inches long! :D

The 45w is 2.5" x 2.5" x 1.25", and is 190g including the duck head.
The 85w is 3.25" x 3.25" x 1.25" and is 300g including the duck head.

30% bigger, 58% heavier. If you have no real reason to buy the 85 - get the 45. It's a noticeable difference (1/4 lb) and its more expensive.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
"Size" is so subjective. :). But there ain't no way am lugging an 85w with me when I knows the smaller plug exists.

But back to ur REAL prob. I would pursue that connector throughly. Not making good contact am thinking.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
There is no harm in using a more powerful MagSafe adapter.

Intel-Based Apple notebooks: Identifying the right power adapter and power cord

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

They're the same size.

They're very different in weight, and somewhat in size, but neither are what I'd consider even remotely heavy. In fact, the 85W is more like normal, and the 45W borders on absurdly small.

----------

Those are the box dimensions. Your magsafe adapter is not 7 inches long! :D

The 45w is 2.5" x 2.5" x 1.25", and is 190g including the duck head.
The 85w is 3.25" x 3.25" x 1.25" and is 300g including the duck head.

30% bigger, 58% heavier. If you have no real reason to buy the 85 - get the 45. It's a noticeable difference (1/4 lb) and its more expensive.

Percentage-wise it seems big, but in absolute terms, it's a fairly small difference. Both are pretty tiny adapters. But I agree, don't get the 85W if you don't need to, even if on the basis of price alone.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
We have 13-MBP, 15-MBP, and 13-MBAs at our house. The chargers for the MBAs are easily discernible from the MBP15 -- somewhat smaller in the former case. Not a real big deal, but the MBA chargers could easily slip into a padded sleeve next to the MBA, while the larger one may not be as food of a travelling companion.

They work well, though. So much so that my daughter took the "wrong" one with her to school. As she said, it charges the Air much faster.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
They're the same size.

No they aren't.

I've had both 85w and the smaller 45w MBA 11" charger in the house and they are most certainly NOT the same size. They're similar size, but compare side by side, and they just aren't.

The 85w charger will work fine however and it will charge your machine quicker. It is safe though as the charger will regulate it's output to prevent damaging your battery.

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009

Thanks for the help!

I work at a local computer repair shop. We got a free 85W Mag Safe and I have been using it for over a Year. Have not had any problems. I even asked apple just to be on the safe side and make sure not warranty would be void or anything. They said the charger will automatically change to the lower Watts when I connect the air. I use a 2011 MacBook Air.

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Thank you all for the infos/suggestions!
I'll try again to clean the connector, but I haven't got much hope...
I thing I'll go for the 45W (79€/105$, urgh!), less compatible but much nicer for traveling!

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Thank you all for the infos/suggestions!
I'll try again to clean the connector, but I haven't got much hope...
I thing I'll go for the 45W (79€/105$, urgh!), less compatible but much nicer for traveling!

Be sure to clean both sides (cable and computer) of the power connector :D

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
I've got several MBP/MBA models that I use at work, so I just leave a 85W magsafe 1 version permanently plugged into my workspace and use a magsafe 2 adapter for my air. It's great having the flexibility that that adapter provides.

I've also got the same one plugged into a bedside stand at home. No need to worry about which macbook I have, they all work with the adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.